RIFLE CHOICE

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
jyeomans

RE: RIFLE CHOICE

Postby jyeomans » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:55 am

Does a .270 have less of a recoil than a .308 or 30-06 thanks. John 

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:29 am

That will depend on a lot of different things.  Weight of the rifle, weight of the ejecta, velocity, stock fit to the cheek and face. 

Purely through numbers the .270 Win will mostly have less calculated recoil for like bullet weights in relation to bore size than the .308 Win & .30-06.

Faedrus

Postby Faedrus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:14 pm

Hey Yeomans,

here is a link to the Chuck Hawks recoil table. It tells you how much kick each caliber gives.
Salmon is right in saying that rifle weight does matter. Savage guns are heavier which does help accuracy.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

berudd

Postby berudd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:17 am

Considering that the .270 and 30.06 use the same case I would expect that recoil with both using 150gr bullets to be the same.  Perhaps the .06 will have a bit more since you will have more case capacity due to the fact the .30 caliber 150gr bullet is shorter than the .270 caliber 150gr bullet and therefore does not protrude as far in the case but I have very serious doubts anyone can feel the difference.  I would expect the lighter bullets in .270 to recoil less and the heavier bullets in 30.06 to recoil more the the differences will not be substantial.  I have shot the .270 with 130gr and the .308 with 150gr back to back and I think the .308 had perceptably less recoil but not to a huge degree.  Both were Savage bolt actions rifles so the weight of the rifles was pretty much the same.

If recoil is a concern, I think all of these are close enough that you probably need to look to different rounds to find a major difference.

berudd

Postby berudd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:20 am

Both rounds are excellent for deer.  Typcially, the .308 will have an action that is shorter than the .270 which meand the rifle can be more compact.  Some would say that you can cycle the shorter action faster but if I am really all that concerned with how fast I can get off a second shot I would probably not choos a bolt action rifle.

ORIGINAL: jyeomans

I want to thank every one for there input for answering my questions of rifle choice. A friend of mine recommended the new winchester 70 in .308 or .270. Does anyone have any opinion of these rifles. THANKYOU JOHN YEOMANS

cabbage head

Postby cabbage head » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:37 pm

I recently decided to buy a new bolt action after years of using Browning rifles and being happy with them. The rifle I selected was the Tikka T3. It was hard to top some of the features. I choose the 270 in synthetic and stainless. For a stainless steel rifle, the weight was amazingly lite. The action length is the same for all cal. they just put a stop in for the shorter 308 ect. It is accurate and  a pleasure to handle. The Sako is the same rifle with some better features, but I decided they were not worth the additional cost.

berudd

Postby berudd » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:18 am

ORIGINAL: cabbage head

The action length is the same for all cal. they just put a stop in for the shorter 308 ect. It is accurate and  a pleasure to handle. The Sako is the same rifle with some better features, but I decided they were not worth the additional cost.

Interesting. I would probably look elsewhere for a short action rifle then. While I think it is marginal, the .308 does generate less velocity and energy than a 30-06. Why would I give up that and not get the main advantage, in my opinion, of a short action round which is the shorter, handier rifle?

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo