What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
GTOHunter

What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:47 pm

I was raised hunting Deer with a 30-06 Remington Automatic Rifle with/180 grain Core-Lokt bullets and after several years of fighting with recoil I went to a Browning A-Bolt .243 rifle w/100 grain Hornady shells and have been using the same Rifle for the past 3 years with great results and 2 nice 8-Point Bucks on my wall.

What Guns are you Guys and Gals using and why have you choosen that peticular set up?

deerhunter713

RE: What Gun/Guns and Ammo do You Deer Hunt with?

Postby deerhunter713 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:51 am

During both gun season and muzzleloader season here in Ohio, I use a Thompson Pro Hunter 50 cal topped with a Leupold 3x9, 150 gr triple 7 pellets, 250 gr Barnes MZ.  I use this because it is more sporting (1 shot) and more accurate than any other weapon I have to choose from (muzzleloader, shotgun, or pistol).  I'd rather kill all my deer during bow season, but sometimes that just doesn't happen and I end up in the woods during these firearms seasons.

maxhunter

Postby maxhunter » Mon May 05, 2008 7:50 am

When I bought my rifle 10 years ago - the property I hunted was mostly open marsh with thick wooded ridges.  I had a couple stand sites where you could shoot 300+ yards in multiple directions.  In an effort to be able to cover the space, I bought a Browning A-bolt 7mm and have been shooting 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt ammo.  The setup has worked great - perhaps could even be considered overkill.  The lay of the land has changed drastically in the last 10 years with succession taking its grasp on the land.  The ridges have expanded outward and the marshes have more and more tag alders and tammaracks growing up every year.  My longest shot is now 150 yards tops.  The 7mm still does the job, but I'm looking for something a little bit lighter to carry since I have a 3/4 mile walk to get in to my stands. 

I'm looking to purchase a lighter, smaller caliber rifle.  The Tikka T-3 Lite looks interesting to me.  Any body have experience or knowledge on these?

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Mon May 05, 2008 3:47 pm

Just bought a T/C Pro Hunter with 270 Win and Muzzle loader 50 Cal barrel. Sunday I got the 270 on paper at 25 yards, now I'd like to shoot Hornady 130 gr SST interlocks and plan to use them for antelope in WY in October, any thoughts on this combination? Lon

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Mon May 05, 2008 5:14 pm

I am using a Ruger M77 .270 that I bought 27 years ago. I still like that rifle. I use factory loaded core-locked 150 grain.
That covers just about every scenerio for hunting in my area.
I also carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag. When I go to a stand that is in the timber I will hang up my rifle and use the revolver. 240 gr silver tip hollow points work nice.
As you may have guessed, I am a Ruger fan. My next rifle purchase will be a Ruger Number 1, I have not decided on what it will be chambered in, just that it will be larger than my .270 in case the Mrs ever agrees to an Alaskan big game hunt. Maybe if I go ahead with getting it I can argue that I need to use it.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue May 06, 2008 9:24 am

I hunt in NY state the areas i hunt are either woodland or swampy.I use a marlin lever action 30/30 with hornady leverlution ammo.i like the way the small gun shoulders and swings .the ammo allows for acurate shots .most shots are way under 100yrds the average being 50 and lower.igot an older busnell low power scope on it i think its a banner 2 model.It gets the job done
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:38 am

I bought a New England Firearms 12 ga. shotgun because it was $20 more than the 870 slug barrel.  It is an EXACT copy of the 870!  Now I have a cheap dedicated deer gun and don't have to change barrels.  I bought it, put it together, and shot 3 shots with it using Hornady SSTs.  25 yds- 1" high dead center--50 yds 1" high dead center--100 yds-dead center bullseye!  Not lying.  This setup works well and is cheap.  Don't like sights so will be scoping it before next season.

locoman1951

Postby locoman1951 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:53 am

I hunt with a 7 mag plenty of knock down power , and I hunt long ranges out west were it does very well , good all around gun for different types of game and distances. 

bad faulkner

Postby bad faulkner » Fri May 09, 2008 6:06 am

Browning Lever Rifle in the .270.  It was a gift.  I could never afford such a rifle.  I love it, though. 

My son's going deer hunting with his own gun this fall with me.  We got him a NE youth synthetic .243.  On days he wants to hunt, we'll only take his gun.  I hope to help him get his first deer and then get my own with his little gun. 

We hunt from tree stands in our coastal SC area for safety reasons.  One rifle in the stand is a safe practice, especially with a new hunter like him.  I will act as his guide and mentor and frankly, I'm more excited about him finally wanting to hunt than if I killed a monarch buck. 

I grew up using a .218b until the 6th grade when the family 30-30 was handed down. 

Once I began hunting in SC after relocation, my uncle and best friend bought me the BLR 270. 

I've killed deer with borrowed 30-06's.  One was a Rem 700 and the other was a Rem 742.  Both are fine guns and a wonderful caliber.

Am very happy with the 270 and see no difference between it and the 30-06. 

My son's only eleven and only 4'8" so I wanted him to start with the .243.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri May 09, 2008 4:37 pm

ORIGINAL: bad faulkner

Browning Lever Rifle in the .270.  It was a gift.  I could never afford such a rifle.  I love it, though. 

My son's going deer hunting with his own gun this fall with me.  We got him a NE youth synthetic .243.  On days he wants to hunt, we'll only take his gun.  I hope to help him get his first deer and then get my own with his little gun. 

We hunt from tree stands in our coastal SC area for safety reasons.  One rifle in the stand is a safe practice, especially with a new hunter like him.  I will act as his guide and mentor and frankly, I'm more excited about him finally wanting to hunt than if I killed a monarch buck. 

I grew up using a .218b until the 6th grade when the family 30-30 was handed down. 

Once I began hunting in SC after relocation, my uncle and best friend bought me the BLR 270. 

I've killed deer with borrowed 30-06's.  One was a Rem 700 and the other was a Rem 742.  Both are fine guns and a wonderful caliber.

Am very happy with the 270 and see no difference between it and the 30-06. 

My son's only eleven and only 4'8" so I wanted him to start with the .243.

Good for you getting your son in the gameand putting safety first
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo