Post-Season Scouting

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
scotman

Post-Season Scouting

Postby scotman » Sun May 04, 2008 3:09 pm

In the March Issue the article "Post-Season Scouting" by Bill Vaznis really motivated me to get out in the woods more often. I been hunting the same area for 20 years but though I know every deer trail and bedding area the bucks always seem to trick me. I have my garmin colorado coming in the mail tommorow so I will put it through some extreme use mapping all the trails and beddings areas out. All I need to do is nail down the Bucks core areas.Thanks Bill for the tips and added inspiration.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

JOEL

RE: Post-Season Scouting

Postby JOEL » Tue May 06, 2008 9:14 am

i like to scout while turkey hunting and right after the deer season ends.i fgure if i bust em no harm done
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed May 07, 2008 5:36 pm

yeah, i do a lot of my scouting after the season and during rifle season here. however another favoirt time is while turkey hunting or even hunting for shrooms. its nice now cuz if you can still find some sheds

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue May 13, 2008 6:09 pm

I just started spring turkey hunting, and I'm starting to think that half of the value of spring turkey hunting is what you learn about deer.  I've found some good looking spots to put up stands, some I've never even considered the area before.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:51 am

my favorite time to scout is at the end of winter when the snow is still on the ground. you can really learn a lot by following tracks in the snow and its really easy to figure out the way the deer move

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features