shed antlers

The popular off-season pastime is quickly becoming a sport itself. Help cure antler illness by sharing your shed hunting tactics.
buckfever007

RE: Shed Antlers

Postby buckfever007 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:51 pm

yea, it definitely applies in IL. im from IL too, and the deer that are sick or stressed out from the winter lose them earlier. im leavin tomorrow to go look so wish me luck!

roadkilldk

Postby roadkilldk » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:35 am

Good luck, I went out yesterday with a buddy looking for sheds, but didn't have any luck.  However it was a good time and found a couple of rub lines and did some scouting so all in all another good day in the woods.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:08 pm

Hey guys...Not sure if you're interested or not but we have a pretty good sized 'shed antler' thread going on in the WI section.  I think guys from all over are posting in there so it's not just for WI!  Just thought I'd let you know...Link is below!

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=21713&mpage=9&key=&#32459

QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:09 am

Awesome Reeper! Congrats!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:29 am

Thanks Goose. Looking forward to seeing some pics of some of those big WI sheds[;)]
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:13 am

Congrats...all this and land at camp and I have found one shed ever...but have found full sculls with racks..[&o]....I have been watching the tracks and knew we had a buck or two that stayed on the property...but kicked up a young buck...no rack...but followed track to his bedding area and urine in all the beds.....think a 1 1/2 old. Then I have been seeing the rash of end of year rubs....which is when most rubbing here takes place....they have destroyed another two pines and went into my fruit garden and rubbed the bark off my dogwood tree...again....pretty sure this time will be the killer...it was a wild transplant ...they waited until it got 20ft tall before hitting it...all this with in the last week.....The cold snap will drive them into the surrounding pine  plantations and down to the swamp/pine cover for warmth....2 degrees and high winds and snow right now.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:25 am

I have found a couple of sheds but not while actually looking for them . Purely by accident ..........
Semper Fi !

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:11 am

I know it is too late for this year, but has anyone got a good/effective design for shed trapsImage  I started hunting for them after the 2008 season and came up empty and as of today, I haven't found any although I haven't spent much time, waiting for the snow to melt a little.  Thanks for your help, [size="4"]Tom Mac

[/size]
[size="2"]ps - What do you think, is this a buck in the embedded photo [/size]Image[size="2"]  What ever it is it is a nice deer & in good shape considering it is February in Upstate NY.[/size][size="4"]
[/size]

I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

gjs4

Postby gjs4 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:34 pm

pikce dup close to a foot here in Attica over the past 2 days..... guess i am nto headed out for a bit[8|]

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:21 am

It has been above freezing here during the day and below during the night. Have been tapping the trees the last few days. We have lost alot of snow (still a decent amount on the ground) but I can't wait to get back out there and look for some more sheds/scount. I can't wait for sping, I have had enough winter already!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Next

Return to Shed Hunting