I wonder if my camera is working right now.

shadow

RE: I wonder if my camera is working right now.

Postby shadow » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks GTO... I actually have been asking 2tony about the solar panel and rechargeable batteries for my D-40's.
I'll need to look into it further, thanks.
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:12 am

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

Shadow..I've been using my Energizer Rechargable D-batteries in my I-60 Moultrie Camera and they do just fine and last a good while.If I put my Camera on the 15 second Video it will use up more SD card space and battery life when I get a lot of Deer,racoon and squirrels on it but I just keep an extra set of batteries charged up and when I check my camera I change them out and bring the worn down batteries home and recharge them again so in the long run the rechargable batteries pay for themselves.In the Winter time the cold weather is definetly harder on the batteries and will not last as long as say the warmer days of Spring,Summer and Fall.

Now I have the older Moultrie Trail Camera and it uses the larger square 6V 4.5 Ah/20HR batteries and they don't last near as long as the regular round battery's.I ended up buying a few extra batteries from our local Feed & Hardware Store that are actually from Wildgame Innovations Game Feeders model #6VB battery,they are the same battery as the Moultrie's and easier to find where I live rather than ordering via the Internet through Moultrie.The best route to go would be to buy the solar chargers,they are constantly charging the batteries and You don't have to worry about dead batteries out in the field!   

What's the mAh on those rechargeables that you are using.  The ones I have tried are also Energizer, and they are 2500 mAh, and don't seem to work that well once it gets colder.  Summer they are fine.  I may have asked you this before, but if not, was wondering what size they are?  I've heard that for trail cams you have to have at least 5000 mAh for them to work properly.  The non-rechargeables that you buy are around 10,000 mAh I believe...Correct me if I'm wrong?!
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:13 am

Also, I use a Moultrie D40.
QDM!

extroverted

Postby extroverted » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:33 pm

Shadow
I use solar panels on all my set-ups, and they run 24/7 365 in Michigan and as everyone knows Michigan goes down to the -30 degrees F. although I use a special battery and a super solar panel, that I bought off a guy from ebay.
Before I bought from him he shared some insight about how the other companies are not giving all they can give to save you batteries, yes there are a couple of things they are not selling you like, A BLOCKING MODULE this shuts off the power discharge when the solar panel does not have direct sun light like on cloudy days and during the night.

He also claimed that his unit was plug and play and he was right I just plugged the solar panel into my battery and then the battery into the camera and walked away!!!.

Lastly told me that there was a 20ty year warranty on his units, and for me that's a big plus!!!
I think you can find his products on bowsite under hunting gear; you will have to trust me on this!!!
You will love this solar panel, especially since it's only $40.00 and he ships it for free!!!

I have attached a photo from his ad, on bowsite

Hope this helps...

John

Previous

Return to Scouting Cameras