Montana bans use of scouting cameras???

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
badtoys

RE: Montana bans use of scouting cameras???

Postby badtoys » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:58 am

sounds like a bunch of b.s more laws did you see the prices on tags  i see alot of poaching going on in this state because of tag prices

ORIGINAL: msbadger

I thought NY was strict...but if you noticed it only said DURING the hunting season...which one could assume before and after wouldn't be a problem....Now as far a constitutional rights....a person has the right to guard and protect their property.... so having a camera on ones property during hunting season could be challenged on that right alone...for it's been doc. many times to have captured pics. of trespassers ...IMO

Did anyone notice that they also have some rather strict policies on scenting as well? ...just to the rt of camera info...use of scent dispensers and drips illegal...any scent other than game animal scent a no no ...but cover scents for humans OK
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:12 am

If you don't like Montana's laws, then don't hunt there. It's that simple. If enough people do that, then the economics with tell them so. If not, then I guess it doesn't matter. That's what freedom means. If I don't like to hunt over bait piles, then I won't hunt in states that permit it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

berudd

Postby berudd » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:49 am

The sky is blue, the wall is really there, a dog is not a cat and scouting cameras are wrong.  It is all factual data, right?  :)

Unconstitutional?  Who else lives in a state that bans hunting on Sunday?  How's that for unconstitutional?  Luckily we finally get a break next year and get to bow hunt on private land.  But there are many laws that tell you want you can and can not do on your own land and find it highly unlikely they are all unconstitutional. 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:06 am

Who said anything about the Constitution? Besides, hunting is a PRIVILEGE and not a right, or at least not a right spelled out in the Constitution. In fact, wild game belongs to THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE, and therefore that individual state is charged with managing that game in the name of the people of that state. In that light then, a state has the right to make laws in conjunction with that wild game as it sees fit.

This is why we have a whole pile of differing laws from state to state, from baiting, to crossbows, to even the use of treestands. It wasn't all that long ago, that the use of treestands was not legal in Michigan.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:00 am

Actually pvrnc did and then I said that perhaps a law such as that could possibly be challenged under the right to protect ones property...which upon further research may not actually be a constitutional right ...but still a a possible argument of law...I'd like to say I don't give a hoot what that state does but in all honesty I do...for we are all of the same land mass just separated by lines on a map..sorta speak...and what happens in one state can flow into others....kinda like a thistle ...let one seed take hold and grow healthy ...down the road it's seeds will ride a current...to take hold elsewhere....kinda of a prickly situation[;)] 

dewey

Postby dewey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:28 am

Guys/gals, first off relax.  The regulations clearly state that you can not use the cameras during the hunting season, it does not say that you can not use them the rest of the season.

Here is the text.

[font=arial][font=arial][size=2][align=left]Motion-Tracking Devices and/or[/align][align=left]Camera Devices[/align][/font][/size][/font][font=arial][font=arial][size=1][align=left][size=2]It is illegal for a person to possess or[/align][align=left]use in the [/size][/font][/size][/font][font=arial][font=arial]fi [/font][/font][font=arial][font=arial][size=1][size=2]eld any electronic or camera[/align][align=left]device who's purpose is to scout the[/align][align=left]location of game animals or relay the[/align][align=left]information on a game animal's location[/align][align=left]or movement during any Commission adopted[/align]hunting season.

I actually like that law, otherwise you could set up tons of cameras during the season and then check the results at night and find out where the game is at.

Dewey
[/size][/font][/size][/font]
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:37 am

Woodswalker - I understand your feelings and points toward technology in the field. However, I do not believe that it is fair to say that people who use technology are not woodsman. I understand that you made a PERSONAL decision to go back to the basic stick and string method of hunting. Thats fine, and it was your choice. I will not ridicule you for that or call you less of a hunter even though I could argue that your type of hunting is not real hunting because of personal ideals. Its a matter of opinion. You and I could argue all day long on what is ok and not ok to bring in the woods with us, and I can defend everything I believe in and vice versa for you.
I know of many people who are knowledgeable in the woods and still use technology. Again, its just a personal opinion of yours on where you draw the line.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:16 am

Goose: I was trying to illustrate a point. And although I really couldn't care less if it were legal or not, I was speaking from a personal perspective. but two points......

1. How does my choice of archery tackle have anything to do with the topic?? I also firearm hunt with a modern weapon, but I still feel the same way in regards to electronic gizmos.

2. We as hunters need to be VERY careful that the non-hunting public (note I said non-hunting and not ANTI-hunting) sees our pursuit of game as "FAIR". Don't ask me to define that, because it wouldn't matter anyway. It's what THEY perceive as "FAIR" that is the issue.

My own wife, who is a non-hunter but certainly NOT anti-hunting, only recently learned of trail cams and their use, and was appalled. She thought it was the most unfair thing she'd ever heard. Now I don't necessarily agree with that, but that's not what matters. How we are perceived but the largest voting group that is.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

metrx

Postby metrx » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:04 am

I shake my head in amazement at some of the hunting rules and regulations implemented in some states, including my own. 

Let me get this straight...it's illegal to use a scouting camera (during the season) to hunt...it's illegal to use an electronic scent dispenser...it's illegal to bait...etc, because it will unfairly aid in harvesting game on open private and/or public land...but it's ok to pay 5-10K to shoot a farm raised deer in a fenced enclosure.  Makes sense to me. 

dewey

Postby dewey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:57 am

ORIGINAL: metrx
Let me get this straight...it's illegal to use a scouting camera (during the season) to hunt...it's illegal to use an electronic scent dispenser...it's illegal to bait...etc, because it will unfairly aid in harvesting game on open private and/or public land...but it's ok to pay 5-10K to shoot a farm raised deer in a fenced enclosure.  Makes sense to me. 

Amen!  If you have enough money you change the rules to your liking.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News