Most antlerless allocations reduced in PA

Everyday Hunter

Most antlerless allocations reduced in PA

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:45 am

It seems that we've reduced the deer herd adequately in PA and the PGC is transitioning from a herd reduction to a herd maintenance mode. The antlerless allocations were made today, and here are the WMU unit numbers for the 2010 antlerless allocations:

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners today approved antlerless license allocations for each of the 22 Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) for the 2010-11 seasons.  After hunters purchase a general hunting license, they may apply for antlerless deer licenses based on staggered timelines, which are outlined in the Pennsylvania Hunting & Trapping Digest presented to each license buyer.

Based on a motion by Game Commissioner Thomas Boop, the antlerless deer license allocations approved by the Board will be reduced by the number of Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) antlerless deer permits issued in each WMU for the 2009-10 seasons.  This reduced number will then be set aside as a maximum number of DMAP permits that will be made available for landowners during the 2010-11 seasons. 

Boop's motion also prohibits the issuance of more DMAP permits for the 2010-11 that were issued for the 2009-10 seasons for each WMU without further Board action.

WMU 1A
allocation will be 41,705, which is decrease from last year's allocation of 42,000.
WMU 1B allocation will be 27,844, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 30,000.

WMU 2A allocation will be 54,879, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 55,000.
WMU 2B allocation will be 68,000, which is the same as last year's. DMAP is not available this year for WMU 2B.
WMU 2C allocation will be 44,107, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 49,000. 
WMU 2D allocation will be 50,123, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 56,000. 
WMU 2E allocation will be 20,407, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 21,000. 
WMU 2F allocation will be 22,148, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 28,000. 
WMU 2G allocation will be 15,210, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 26,000.

WMU 3A allocation will be 25,247, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 26,000.
WMU 3B allocation will be 33,761, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 43,000.
WMU 3C allocation will be 26,358, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 27,000.
WMU 3D allocation will be 31,622, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 37,000.

WMU 4A allocation will be 27,521, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 29,000.
WMU 4B allocation will be 22,148, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 23,000.
WMU 4C allocation will be 34,351, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 35,000.
WMU 4D allocation will be 30,052, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 40,000.
WMU 4E allocation will be 26,899, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 30,000.

WMU 5A allocation will be 18,269, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 19,000.
WMU 5B allocation will be 50,812, which is a decrease from last year's allocation of 51,000.
WMU 5C allocation will be 121,960, which is an increase from last year's allocation of 113,000. 
WMU 5D allocation will be 22,000, which is the same as last year's. DMAP is not available this year for WMU 5D.

So, 19 WMUs have a decrease, 2 remain the same as last year, and 1 has an increase.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

roughrider 123

RE: Most antlerless allocations reduced in PA

Postby roughrider 123 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:25 pm

Yea I hunt in 5C where they increased the permits. If you dig alittle deeper and check out these CAC's as in citizens advisory councils, you find out that all the 27 farmers voted for more kills, the homeowners with flower eating deer voted to kill more, the hunters are pissed because the blue mountain herd on state game lands is shot off and the police view was car collisions were down from previous years, leave it the same.

roughrider out

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:32 pm

They also set it up so DMAP permits now count against the allocation totals. So now, those allocations are hard totals.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:30 am

I used to hunt in Elk County, near Bennezette PA for the rifle opener. Loved going to the mountains, camping with my hunting buddies. Ever since they increased the doe allocations, deer are almost non existant in the area any more. Past 3 years I have hunted dark to dark on the first two days of the season and I think I have seen a total of 8 deer. You could say that I had bad luck or something but everyone in our hunting party, and everyone we talked to weren't seeing deer. Good job PA Game commission. Many people I talk to won't go back to the mountains. Way to ruin a great tradition for hunters all over PA.
Andy

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:20 pm

I laugh at PA residents ...you complain about seeing no deer yet you are the first to buy all the antlerless tags and shoot all the doe you can but then complain that the pgc should reduce the number of tags given out...how about don't use them or buy them...

i know in my wmu not one non-resident will get a doe tag...they were sold out in the first week that means every doe "in the mountians" are killed by the same people who complain about not seeing deer...PA residents

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:49 am

dtrain56 - Yes I am on of those PA residents that buys doe tags, but not for what you think. I buy them so some bone head can't. It has been a couple years since I shot my last doe. The same goes for everyone in my hunting party. I too laugh at PA residents who buy up tags, shoot doe's and then complain. I wish PA hunters would use there head a little more. I am not one of those PA hunters that shoot if it is "brown" as you make it sound above.
Andy

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Well, my apologies to you...i am talking in general..and you would be one of the few PA hunters i have met without the if it is brown it is down mentality

For  people who want to see more deer so much i have seen a lot of "illeagal" buck killed as they walkoff my property onto the public land

and doe killed with no doe tag...

