Nikon ProStaff Scopes...

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
wseested

Nikon ProStaff Scopes...

Postby wseested » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:45 am

Hello everyone, I'm Bill and new to this board. I am a frequent member on the Turkey & Turkey Hunting Forum, but just getting started on this one. Anyways, I thought I'd start by posing a question.

I am looking into buying a new scope for a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .243. I think I have narrowed things down to either a Leupold or Nikon, but currently leaning more towards the Nikon side because of the cost of the Leupold.

I'm looking to spend about $250 at the most, and am interested in the Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm scope. Does anyone have any experience with this particular model? Most of what I have heard has been good, but I am a little concerned with a few reviews stating that they don't hold a center very well. I would also like to make sure I get one with a finger click adjustment rather than one you need to adjust with a screwdriver. Any help would be great, thank you!

berudd

RE: Nikon ProStaff Scopes...

Postby berudd » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Well, I'll admit to never having used a Nikon scope but considering the reputation of the company I doubt you will end up with a POS. But I am sure that if you ask this question to enough people some will claim all Nikon scopes are crap. And I suspect an equal number wil claim that all Leupold scops are crap. That's just the nature of this kind of a question on a message board. If you like the scope and think it will meet your needs you are probably correct.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:21 am

I have one on my 243 and found it easy to sight in...and for me that's saying a lot....I'm not use to scopes....and the optics are bright and clear...I took a buck my first time out with it....

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:32 am

I have a 3x9 pro staff on my .270.  Works great.

mgemmill

Postby mgemmill » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:39 am

Welcome Bill, I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 on my Encore. I love the scope ,its clear, and works well at low light. Have u thought about the Nikon with the Ballistic - plex recticle. We can't hunt with rifles in Delaware but I bet you can 250 to 300 yds with that gun. Sight in at 100 and use the dots out to 300.

mohican

Postby mohican » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:55 pm

The ProStaff scope may be okay on a 243.   On my .50 Knight, I tried a 2x7 ProStaff, and it sucked.   It did not hold up, and would not hold zero.   I put the Bushnell scope I had on it first back on, and re zeroed in 3 shots.    Not a fan of the cheaper nikon Pro Staff line of scopes.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:29 pm

ORIGINAL: wseested

... I am looking into buying a new scope for a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .243. I think I have narrowed things down to either a Leupold or Nikon, but currently leaning more towards the Nikon side because of the cost of the Leupold.

I'm looking to spend about $250 at the most, and am interested in the Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm scope. Does anyone have any experience with this particular model? Most of what I have heard has been good, but I am a little concerned with a few reviews stating that they don't hold a center very well. I would also like to make sure I get one with a finger click adjustment rather than one you need to adjust with a screwdriver. Any help would be great, thank you!

Nikon makes good scopes (as does Leupold) & many different grades so it's hard to give advice on the exact model you're interested in. So, inasmuch as I'm not aware of Nikon making any junk scopes, I'd do the following.

If possible, try this on an overcast day, or towards the end of the day when it's not too bright. While you're at the store, ask them if you can take the scope outside (or use a very clear clean window) and focus on something at least 2 to 3 hundred yards away. If your view is really sharp & bright ... buy it.

Another thing I do (with almost everything I buy) is try to use the reviews by other customers who have already purchased the same item. It's pretty reliable when there are many reviews to judge. Look at the reviews by customers who love the item & if any, read the ones by people who hated it.

I never use expert reviews for two reasons. (1) A lot of so-called experts call themselves experts & in fact are idiots. (2) You never know when even established experts or authorities have a financial interest in the product.
[8|]

Cgull

Postby Cgull » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:36 am

Nothing at all wrong with the Nikon. I use Leupolds mostly but am looking at a Nikon Coyote Special or Prostaff for my yote gun. I've heard nothing but great reviews on any Nikon. My son has a Nikon Prostaff on his Rem 700 270 and it works great.
we should insist the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn`t an American at all

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:52 am

I own two, the one on my shotgun is a slughunter and the one on my 30 06 is a buckmaster.  Love them both; crystal clear, easy to sight in and affordable.  This conversation can be the same as the "Ford vs. Chevy" conversation.  Both parties can argue passionatly on both sides.  My personal opinion is that neither Nikon or Leupold pay me any money for advertising and I wanted to get the best scope for the $$ I had to spend.  The Nikon's gave me that when I was ready to buy.  Next time it could be a Bushnell or Leupold.....  I would just stick with a brand that has been around for a while or buy it from a company with a good return policy.  You want to make sure that you are covered if something does go wrong...

Return to Guns and Ammo