Moment of truth

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
fatbob240

Moment of truth

Postby fatbob240 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:23 am

Just curious as to what everybody does (archery, black powder or rifle) at the "moment of truth" to slow down, gather themselves and make a clean shot. I have heard so many stories over the years about people not even remembering seeing the pin, crosshairs or even pulling the trigger for that matter. I've done the same thing myself in the past and now I play a mind game where I tell myself that I'm not going to shoot. I just concentrate on aiming like I have no intentions of shooting and that takes the pressure off of making the shot. Anybody else have any "tricks"?
Goal: 1 shot= 1 kill

gunther89

RE: Moment of truth

Postby gunther89 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:09 am

When it comes to shooting at a buck I look once at the rack and will not look at it again.  Most of the bucks I see we have on camera so there is no need to keep looking at it.  I concentrate on where I will have an opening and getting drawn back.  I then take deep breathes and when I feel ready I take the shot.  If i'm shooting at a doe I just take deep breathes until I feel calm.
Scott

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:45 am

Pretty much as Gunther...but I also ad by saying ..archery..."Bend at waist...don't grip bow(missed a buck last yr.because I forgot that) and this is your only shot!".....in gun  when seeing a walking deer ...glance at it and then find an opening in front of it and sqeeze the trigger when they step into view...saying "Top of shoulder"

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:49 pm

Eliminating all other factors aside. The moment of truth consist of this, when archery hunting.
Draw... Anchor... Aim... Release!
I practice this on the range with every shot that I take.
Even during the most unnerving moments, If this has become your conditioned response it will feel like second nature. Thus increasing your kill percentage!
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:12 am

I usually close my eyes and in-vision the deer in their underwear. works great.

Seriously, right before I pull the trigger or release, I tell myself "Two Seconds", I usually make a point to mouth it silently.

It reminds me to take the extra two seconds needed to really settle the pin/cross hairs, squeeze and follow though.

Those split seconds can dictate happiness or heartache, elation or embarrassment, rejoice or regret...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

metrx

Postby metrx » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:32 am

I try to practice like its the "real thing".  I shoot 3D targets all year and once every round I tell myself, "OK, this is it, this is your shot...you only get one."...and try to make it as real for myself as I can...the draw, the hold, the anchor...hold on one spot and count...1...2...3...etc...and release cleanly.  For me, practicing like its the real thing for when its the real thing makes it easier. 
Experience plays a big role in it also.  The more often you are in "moment of truth" situations the better prepared you are in future situations...but that "feeling" never goes away...guess that's why we hunt!  

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:03 am

Before I take shot I hold my breath for about 2 seconds to steady myself. If I am on the ground I automatically take a kneeling shooting position, it comes second nature for some reason. Adrenaline completely overwhelms me that sometimes I never remember hearing the rifle shot.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

brentru

Postby brentru » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:33 pm

I don't think about shooting the animal because my heart rate and blood pressure are already up if I'm at the point where I'm going to draw the arrow back.  Thinking about if I'm going to hit or miss when would just screw me up completely.  As I'm going through my drawing-aiming-releasing sequence, I'm running through my shooting checklist in my head...bow hand/arm/shoulder relaxed, string at full draw and hand properly anchored, finger off trigger until checklist complete, am I using the right sight pin for the known/estimated distance, aim at a specific spot on the animal, check for clear shot, check for quartering away/broadside shot.  If I'm at full draw for a long time, I keep running through the list so that I'm not thinking about the act of shooting the animal.  When I have a 'GO' on all items on the checklist, the finger goes on the trigger and the arrow is on the way.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:39 am

Pick a spot.....wait, no......pick a MOLECULE and focus on it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Randy3003

Postby Randy3003 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:24 pm

I have shot archery for a long time and no matter what I do that da__ buck fever is always there.  I guess if it ever is not there I'll probably hang up my bow for good , until then I do what the army taught me B R A S  breath relax aim and squeeze..  Never jerk the trigger no matter what you shoot.  You should never know the exact moment of the release, for if you do you may find yourself anticipating the release, causing a miss.  Clean ethical kills are what we strive for!!!

Next

Return to Best Practices