Before we reduce the number of doe tags how about abide by the laws of the state...and i am not talking to you as an individual.. but what i see from the average PA "hunter"

it happens in trout season to...i se guys complain about me being from out of town...well they are from most likley from pittsburg .. no more a Local than I...and i bet i actually pay more in tax in that town then they do...during hunting season or trout season...but anyway what was the point oh yeah to many doe tags....

not on my property...might have to get a local VET from iraq or afganistan to come over an kill a couple...

i have been hunting thier for a decade now and the hunitng has gotten better not worse and I still see a boat load of deer during bow and gun season...i guess i must be lucky or just sitting where all the deer are...

anyway I hope that residents don't use those tags...but i know in my wmu 20 odd thouasond were sold to residents only..we will see how many use them ...then complain they don't see deer !!!!!

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:07 am

dtrain56 - No worries. This is just a touchy subject for me cause I really hate were PA hunting is heading. I do not consider myself a trophy hunter but I definitly try to manage the property's I hunt for the better of the animals there. I let young deer go, no matter what. I don't care if it is a great buck. I want to harvest mature deer that have had a chance to reproduce and better the herd.

My problem with the PA game commission is they how they are handeling our herd. They tell us we need to let you bucks walk and help us do this with the antler restriction. But what are we doing to better help our doe herd. We just simply wipe them out. I don't have a problem with people shooting doe's, as long as it is a mature doe. The game commission gives very little eduction to the public on what a mature doe looks like. I think we need to get away from the "its brown its down" attitude. Lets truly help PA whitetails by educating the public and pushing for mature deer to be shot. Not simply blowing anything away thats in your crosshairs.
Andy

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:20 pm

I am no trophy hunter either...if i were i would hunt in my home state of OHIO, iger racks by far, but i enjoy my property and doing what i can to improve the habitat...

i know it is tough to get people to change their attitude about hunting

heck ..for some people in PA hunting it is a need and supplies the family with a little extra meat....

I eat mostly venison too during the year...

and some people feel it is their right to shoot at what ever they want because they spent their hard earned dollars on a tag....

what the majority fails to realize is that is you do hold off the old trigger for a mature deer, deer hunting in PA will only get better, the numbers will increase and allow for more doe to be harvested with fewer tags sold

I am in the same boat i would like to make the deer hunting better...and try on my land but heck...

i get frustrated when i know the people ( PA residents) complain about herd reduction and not seeing deer when they are right off my back porch shooting deer as fast and furious as they can

and not always legal deer....i would like to see the pgc do three things to make hunting better and it will also help local buisness

1, split the seasons again...one week buck  one week either, buck or doe

this will keep hunters in the woods and in local towns for three weekends...$$$$$ for local economies

2, increase antler restrictions to 4 points state wide

3, earn a doe permit..if you kill legal buck then you get a doe tag

this way people will watch what they shoot and pgc can keep track of bucks killed a little better and actually have an idea of how many deer are really harvested

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:08 am

dtrain56

Like your ideas and think they would work. Def agree with moving entire state to 4 points on side. Would help grow mature bucks throughout the state. The only idea I am not sure about is earn a doe permit.

Don't get me wrong, I think what the PA game Comission is doing right now is wrong. But I agree our herd was way out of whack. People were only shooting bucks and the sex ratio was way out of balance. PA hunters did indeed need to take some does and let some of the bucks grow(which also means letting bucks walk and increasing the buck population). Think it is way past time to reduce doe allocations even more, educate the public to shot mature deer, and move entire state to 4 points on a side.

If we move to a earn a doe permit I don't think enough will ever get shot. Once a hunter gets a buck, he or she will be done hunting. Game commission needs to find a common ground for what is not only best for our herd but what is best for our hunters(the ones who fund them and much of the spending that is spent on the outdoors).
Andy

Next

Return to Pennsylvania