Bucks In Velvet

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
HiddenHornsRanch

Bucks In Velvet

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:47 pm

Recently I have started seeing bucks with 5-7 inch horns growing already, but there are still does that are carrying fawns. I thought most does have the fawns before the bucks actually start growing horns. Has anyone else seen any bucks, or does still carrying fawns?

lonlon

RE: Bucks In Velvet

Postby lonlon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:52 pm

Bucks carrying fawns? Just kidding. Here in Wis our deer are just starting to recover from a very long hard winter. I have seen bucks with 2 inch horns. Some of our does are carrying fawns, the older does really show. Our fawns are born in late May and early June, by then our bucks are well on their way to sprouting new horns. Good hunting!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:48 pm

I have several pictures of Deer a few weeks ago and none were showing any signs of Antlers yet?I may need to put my camera back out and try again though?Now last year during Turkey Season I had a button Buck walk up to my turkey decoys...sniff them and walk around my ground blind to the salt lick about 30 yards away.It was pretty neat to see that so close up.I've seen several Deer the last few weeks but it has dropped off so maybe they are having their Fawns now and staying hidden for a while?If I remember correctly we found a new-born Fawn in June last year in 2007.

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:48 am

After I saw those few bucks growing, I went ahead and put my camera out and so Im going to let at my bow stand trail for a while to see if its only a few bucks or most of them starting to grow! Im particularly interested in a 17 in wide 8 pointer I passed last year, questioned it, but I have seen him in the off season, and hes a fully mature 4.5-5.5 yr this year, so he should be an exceptional deer!
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Mon May 05, 2008 3:53 pm

Hope U get that buck you passed, any luck finding his sheds? My son and I found 62 sheds this year, 16 matched sets. Hope couple of those boys hang around so we can see them this fall. One actually had a two inch drop tine, first time we have seen that trait. Maybe it is because every body is giving the bucks a chance to get a little age on them? Lon

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed May 07, 2008 1:05 pm

here in michigan i havent seen any bucks in velvet. but should be starting soon. i cant wait to get my cuddeback out and get some shots when they lose the velvet

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu May 08, 2008 7:15 pm

Nothing yet here in PA.  Up north last week even last years fawns look small.  Ans one doe looked really thin. Greenup is just ramping up near my camp.

bad faulkner

Postby bad faulkner » Fri May 09, 2008 5:57 am

Saw a buck in velvet last Sunday at 3:30 PM headed into thick cover just off the road of our hunting club.  Horns looked black from about 60 yards.  Nice big red body.  Probably 6 inches in length.  A buddy of mine saw a bigger one in velvet a few weeks earlier. 

Hemingway, SC

roadkilldk

Postby roadkilldk » Fri May 09, 2008 6:08 am

Checked my camera on wed. the 7th and had a couple of bucks with about 2 inches of new growth, here in central Minnesota.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun May 11, 2008 2:41 pm

[font=tahoma]
Check out these photos.  They are from a 4/27 and 5/1!!!  I hope this guy gets BIG!!!

[/font]

Next

Return to General Discussions