MI Gaylord Man Wins Case Against State Baiting Ban

DeerCamp

MI Gaylord Man Wins Case Against State Baiting Ban

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:30 am

A Northern Michigan judge has made an important ruling that affects the Michigan Baiting Ban.

Yesterday an Otsego County judge dismissed the case against a Gaylord man, who the DNRE ticketed when deer ate from his bird feeders.

Now that ruling could have an impact on similar cases around the state.

The ruling applies only to a particular part of the baiting ban -- and that is for recreational feeding of deer.

That statute has even changed since this case began, but the defense attorney says the same arguments that won this case are still valid.

It all started with Ken Borton's backyard webcam, or the Snowman Cam as it's called.

People all over the world look at it online (www.snowmancam.com) to check weather conditions and watch birds feed.

Eventually the DNRE learned that deer occasionally stop and eat the bird seed from the ground.

They say Borton was illegally feeding deer.

But a judge has now thrown out the case, saying the law is too vague.

The prosecuting attorney on the case did not return calls we made to him today.

He does have the right to appeal the ruling.

The DNRE says they are still reviewing the opinion and have no comment at this time.

Erika Waddell and photojournalist Justin DePrekel have the story.

http://www.9and10news.com/Category/Stor ... 9255&cID=1
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Bryan78

RE: MI Gaylord Man Wins Case Against State Baiting Ban

Postby Bryan78 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:38 pm

That's your Government for you.  If I were Governor I would have fired the officer for issuing the ticket and his boss for not having enough common sense to see that it was a mistake and I would have fired the Director for not doing anything about it.

DeerCamp

RE: MI Gaylord Man Wins Case Against State Baiting Ban

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:52 pm

I agree..I think this one is stupid, I understand the rules and I do follow them... But come on, do we really need $ that bad to fine the poor guy for this?!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to Michigan