Should I FeedDeer Now??

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
shadow

Should I FeedDeer Now??

Postby shadow » Fri May 23, 2008 2:00 pm

With all the food that seems to be out there now for the deer would it be a good idea to supplement the greens their eating with grain or corn?
When would the best time to put out a feeder be?  What I want to do is to attract and keep deer on my hunting property rather than have them roaming around in search of a food supply. I am not able to make any food plots on this land which is mainly thick forested land.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

twotone3

RE: Should I FeedDeer Now??

Postby twotone3 » Fri May 23, 2008 6:09 pm

This is now my second year providing deer with supplemental food year round.  I have found that there seem to be more deer on the property at all times of the year then previous years.  I encourage using a high protein food during the growing season and switch to a higher carbohydrate food once the antlers have lost their velvet.  I have also put in a couple mineral licks that seem to get a great deal of attention.  My theory is it can't hurt to give the deer more options than they would have normally. 

DeerCamp

RE: Should I FeedDeer Now??

Postby DeerCamp » Fri May 23, 2008 6:59 pm

Its really up to you. I put bait out a few years back at this time and they didnt hit it for a while.. But if you want throw some out and let em know its in the area.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements