Summit Viper SS - best deal?

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Patriot

Summit Viper SS - best deal?

Postby Patriot » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Hello folks,
I've never used a climber, but plan to this coming season.  I've narrowed it down to the Summit Viper SS.  I see them all over in the $260 price range.

Does anyone have any websites or discount codes to share where I can get a better deal?

Also, for those of you who have used this stand, what do you think?  Is it easy to use for archery....does the bar get in the way?

Thanks!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeanoZ

RE: Summit Viper SS - best deal?

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Seen them on Ebay for $243 shipping included.  I have no experience with Summits...I have a lone wolf and found a deal on an Alpha Climber for $260...it was worth every penny and can't imagine using anything else.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:01 pm

I have the Viper SS and I love it!!!  The bar works for me.  If you can afford it, upgrade to the titan or the goliath so you have a bit more room side to side.  I'm 6 foot 6 so the SS can feel a little tight. 

I've sat for 8 hours in mine and fell asleep so that should tell you how comfy they are.

easports

Postby easports » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:37 am

Patriot.....I'm also interested.  Borrowed one last year but want to purchase a climber this year.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:14 am

Whatever you do keep this in mind what you spend is what you get. I have purchased numerous climbers killzone and grizzly (maybe) both in the hundred dollar ball park. What I have noticed is the grizzly (it was a bear name) so will call it that was a very heavy metal. It could be climbed pretty quiet but set up metal on metal was bad. Overall all ended up using it as a climber that I didn't carry just stayed 8n the woods. Next killzone light metal on metal little loud there. It became not worth it when I seen what it did to trees (sure any climber will dig but these teeth tore bark off everytime I climbed the teeth got stuck everytime I climbed cause they were razor blade Sharp). Used a sumit this year a few times and loved it, quiet light and comfort. The seats tear easy on the cheap stands and the straps break.

All said and done if a viper fits your price range get it. Try them before you get them, I hate stands without the guide rail in the front other peole hate them. Try em out!

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:24 am

Edit last post I hate stands without front rails other people say no rails is the only way to go. Personally 25 feet up I need one to feel secure! Other people have said they can't draw their bow back. I practice!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:27 am

Thanks folks!  Keep the ideas coming.  Anyone have insite to a low cost website or discount code?

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:24 am

As mentioned above eBay, but honestly look in local classifieds people buy and try and hate them so sell them cheaper.

14milecreekbucks

Postby 14milecreekbucks » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:13 pm

I have used a Viper SS for the last 2 years and have very few complaints. I used a tree lounge for a few years and the lounge is more comfortable for all day hunts but is far more cumbersome and heavy and noisier to set up than the summit. The rail does not get in the way while bowhunting. the stand folds up very easily and quickly and is not heavy for long treks into the woods. My only suggestion would be to adjust the stand to accomidate climbing larger trees. Other than that I feel it's worth the money. Hope this helps.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:44 am

Thanks folks.  I have a lead for this exact stand from a local seller (individual).  $200.  He has another guy looking at them first.  I hope to get one of the two he is selling.

Next

Return to Tree Stands