Montana bans use of scouting cameras???

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Ranger6

RE: Montana bans use of scouting cameras???

Postby Ranger6 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:09 am

Too bad I think they are missing the point on this action. I use scouting cameras and my family loves them. It is a way that everyone can be involved with the hunt. Not sure what they were thinking on this one. I have never felt they gave me an unfair advantage just nice to know a few big boys are still in my area.

Tom

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:53 pm

The rule does state that a camera can't be used for the purpose of monitoring game. So if you had a camera out for the purpose of monitoring your property against trespassers, as some have mentioned in this post, it would be allowed. It might be up in the air to prove one way or the other what your intentions are with a camera, so that would be the risk you run if you choose to use one during the season.

In any case, I would find it real annoying if I lived in a state that made such a rule. I like having cameras out. They're a lot of fun, just like a lot of posts have said. I do and always have viewed them as a tool to help me hunt as well, and I personally don't think it's unfair to use such a tool. Besides, I get 90% of my pictures at 2 A.M., so how much advantage am I really gaining? None most of the time. You still have to know where to put them, so you do have to know a little bit about the property. We all get lucky and hang them on the right tree by accident, but there's all kinds of things in life that happen by luck.

The one distinction I would make would be the cameras that email a picture your email, which then you can sit in your stand and check your email on your phone, and see within a couple of minutes where animals are moving. I can see how that might be going over the line into unfair advantages or less than "fair chase". But personally, I use the standard digital camera that requires me to go to the camera and retrieve a card to see the pictures. I get a glimpse of a very tiny spot of property when I'm not there. They're a great learning tool, and they're fun. I think it's too bad to restrict their use. I would be interested to know what exactly the reasoning was behind the rule being made.

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:24 pm

I have yet to get a pic of a buck before I have harvested it.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong.  Maybe I need 10 more cameras.
I have pics of bucks other people shot.
I have had people give me pics or bucks I have harvested that they caught on their cams.

I guess I'm not lucky or good.
Either way, I hunt because of the unexpected.

Don't focus on the destination, Enjoy the Journey

bret84

Postby bret84 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:30 pm

I readily enjoy when the topic of technology enters the field of play when it comes to hunting. Where do you draw the line? If you use technology you are not a woodsman? I am sure that is what archery hunters said when the modern firearm was invented. Am I less of a hunter if I strategically place a camera a week into the season to capture information from a place other than where I am hunting, or am I less of a hunter because my .300 Win Mag is accurate at over 500 yards?

Very interesting discussion guys.

"Science is knowledge arranged and classified according to truth, facts, and the general laws of nature."
Luther Burbank
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."

orionbeme

Postby orionbeme » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:23 pm

This is good news and a step in the right direction. I think food plots should also be illegal. The more we make it appear that we are simply "raising" and "tracking" animals for the pleasure of killing them (and in fact, actually are doing so), the more ammunition we are putting into the hands of anti-hunters. The whole notion of "hunting" has gotten so out of whack in the past 15 years that it is stupefying.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:04 am

Good God I need to pull out the sarcasm...Yeppers and while we are letting the Gov. tell us what technology...and things we're allowed and not allowed to plant on our lands...why not have them put us on a potty schedule and feeding time...they are already banning the "bad "foods...hey fine us for not getting enough sleep then lets do like the Chinese and limit are child raising...oopps may be they can give men and women a sterility shot and control us like they try the deer herd....ARE YOU KIDDING[8|]

metrx

Postby metrx » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:00 am

MsB...you hit a nerve...I know this way off topic...but having the gov't control how many kids people have...I actually think it's a great idea if it could be done. 
I know many may disagree...but I, like many I'm sure, am tired of my taxes going to pay for people who can't afford kids, are irresposible, immature, but they feel "entitled"... yet continue to have them because the gov't will foot the bill, on the taxpayers' backs.  How many of these people have gold teeth, tattoos, smoke cigarettes, do drugs, have a $400 cell phone, drive a nice car, have cable tv, but dont work, cant afford (so they claim) health insurance or pay rent on their own yet continue to have kids out of wedlock that they cant afford.  Millions I tell you.  I can understand a mistake...ONE...but after that, you should be on your own as far as I'm concerned.  Responsible people shouldn't have to pay for the irresponsible people with a sense of entitlement.  It's as though they are being rewarded for their behavior...and that's exactly their thinking.  
Rural people may not see this but in the larger cities its a major epidemic that is crippling this country financially. 
There's my rant...  

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:05 am

Metrix..first let me say...I started out saying I was pulling out the Sarcasm...2nd your preaching to the choir on that but ..but but blame the Gov...look at our own Governor. ...NY is swirling the bowl and he ups the amount welfare recipients receive...when the gov is basically paying ppl to have kids...of course that lazy... underhanded and mentally challenged (I'm speaking those to lazy to try) will take advantage...both city and country wht..blk..yellow...what ever....

Thats to the point....keep the Gov. and bureaucrats at bay...thinking that calling them in to take away our property rights.... will help keep the anti's at bay.... is as far out there as the contraception shots for deer were... it was just an example thrown in with others of a sarcastic nature[;)] 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:11 pm

..NY is swirling the bowl

LOL!!!!! That is priceless! I've got to remember that one! [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:00 am

I love these forums, and different responses people give. Like hunting game cams are great! stick one out, and the wait/intisapation is like being 8-10yrs old christmas eve night can't wait to get to those gifts. lol But thats my kid at heart mind set!

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News