Started a new Class at the YMCA...

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
DoeEyed

Started a new Class at the YMCA...

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:11 am

called Fit For Life. It's an hour long class 3 times a week for 8 weeks. We run... do step ups... run... jump rope... run... do stairs... run... do grapevines... run... skip... run... lift weights... run. Did I mention running?? 

My legs are sore today but my SHINS were killing me last night. Is there anything I can do to lessen the impact and prevent the soreness or at least take it down a notch?  
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

metrx

RE: Started a new Class at the YMCA...

Postby metrx » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:46 am

You know the saying..."No pain, No gain."
I'm not sure what you mean by "lessen the impact"...is it painful on your knees and ankles?  Invest in a good pair of running shoes or cross trainer type sneakers. 
As far as your shins...they call that pain "shin splints".  Try stretching often, not just right before the class.  A good one to stretch the shin area is to stand...leg curl you foot up so your heal is against your butt and grab the top of your foot in your hand and stretch the shin muscles...hold for 10 seconds each time.
Proper stretching is good for overall soreness, (and to help prevent injuries) both before and after exercise.  The pain you feel is in part due to a build up of lactic acid in the muscle as well as muscle lack of use.  Drink plenty of fluids always to help reduce lactic acid build up and keep "running".  Your muscles will get used to the training and the soreness goes away in time.  Also, I know this main sound weird, but train while the muscles are sore...it hurts, but to me feels good..."good pain" as they say.
Keep up the good work.   

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:46 am

ORIGINAL: DoeEyed
My legs are sore today but my SHINS were killing me last night. Is there anything I can do to lessen the impact and prevent the soreness or at least take it down a notch?  

Yep.

A. Ice is your friend! The best method I have found for shins is to fill plastic trash can with ice water and sit with your legs submerged up to the knees for as long as you can stand it. Repeat as often as you can. It's brutal but it really helps.

B. Buy good shoes. Don't go to a big-box sporting goods store. Go to a specialty shop for runners where the staff are actually involved in training. If you are not aware of one in your area, contact a coach and ask them where to look. You can expect to spend some bucks, but again, it is worth it.*

C. I take a daily dose of Glucosamine/Condroitin and fish oil concentrate. I am convinced that they help to lubricate my joints and keep inflammation down.

* I tend to be a DIY type. I wear ratty old sweats instead of Under Armor. I prefer to flip tractor tires over using high-tech machines. I think a lot of fitness gear is a rip off. But not good shoes! That is one area where I think it is very important to spend top dollar by getting fitted and buying quality. The guys at our local runners specialty shop taught me things about my stride and fixed problems I'd had my whole life.

Oh and by the way. What are grapevines?   

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:16 am

The best thing I have found for shin splints is to have someone put you in a straight ankle lock and vary the amount of applied pressure. If you have noone around I cross one shin infront of the other at like a 45 degree angle, curl your toes on the leg in front, and apply pressure from the back leg to stretch out your shin. I am horrible at explaining things (especially without showing).
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 am

Sounds like a great class Doe Eyed, that combination of aerobic and anaerobic activity will quickly whip you onto shape.  In so far as your shins go, as metrx indicated it sounds like you might possibly have the iniittial stages of shin splints...its a common runners affliction, especially in those who quickly do a lot of running activity in a short period of time.  Much if it is tied to your in-step and whether or not your flat-footed...this is one of the reasons the military used to disqualify recruits from serving if they were flat footed.  Now a days, they are able to get around this through proper fitting running shoes and a good regiment of stretching before and after you exercise.  So i would first suggest you check your running shoes and invest in a good pair with adequate support and cushioning to lessen the impact on your joints and tendons.  A good athletic footwear store can assist you with that.  Second I would try the following pre and post exercise stretches to mitigate the effects of shin-splints, they worked for me in the almost 20 years I've been in the military.  First exercise is just a flexing one.  you can do this sitting or standing but lift one leg approximately a foot off the ground and while flexing at the ankles rotate your foot up and down for about 20 reps on each foot.  The second exercise I like is a calf stretch, and I suall do this on a curb or against the wall while standing.  with your heal on the ground about 4-6 inches away from the curb or wall, rest the ball of your foot against the curb or wall and while flexing at the ankles move your body slowly ( a 3 count) forward until you can feel the back of your calves stretching...do this for about 30 seconds each foot.  I do both of these before and after any kind of running or aerobic activity and since doing so I've never had shin splints again.  I'm sure JPH could also give you some great pointers and additional exercises.  Good luck and keep up the good work!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:37 am

Thank you so much guys! I could not figure out a good way to stretch my shins but what you all mentioned feels great. I even understood you reeper! Works good! We do warm up and stretch before and after class but the instructers at the Y never seem to incorporate enough at the end of the workout. At least not for me. 
  I thought that my shoes were adequate ( I have Nike trail running shoes that are quite cushy) but went to the Nike running website and found out that I seem to overpronate based on the wear of my shoes so I probably need more stability. I would'nt be surprised if I have other issues as well So I will look into finding a good shoe shop and getting their advice and different shoes. This class is hard for me right now but I already know it is something I would like to stick with. Having to pay for it also ups the motivation.
  JPH I am glad you mentioned taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin. I was going to ask if anyone supplemented with those but forgot. 

As for grapevines....it's like criss crossing your legs as you walk sideways. 

Standing with your feet together step out to the right with your right foot. Step behind your right leg with your left foot. Step out to the right with your right foot. Step across in front of your right leg with your left foot. Repeat. And then go the opposite way.  Step to the left. Step behind your left leg with your right foot. Step to the left. Step across in front of left leg with right foot. 

You can google grapevine exercises if you need a visual.

Thanks Guys!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:05 pm

Glad to hear :)
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:50 pm

Went and got a new pair of shoes today. My arch flattens out when I walk and I overpronate so I got cushy stability shoes with good arch support. Not cheap like ya mentioned but should be worth it. They'll get their 1st test run tomorrow. Can't wait!

dkdesign

Postby dkdesign » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:08 am

Nice new avatar DoeEyed.  Did you take that pic?

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:25 am

Thank you. But no,I did'nt take it.

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness