New Hunting-Themed Restaurant Competes with Fast Food

Ben Sobieck

New Hunting-Themed Restaurant Competes with Fast Food

Postby Ben Sobieck » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:52 am

A new hunting-themed restaurant in Florida aims to compete with the fast food joints of the world. As a franchise, it has the potential to promote hunting and fill bellies nationwide. Note the mounts on the wall.

- Ben Sobieck, online editor

Jacksonville, Fla.; March 4, 2010 – Hunt Club Subs N Grill, a new outdoor themed quick service restaurant franchise, opened its first restaurant on Jacksonville, Florida's southside on March 1st.

Located at 6426 Bowden Road, the rustic style restaurant, featuring a hunting/fishing cabin décor with a fireplace, wooden floors and video screens with outdoor and sports programming, offers a selection of hamburgers, sub sandwiches, hot dogs and beer, in addition to a breakfast menu.

The franchise concept is the first store for the husband and wife ownership team of Bo and Violet Lawrence. Bo Lawrence has over 15 years experience in developing and owning several nationally known fast casual food franchise operations in Northeast Florida. Violet Lawrence has a background in advertising/marketing for national companies in Chicago and Atlanta.

"Hunting, fishing and sitting around the hunt camp has been a part of my whole life," Lawrence explained. "So I wanted to create a local place where the whole family can come and enjoy great food and share their outdoor experiences with friends and neighbors." The tables throughout the restaurant display photos of hunting trips, trophies and catches from friends and families in the Jacksonville area.

The signature menu items include a section called "Wallhangers," an oversized serving of hamburgers, subs and hotdogs. And the signature side is Redneck Fries named for its special Redneck pepper. All hamburgers are made from fresh 100% Certified Angus beef instead of frozen beef patties.

"I believe we have a great concept for building a new business, particularly in today's tough economy," Lawrence said. Two more franchises in Northeast Florida are currently in the works. "Our goal is to have 25 – 30 stores throughout the Northeast Florida region," Lawrence said.

In addition to developing the concept into a profitable business, Lawrence plans on using the franchises to help support local and national outdoor conservation groups.

The Hunt Club will have a grand opening celebration on March 13th with specials and prizes for customers. Captain Kevin Favor, Jeff Lageman and Captain Kirk Waltz of The Outdoor Show from Radio 1010XL will broadcast live at the restaurant from 7 – 10 AM. A 2-night/3 day turkey hunt trip with Captain Favor (filmed for a TV show) will be given away as the grand prize.

The restaurant is open 7 AM – 9 PM Monday through Friday and 8 AM – 9 PM on Saturdays.

Ohio farms

RE: New Hunting-Themed Restaurant Competes with Fast Food

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:41 am

Great idea. Is this a great country or what??
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

rem700

Postby rem700 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:19 am

I live in jacksonville fl i will check it out when it can.
Robert

metrx

Postby metrx » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:03 am

I was hoping it was going to serve different types of "game" meats.  I had to read it twice to find that it is only a "themed" restaurant that serves beef burgers, hot dogs, etc. 
I wonder how it will do...will alot of people be offended by the theme and decor and not even try the food based on that alone?  Are there alot of liberals in Florida? 
Interesting concept though.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:52 am

You may have a point there about attendance at this restaurant , but keep in mind that not all liberals are tree-huggers. Actually lots of us hunt and kill our food and love and have fought for our country just like conservatives.  Just a thought.

metrx

Postby metrx » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:14 am

Point taken.  I hope I didn't offend you or anyone else. 

Working in, growing up in and still living just outside a big city, I guess I'm just used to the typical anti-gun, anti-hunting, tree-hugging, raise welfare, hit the middle class harder so the do nothings can sit on their butts while everyone works to support them-liberals.

dkdesign

Postby dkdesign » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:02 am

sounds good I wish them luck!  I also wish they would properly display our flag.  In the picture the flag is hung backwards.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:46 am

Just thought I would point that out. The word Liberal is not all negative, nor is the word Conservative. I have great friends in both camps.  By the way, you forgot "bed-wetting" in your description[:D][:D]

Nice catch on the flag positioning DK.

baddoghunter

Postby baddoghunter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:38 am

First things first they do have the flag faced improperly. When in a vertical position against a wall the stars should be on the left. I also think the resteraunt in some areas and states would have a much better chance of surving if it offered both venison and other game animals such as Alligator tail in Florida would be a hit and venison burgers or meatloaf, for sure different types of stew or chili and even steak diners etc. I go to a game dinner every year and they make great venison cutlets. They pound the meat to tenderize it a bit and bread it and season it and then fry it. They make a great tidbit where they take little pieces of venison, pheasant, and duck or goose and roll it in seasoned flower and deep fry it. A hot dog is a hot dog but some made with elk or caribou would be great etc. I was a bit disapointend that they were not going to really offer any real game meat. Of course it could not be wild game meat and would need to be farm raised anyway I would imagine so it was legal in most states and also a way to follow the foods origins in case of some type of food borne illness.The game dinner I go to also takes duck meat and grinds it and stuffs it into sausages and then serves it either with onions and peppers or positively the best a plum sauce that is out of this world.Try it at home some time great stuff guys. Happy hunting
My House Is Protected By The Good Lord And Guns.
And You Might Meet Them Both If You Show Up Here Not Welcome Son.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:31 pm

I'm drooling...

Next

Return to Florida