question about trails

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
easports

RE: question about trails

Postby easports » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:48 am

I've got a similar situation where I have rights on 32 areas of raw land between some housing complexes which boarding this property. Basically I'm restricted to one area to park and enter the property. I have set up a permanent blind and two food plots on the land. I do see deer and have take some nice deer from that property but my reason for writing is regarding the situation of scent control. What do you do in this situation? The only option that I can see is spray down before you leave, once you arrive and before you exit.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:14 pm

I dont think you would have scared ALL the deer off in the area after one hunt and one kill..Its possible that some deer could be on to being hunted but not all of them. If theres isnt a lot of hunting pressure I would just stay put. I have killed a few deer out of the same stand and still see deer. However there are times where Ill shoot one and then wont see any for a while.. You just gotta stay put and sooner or later one will show.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Pursuit Hunter

Postby Pursuit Hunter » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:42 am

Sounds to me like the deer probably just changed their patterns. Could be from the hunting pressure, but just as likely that it was due to changing food preferences, prevailing winds, the rut, or maybe just deer being deer. One thing is for certain, they went somewhere and there will be sign where they are. The key is finding that fresh sign and hunting there. You gotta stay on the move, just like the deer.
Hunting takes place before you climb into your stand. Everything after that is just shooting. TM

www.pursuithunting.com

Semper Fi

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:52 am

Spraying down when you leave !!! Just when I thought I knew it all. Thaks too much.

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:03 am

I have 68 acres and 13 stands. I move as much as I can but it's hard to stay out of a couple favorites. Get another stand or two if and when you can. I always try to read and learn and i'll listen to others until I find what works best. But I guess that's why you joined this forum, Huh? And oh yeah, spray down on the way out too!

Previous

Return to All About Deer Sign