With a Bow?

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
bad faulkner

With a Bow?

Postby bad faulkner » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:45 am

Who bowhunts from the ground?

Woods Walker

RE: With a Bow?

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:56 am

Moi'.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bad faulkner

Postby bad faulkner » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:25 am

Woods Walker...with or without a blind? I'm going to try it without. Share some of your secrets.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:11 am

[font="Verdana"][/font]If I use a blind, it's a natural one that may simply be a deadfall log or tree that I've trimmed out shooting lanes beforehand. I may also add some cut saplings or brush to break up my background if need be with the dark cable ties I carry. I also use a ghille suit.

Many of my hunts are stillhunts where I will slowly hunt from one ground blind to another, depending on the conditions and my mood. Some days I don't sit at all, and just move with the rythym of the woods.

There's really no "secrets", other than you have to know your ground extremely well, and you must redefine for yourself what the word "patience" means. It's impossible to move too slowly, and time must have no relevance, other than legal hunting hours.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:14 pm

I shot a Doe this year from the ground no blind or anything. Make a long story short I hunt private land connected to public I was on the property line hunting a swamp and let's say the duck. Hunters were basically in my stand got mad climbed down found a uprooted oak tree prob 500 yards on the edge of a field hid myself and fifteen minutes later a Doe came in. 15 yard shot the deer couldn't see me at all. Made the anger turn to all smiles.

14milecreekbucks

Postby 14milecreekbucks » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:17 pm

I also hunt from the ground when the situation calls for it. I usually try to use what natural ground cover is available but I have also used a ground blind. Hunting from the ground raises the difficulty level tremendously, you need to play the wind and be serious about your scent control. Taking a deer with a bow is a challenge and taking one from the ground is even harder, however it's that much more rewarding as well. Good Luck.

Randy3003

Postby Randy3003 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:44 am

I love hunting from the ground (blind or no blind).  I feel when one hunts from the ground he/she has given the animal its greatest chance of survival.  True it may reduce your chances some, but if done with wind direction, camo, and stealthiness in mind you rarely do I fail to harvest at least something (buck or doe).  Scent cover becomes crucial when on the ground, and most of your shots will a bit further, but with good equipment and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, you too can become proficient on the ground!!!

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:25 pm

from the ground with and without a blind using trad gear. My last buck was a ten point taken from <15 yds without a blind stalked to within 30 then grunted him in. Took him out with a 72 Ben Pearson,two fletch cedar arrows and a zwckey no mercy head.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking