7mm for elk

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
hookset6969

7mm for elk

Postby hookset6969 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:16 pm

My buddy wants to buy a 7mm for elk hunting and I think it's a little small, What do you all think? He plans on using it out in IDAHO.

Faedrus

RE: 7mm for elk

Postby Faedrus » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:34 pm

7mm sounds small for Elk. Thats about equivalent to a .280 I believe. If your friend is an exceptional shot, then it isn't so much of an issue b/c shot placement is important.
I'm guessing he's going to buy a 7mm Rem Mag so he can make long range shots. That might be based on the idea that Elk are hard to get close to. I wonder about that because I had a herd of elk pass between myself and a friend while we were stand hunting for deer last November. They came within 10 feet before smelling us and stampeding (luckily not towards us!)
If your friend spends lots on nice ammo (ie. Barnes Triple-shock) then its okay to use this caliber because the wound will be size of a golf ball by the time it reaches the other side.
I'm curious about what others will say to this caliber choice for elk.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:52 am

I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks too...Never elk hunted but would like to take this up and make regular trips out west.
QDM!

dewey

Postby dewey » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 am

I have a Browning A-bolt 7 mm wsm and I used it elk hunting last fall in SW Montana.  I could not convince an elk to partake in the target practice, but everything I have heard is that the smallest you would want to go elk hunting with is a 270.  A lot of folks swear by the 300 win mag.  I happen to think as long as you know the ballistics of your weapon like the back of your hand and can accurately place that bullet out to 300-400 yards then you should be fine with whatever you want to shoot with.  I got a 7 mm wsm because it is a very flat and fast gun that I can use for deer hunting and elk hunting.

I am a member of Sage Creek forums and they have a General Firearms section and there has been 100's of threads talking about the different caliber sizes for elk.

http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/viewforum.php?f=63

I feel there are much more important things to be worried about than your gun.
[ol][*]Being accurate with your weapon.
[*]WIND.
[*]Optics.
[*]Being in shape for the hunt, mentally and physically.
[*]Understanding elk behavior.
[*]There are many more than I have listed here but this is just the tip of the iceberg.[/ol]

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

metrx

Postby metrx » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:38 am

300 Win Mag

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:11 pm

I am here to tell you that a 7MM Mag is more than capable of taking elk. Matter of fact it is the one caliber that is recommended for all round North American big game animals. If you use the heavier weight bullets, it is even better than a .300 mag because the ballistics are better. The .300 drops faster, sooner than the 7 MM Mag. Not much, but enough to matter when you are shooting from one mountain side to the next. Everyone at the camp refers to my Browning A-Bolt 7 MM Mag as "Maw Bell" because when you need to reach out and touch something, it gets it done.

As for everything else, I second what dewey said. It's all about knowing your weapon regardless of what caliber it is. Make the shot in the right place and a .223 will do the job. It might not knock an elk off his feet but he will die just the same. I mean, if the same arrow set up we use on deer will work on elk, then the bullet should be no different. It's called shot placement!
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

dewey

Postby dewey » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:00 am

ORIGINAL: SHKYBoonie
I mean, if the same arrow set up we use on deer will work on elk, then the bullet should be no different. It's called shot placement!

AMEN!

A thread talking about the best gun for hunting ends up being a Ford vs Chevy vs De lorean discussion.  Know your gun and what the ballistics are and you will be fine.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

MountainCatt

Postby MountainCatt » Mon May 03, 2010 1:45 pm

ORIGINAL: dewey

AMEN!

A thread talking about the best gun for hunting ends up being a Ford vs Chevy vs De lorean discussion.  Know your gun and what the ballistics are and you will be fine.

Dewey

Great advice!!!

Most "experts" consider the .270 WIN to be about minimum for ethically hunting elk (assuming proper shot placement of course). 

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon May 03, 2010 3:33 pm

I think this is something that is way over analyzed.  A .30-30 Winchester will kill an Elk.  So will a .22 caliber rifle.  The biggest consideration that needs to be made is what is the range and what are the shooter's limitations? 

If the guy is afraid of the gun, it doesn't matter what the caliber is. I'd rather hunt with someone that shoots a .243 Win well than a guy that has a .300 Mag that he's scared to death of.  The guys I hunt with shoot nothing larger than .30-06 Springfield, most .308 Win, and when you hear a shot, you're pretty sure there is work to do.

Return to Guns and Ammo