Needed! Scouting Camera Advice - I'm ready to buy

Gulfcapt

RE: Needed! Scouting Camera Advice - I'm ready to buy

Postby Gulfcapt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:36 am

in a 4yr period I bought 2 moultrie 60 and both are in the garbage now! the infared flash went out and they can't fix them! $299.00 & $199.00 down the toilet will bye a different brandthis year

Drhunter2k

Postby Drhunter2k » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:31 am

IMO the Bushnell Trophy Cam is the best money for your buck (no pun intended). The price for mine was $199 at Cabelas. This camera fits in the palm of your hand, is easy to set up and use, takes incredible pictures day and night, has super fast trigger speed, and is IR. The camera will operate on 4 AA batteries or for extended life with 8 AA and the battery life is second to none. I have had my Bushnell out from September right through December with over 1000 pictures taken in that time and still full battery life. This camera has all of the features that the more expensive cams do with the price of the cheaper cams. I am completely sold on this little camera and would recommend to anyone looking for a good quality camera.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat May 15, 2010 7:51 am

I have a Moultrie I-60 Infared trail camera and simply love it,it has some really great features and it is fairly simple to use.It takes from 1-2 or 3 pictures in a row and You can set it to video,it also has multiple picture quality settings and a in-field veiwer to see if there's any good Der or Wildlife pictures on it and it will use a SD card from 1 to 4 GB.Mine cost me $300.00,the second one was on sale for $200.00 at Basspro Shop and I had a $20.00-Off coupon,now they are on sale at the Moultrie's Web Site for $150.00 for Refurbished ones or you can shop on-line at walmart.com or search the Sportmans Guide too.

I just got a Basspro catalog and the *New Moultrie Trail Camera Game Spy D-55 IR Camera with 5.0 megapixels is listed for $119.99 and it is compatible with the new Game Spy Management System where You can view and manage pictures at their Web Site for a monthly fee depending on what plan you choose and it will send a picture via your cell phone too.I'm sure there will be several other Moultrie Models to choose from and they have changed their design to where the camera opens from the side again like the older models did.The newer Camera uses 6 (six) C batteries and up to a 16 GB SD card,You can buy the cable/transmitter ($149.00) to use the camera with the Game Spy Managemet System or not use it at all and use the Camera as a single trail camera unit!For those of us that can't frequent our Hunting Area the new Moultrie Trail Camera can be used for Wildlife pictures and as a security camera too,You can also manage your pictures and change your camera settings at your computer via the web site.

Other great Trail Camera's that seem to have a good record of performing well is the Cuddeback Capture "flash" camera,the Bushnell Trophy Camera's,the RecoynX camera's and the Stealth Trail camera's.When buying a Trail Camera you need to ask yourself what are your goals and what do yo want the camera to do,what are your needs and what price range can you afford?Once you get a trail camera and start enjoying all the Deer and wildlife pictures your going to be hooked on using trail camera's! ;)

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat May 15, 2010 1:10 pm

I have a Moultrie that works quite well and has good battery life . I also have a stealth cam with flash that works well and has good battery life . I have 3 wildViews and they suck . They eat up batteries and I can't count on them to work when I need them . I bought a Stealthcam I-450 that I havn't taken out of the box yet so I need to try it out .
I don't leave any cameras out unless I have them locked , even on Posted Private Property . I might start leaving the WildViews out without locking them up . If someone steals them , the cameras will be their problem ! [8|]..[8|]..[8|]
Semper Fi !

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sat May 15, 2010 4:27 pm

I would go with a Bushnell Trophy Cam.  You can find them on the internet for around $170.  They have great battery life and great trigger speed.  They are an IR camera so if your worried about the flash you don't have to worry about it.  It also has video mode which is very nice to have.

I used to use Cuddeback but after having to send in 3 replacement cameras I was told by there customer service I would have to pay to get my "replacement" camera fixed because it wasn't in warranty anymore.  I've talked to others who have had the same issue as I did with customer service.  I also have friends who swear by Cuddeback and as long as the camera works, the camera is great.  I've posted some pictures from the trophy cam and from the Cuddeback Capture flash version.  There is day and night pictures from both.

Scott

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sat May 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Night picture from the Capture.

Scott

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun May 16, 2010 5:28 am

Battery Life:

My Moultrie I-60 uses the larger D-cell batteries,this past winter I placed the 6 brand new copper top Dura-cell batteries in it and it lasted the coldest months of Jan,Feb,March April and finally into May when I put new battery's in it because it was down to 40% and I didn't want it to die out in the field.I also have 2 sets of Energizer rechargable bateries that I change out whenever needed.If You set a trail camera on video it will use up more SD card space and batery life too,my Moultrie does fairly well on batterys and You can also buy a solar charger and it will last indefinetly.The new Bushnell Trophy camera's are suppose to have a batery life up to a year...now thats impressive!!

Someone else here mentioned that they take a digital camera with them when they check their trail camera and view the pictures from the SD card while their out in the field,I do the same thing if I pull a card out of one of my trail camera's that doesn't have the built-in viewer.Only thing You have to watch is some of the hand held digital camera's will not view the IR pictures from some trail camera's for some reason?My expensive Kodak camera will not view the IR picture but my Daughters cheaper Kodak will view them just fine.

Brian Aish has listed some really great info about trail camera's especially where he states to get a camera that the buying Customers like and have had good luck with...all the advertising in magazines tend to be a little bias towards the companies that are paying for making their product look the best! [8|] [;)]

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Mon May 17, 2010 1:42 pm

I bought the Moultrie 5.0 IR outfitter cam. Pictures are very good & it takes pictures of animals at least 50 feet away. Battery useage seems to be very good as well.

I was loving it until I checked it last Saturday. I started loosening the cover screw, & the camera was suddenly swarming with small redish/black ants that had found their way into the camera via a small opening at the battery compartment. After checking the pictures, I found out the camera took over 400 photos of an empty field with about 20 wildlife photos mixed in one weeks time. It seems the ants can make the camera take pictures. What are the odds of that happening?

Previous

Return to Scouting Cameras