Feathers vs. Vanes

Patriot

RE: Feathers vs. Vanes

Postby Patriot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:25 am

ORIGINAL: tnt1960

I used to shoot feathers for years, but since have switched to vanes. Trying to weather proof the feathers with powders or sprays was too much of a hassle. Besides, vanes are a lot more durable.

That was my thought as well.  I have a dozen new Patriot missles for myself and a dozen for Mrs. Patriot all set to be picked up tomorrow!  Can't wait!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:29 pm

I dunno fellas, I've just never been able to get the same level of consistency and accuracy with vanes... I'm sticking with helical feathers.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:40 am

As noted above, I recently switched to vanes from feathers.  I've taken a couple hundred shots with the vanes and have not noticed any decrease in performance.

I think it's just user preference.  Every so often, it's nice just to try something different.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:55 am

I think you'll appreciate them vanes more when you hit the field this fall. Sitting in the rain and throwing them around in your truck ect..... They take a licking and keep on ticking.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bowhunter34

Postby bowhunter34 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:44 pm

I thank vanes. I shoot beman arrows and my vanes are 2 an half inch better flight tighter groups.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:03 am

Ok I'm bringing this topic back up.  I just got a new Bowtech this last fall, and am getting new arrows for it.  I've been using 4 inch feathers for the longest time and am thinking of switching to vanes...AND on top of that thinking of switching to shorter vanes (blazers).  What are everyone's thoughts on long versus short vanes and feathers?

Thanks!
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:54 am

You'll get many opinions on both. They both have certain advantages so it is understandable.
The best thing to do is have a couple of arrows fletched up with blazers and shoot them next to your feathers. Starting now, you'll have plenty of time to compare them and have the rest fletched up and shot before the opener.
As stated above, I have shot feathers, NAP quickspin 3.185's, NAP speed hunters, and blazers. I shoot blazers now and have no regrets. They shoot great for me and are durable.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks for the info Goose.  Yea, I've shot vanes before...That was quite a few years ago.  I started shooting feathers, then went to vanes, feathers, and now with all the advancements in technology I want to check out the vanes again.  Do you think there is a big difference in the length...short (like the blazers) versus say a long 4 inch vane or feather?
QDM!

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:16 pm

With todays quality arrows, you don't need the longer vanes to help stabilize the arrow as much. Plus I think the wind has less negative affect on your arrow with shorter vanes. I switched from 4" Duravanes to 2.1" Fusions (by Duravane) a couple years ago and there's a big difference in durability and you gain some speed. I just apply them with a right offset and stagger each vane 1/4" farther from the nock. They fly great, even out to my practice distance of 80 yards.

I think if you plan on hunting in wet, nasty weather at all, I would chose the vanes over feathers.

Dave M.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:23 pm

I can tell you that they claim to be the same as 4 inch feathers or vanes and thats about it. I shoot mechanical heads which need less stabilization compared to a fixed head so I cant give you a personal experience story as far as that goes.
I can say that they shoot just as well if not better than the feathers or other vanes that I shot with a mechanical head.
They are designed to pretty much make up what they lack in length with height.
Jake

PreviousNext

Return to Arrows