One Buck a Year

Compare notes about local and regional legal issues!
Patriot

RE: One Buck a Year

Postby Patriot » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:43 am

Naturally! [;)][:)]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:26 pm

As mentioned already Ky is a one buck state. Thats why I always send in for the quota hunts on the WMA's here. It is a free buck if you buy a WMA tag and I have killed a few dandies on the quota hunts over the years
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:55 pm

Just to be accurate, in Ohio you can shoot 4 bucks in Zone B, but only one can have antlers 3 inches or more in length.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:40 am

ORIGINAL: Ohio farms

Just to be accurate, in Ohio you can shoot 4 bucks in Zone B, but only one can have antlers 3 inches or more in length.

Back 17, 18 years ago when I was teenager I would try to fill all my tags with bucks, either spikes, button bucks or a buck with antlers greater than 5 in. (that was the max for a antlerless deer back then) or more. It wasn't cool to kill does. Now I'm passing up bucks that are probably 3+ years old because I'm not positives it's not a big 2.5 year old, and hoping to get a shot a couple fat does. How times have changed.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

MI_bowhunter

Postby MI_bowhunter » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:15 am

I like the one buck per year rule, even though in MI you can shoot two (like mentioned before).  For me, knowing the buck-to-doe ratio is completely out of balance here in MI, impose different rules for myself.  I prefer to take a doe with my bow, and then hunt hard for Mr. Big the rest of the season.  Not being able to hunt with my gun because I've already tagged out with a monster with my bow....well....that's a problem I will stomach every year if I can!

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:23 am

After reading this post I think I figured out another reason we don't have the biggest deer here in the South and it's not weather related! In Florida you can take 2 bucks a day for the entire hunting season which runs on and off from Oct. - Feb. Alabama use to be one buck a day but now have limited it to 3 bucks per season but really have no way of enforcing it since they don't have a tag system in place. It's the hunter's honor system method where you fill out the information on the back of your license but are under no obligation to report it to the state.

I think two bucks per year would be a good limit to have along with a pretty liberal doe limit. Honestly, how many families can consume more meat in one year than what you get from 3 or 4 deer in a season? I guess when it comes down to it the "professionals" have it all figured out and we're just here to follow the rules set forth whether we agree with them or not! Even though I've only ever killed more than one buck in a season I do think it would suck to have that limit in place. I can't imagine shooting a buck in October during bow season and then hunting the entire rifle season Nov. - Jan. without being able to shoot another buck.

camel

Postby camel » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:33 am

Here in NS Canada we're allowed one deer per year.Buck only unless you draw a doe tag.Its been buck only here for probably 15 years now and it hasn't done much good for our deer numbers.Thats what our DNR thought would help,don't shoot any does and the herd numbers will grow fast.NOT!!!Then they started giving out doe tags(3000-7000) a year.Our herd is very unbalanced as you can still shoot a buck if you have a doe tag and most do.I think you should have to shoot a doe if your drawn a doe tag.Your still only allowed one deer per year.back in the early 80s you were allowed two per season either sex and we had way more deer around than we do now.I hope for good winters every year to help our deer herd because our DNR doesn't seem to do the right things for the herd.But what do I know.

duckunder

Postby duckunder » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:50 am

Camel...

I'm sure the wolf population does not help your situation either...... We are getting more and more wolves in Wisconsin and the deer numbers are dropping to almost extinction, especially in Northern WI....  Atleast you guys can shoot them though, right ?  We can NOT........aaarrgghhh.

camel

Postby camel » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:24 am

ORIGINAL: duckunder

Camel...

I'm sure the wolf population does not help your situation either...... We are getting more and more wolves in Wisconsin and the deer numbers are dropping to almost extinction, especially in Northern WI....  Atleast you guys can shoot them though, right ?  We can NOT........aaarrgghhh.

No wolves in this part of canada duckunder.Lots of coyotes though and bear.we can hunt yotes all year long though.
Draw,Anchor,Aim,Release=Game Over

muzzyswuirrel@gmail.

Postby muzzyswuirrel@gmail. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:44 pm

ohio is multiple antlerless, one buck. it is kinda depressing isnt it?
muzzysquirrel

Previous

Return to Regulatory issues