Montana bans use of scouting cameras???

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Goose

RE: Montana bans use of scouting cameras???

Postby Goose » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:43 am

WW- I was just trying to illustrate that these type of arguments are just an opinion. You feel that such and such an item does not belong in the woods because in your opinion it is too technically advanced and takes away from your hunting experience. Thats fine, but it is just your personal opinion and what you want your own hunting experience to be like.
We all have that right as well.
In the same manner I could argue that the way you hunt does not appeal to me for such and such a reason.
They are all just preferences and opinions.
What you feel does not belong in the woods does not mean that the person who uses those things is not a woodsman. I understand that things have changed over the years but there are still a lot of hunters out there who educate themselves with their surroundings even though they have a cell phone in their pocket or a camera on a trail.
I guess I am just defending the younger generation as you are defending the older ways.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:01 am

ORIGINAL: badtoys

sounds like a bunch of b.s more laws

I really don't want to turn this into a political thing, but you are right.
Just another example of the government intruding into our lives.

Bag limits are in place, rules are applied for the taking of legal game, and we abide by them for the continuation of the resource. What next are they going to target????
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:59 pm

ORIGINAL: metrx

I shake my head in amazement at some of the hunting rules and regulations implemented in some states, including my own. 

Let me get this straight...it's illegal to use a scouting camera (during the season) to hunt...it's illegal to use an electronic scent dispenser...it's illegal to bait...etc, because it will unfairly aid in harvesting game on open private and/or public land...but it's ok to pay 5-10K to shoot a farm raised deer in a fenced enclosure.  Makes sense to me. 

Apples and oranges. A farm raised, fenced in deer is not a game animal, but privately owned livestock, no different than a Hereford or a Duroc. In most states they are defined that way, and you can kill them anyway you chose, as long as it's reasonably humane.

With a native game animal there ARE set limits of what the Game and Fish considers to be "fair chase". But this is where the debate comes in.

If you want to hunt wild game the same way as fenced livestock, then why have any seasons, bag limits, or hunting hours at all?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:57 pm

If you want to hunt wild game the same way as fenced livestock, then why have any seasons, bag limits, or hunting hours at all?

Woodsie I don't think anyone is saying that at all, but I do think its unfair to suggest those who use such devices don't know or understand "woodsmanship" or how to "read sign"...if that's the case why don't we all just go back wooden spears, clubs, and throwing stones???

Something else to consider because I know we're starting to see more of it here in Jersey.  Many counties are starting to prohibit the use of cameras, not because there is a perceived advantage, but because of all the hassles its creating with other hunters.  Cameras are getting stolen, hunters are becoming more territorial about who hunts near or around an area they placed a cam, just because they caught a nice shooter on film and now feel its "their" animal to hunt, fist fights breaking out of whose messing with who's cameras...craziness I tell ya.  Sometimes I think we are the Anti's best advertising [8|]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:20 pm

Deano: The poster in question WAS comparing the restrictions of wild hunting to paying $$$ to shoot a farm raised penned deer. The opinion was to the effect of, "why is this wrong, while this is right?", to which my response was that you can't compare one to the other, because one is the hunting of wild, free ranging game, while the other is paid shooting of penned livestock.

And like I said, I don't really care if cameras are legal or illegal. It makes no difference to me, as I don't use them. And no, not everyone who uses them is devoid of woodsmanship skills. But there ARE many who use these gadgets, AND who know only hunting over bait, who couldn't find a deer trail if it had blinking strobe lights on it, no less being able to tell the difference between a white and red oak. The sad truth is that too many hunters, "don't know what they don't know". I see it all the time, even with the guys I have in my deer camp group! They are great guys, and they've shot their share of deer, but as woodsman, they are IGNORANT.

I don't know, maybe it's because I've been around this stuff my whole life, and my educational and work experience is in the natural world involving plants and soils, and I learned my initial woods skills by being a trapper....which DEMANDS that you learn those skills on a very advanced level....but the ignorance of the most BASIC woods skills by many of the hunters I see is sad. And I guess it's me, but what is the point of going goofy over a photo that you didn't even take yourself??? I KNOW the deer and other animals are in the woods. I don't have to SEE them to know that. If I were to use a camera and actually HUNT for my photo, now that would mean something. I was there. I saw it with my own eyes. I experienced it. The photo of that event is merely a keepsake of that moment in time...a "trophy" if you will. I just don't see the point of a "remote control" photo. If you need that to tell you that there are deer in the area, then you are SORELY lacking in woodsmanship skills!

But ultimately, this is only my opinion. I just hope that some heed part of what I'm trying to get across, as the result will be that you may begin to see and learn more about the woods you think you know so well. I learn something new everytime I go in the woods.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:19 pm

everyone's opinion sucks. people actually being able to make their opinion law, is ridiculous.

real time pictures, big freaking deal. seeing a picture and knowing where a deer is really isn't going to help you at all unless you are a very savvy hunter to begin with.

use of binoculars gives you an unfair advantage. use of a firearm gives you an unfair advantage. treestands give you an unfair advantage. scent attractants give you an unfair advantage. being able to identify food sources and bedding areas gives you an unfair advantage. playing the wind gives you an unfair advantage.

who decides where to draw the line and why?

perhaps we should hunt blindfolded.

Seasons, Bag limits, weapon restrictions and shooting hours...

everything else should be up to the hunter.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:02 am

Well said!

I think some people like to be woodsman and some don't, that goes back to the start of mankind. Some will do as little as possible to get there deer and some pride themselves on "knowing" the woods.
Trail cameras are alot of fun, I personally think it makes sense to not use them when you're hunting, and it does take "woodsmanship" skills to put them in a place that is effective.

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 pm

That should get Ted riled up LOL! Actually it would be interesting to compare each jurisdictions regulations. No doubt there are wide differences. In some places firearms have to been encased after dark, other places just unloaded. Here in Ontario, it's illegal to hunt from a boat with a motor attached, in the Yukon its legal. Go figure.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:37 pm

ORIGINAL: Sam Menard

That law should get Ted riled up LOL! Actually it would be interesting to compare each jurisdictions regulations. No doubt there are wide differences. In some places firearms have to been encased after dark, other places just unloaded. Here in Ontario, it's illegal to hunt from a boat with a motor attached, in the Yukon its legal. Go figure.

Sam

liv4gzus

Postby liv4gzus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:43 am

The way I read the rule is states that you can not use them DURING the active season, doesn't seem to me to apply to the preseason.  Am I reading this wrong?

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News