Montana bans use of scouting cameras???

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Goose

Montana bans use of scouting cameras???

Postby Goose » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:57 pm

http://fwpiis.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=42208

Page 10 bottom left hand corner. It appears as though Montana is banning the use of scouting cameras!
What say you?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Ohio farms

RE: Montana bans use of scouting cameras???

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:21 pm

I'm kind of stunned by it.  I guess a scout camera is an advantage to the hunter, but looking at the pictures is great fun.  Geeze. 
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:33 pm

I think it's a great idea. The more electronic crap they can keep out of the woods the better.

There's a reason why B&C and P&Y had in their rules that game could not be taken with the aid of electronic devices, and we seem to have deviated from that.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

pvrnc

Postby pvrnc » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:07 pm

game cameras are fun and it would be unconstitutional to forbid something on my own property that hurts no one else. As far as boone and crocket and pope and young. Thats for all you rich persons out there. Those of use who hunt small tracks and public lands cant afford such lofty goals. I only shoot 3 or 4 years old and older per my choice. I have used cameras for the last 3 years and see many older deer few booners if any. in fact my son shot a nice 6 year old and i shot a 4 year old. mine scored 135 green 130 dry. both huge bodies. Biggest we have seen this year, not Boone but we had fun and enjoyed friends and family hunting. The camera lets use know at least mine the deer was around and i held out for him letting younger ones go by. 2 other in my party missed him over the season so knowing he was there did not get it done. We enjoy checking cameras in off season for fun. shed hunting together. scouting together. So leave the cameras alone, you still have to hunt the deer, the cameras have never made the kill.

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:32 pm

From what I have heard, it appears to be an overreaction to scouting cameras that send signals or pictures to hand-held devices.
I personally can understand that there has to be a line drawn when you start getting too technical such as what I have described above but I do not believe that regular scouting cameras that you check weekly or bi-weekly are causing a major advantage. I actually believe that in a lot of cases they hurt a hunter more than help, but I still enjoy seeing what is in the area and I do believe that they can be utilized to show other people what is in the area causing them to hold back a little bit.
I personally enjoy using and running your basic scouting cameras.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Me, rich? HA!!!!!! If you only knew.......[:o]

I guess I'm old fashioned, but I pride myself on antiquated skills known as "reading sign". and "woodsmanship". Many of you probably don't even know what that means. Needles to say, it's a type of reading that you cannot learn in books, or from a DVD, or from a computer. You have to live it. But that's your loss.

If removing yourself as much as possible from the simple pleasures of the wild in order for you to experience the wild world is what floats your boat, then go for it. And from the number of hunters I read on here that cannot get through a day on stand without the need to text and play video games, that number is substantial.

My own "gizmo" cut off point is (with the exception of the small flashlight I carry), if it needs a battery, I don't want/need it.

I don't really care if they make cameras illegal or not. I have no use for them, and if they did make them illegal it wouldn't impact me in the slightest.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:57 pm

I really like using trail cameras not just to scout for deer but to see all sorts of animals and birds.  My family likes to see what is in the area especially my grandparents because they don't get out as much as they used too.  It also is a way to show your neighbors and other people the kind of animals that are around and sometimes you get some unique photos too. 
Scott

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:50 am

Cameras that send real time pics to a handheld unit seems too much. I can see their point on that.  Couldn't they word the rule to just bar that type of device?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:13 am

I don't get it. If you want to take photos of game, then get yourself a camera, get in the woods, and HUNT for them. You will actually be learning woodsmanship skills at the same time!

The next step is to get these cameras that record in real time, get them hooked up to your computer, and then rig set guns at the camera sites so you can "harvest" your booner without ever setting foot in the woods at all! (And BTW....they CAN do this, and it HAS been done, if you remember that outfit in Texas that was doing just this...).

Imagine, just having all that much more time to play video games from the comfort of home. You could even buy a DVD of sunrises and sunsets to play on your TV so that you could see those too. That's even better than buying DVDs of the latest hunting "celebrities" and living vicariously through them!

This would also be just the ticket for those who don't either have the time or ambition to scout and hunt, or have only small parcels to hunt. Rather than realize that hunting is a sport that REQUIRES a certain amount of dedication and TIME to do properly and to get the most from, and that maybe, just maybe, it's NOT the sport for you at this time of your life because you don't have the time or money, you can have your cake and eat it too, just like the rest of our society.

The point to all this, is WHERE DOES IT ALL END??????? [8|]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:53 am

I thought NY was strict...but if you noticed it only said DURING the hunting season...which one could assume before and after wouldn't be a problem....Now as far a constitutional rights....a person has the right to guard and protect their property.... so having a camera on ones property during hunting season could be challenged on that right alone...for it's been doc. many times to have captured pics. of trespassers ...IMO

Did anyone notice that they also have some rather strict policies on scenting as well? ...just to the rt of camera info...use of scent dispensers and drips illegal...any scent other than game animal scent a no no ...but cover scents for humans OK

Next

Return to Breaking News