lets get sam into the sport

epd68

RE: LETS GET SAM INTO THE SPORT

Postby epd68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:09 pm

i am scheduled to meet SAM on sat 2-20-10 i have prepared a small packet of information and will lend him GREG MILLERS RUB LINE SECRETS and CHRIS EBERHARDS BOWHUNTING PRESSURED WHITETAILS both texts are excellent primers for stand hunting public land if time permits we may scout a small section of HAMBDEN ORCHARD

epd68

Postby epd68 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:21 am

well i met sam and he is a good guy with enormous enthusiasm for hunting whitetail deer but little practical experience with deer and deerhunting....he was born in india but is an american to the core and has embraced american culture fully.he is the future of hunting and i will do my best to prepare him for success.we did not have the opportunity to do any scouting on public land today but i plan to work with him in the coming weeks to train him up and prepare a gameplan to harvest a deer on public land in 2010.IF ANYONE ON THE OHIO FORUM HAS ANY INFO ON FARMERS,APPLEORCHARDS OR OTHER PRIVATE LAND in northeast ohio that will allow sam to hunt please forward the info and help sam get into the sport.if the members of this forum cant or wont do this please find someone you know and recruit them into deerhunting please TAKE SOMEONE HUNTING IN 2010

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:59 pm

Good stuff epd68! I wish you guys the best of luck!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:29 pm

epd68,

Keep us all posted as we are all pulling for sam. I feel he is in good hands. If you ever get with him and feel like taking a road trip, come on down to West KY. I'll put you both up at camp and on deer as there are 17,000 acres of public land that border me. It is bow only though. I wouldn't have any problem having y'all out during one of the gun or ML hunts on my land, but they are short and that's when the most family and friends are there to hunt. Keep up the good work![;)][:D]
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

mah712rn

Postby mah712rn » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:53 am

EPD68 that is great.  I was going to also contact him.  Sounds like he and I are in the same situation.  new to hunting and noone to learn from.  I am going to be hunting Hambden next year so need to scout it,.  As this will be my first real scouting venture I thought it would be good for us to learn together.  Anyone know what kind of pressure Hamben gets?

epd68

Postby epd68 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:16 pm

mah712rn the snow has been too deep in hambden to scout just yet but as soon as practical sam and me will start scouting hambden orchard i will try to include you however i do rotate shifts so it will not be easy .....as to the orchard it gets a good amount of pressure gun season but bow season is light especially on week days it is 804 acres of thick stuff with a swamp in the middle so eat your wheaties.....watch this thread for updates 

epd68

Postby epd68 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:46 am

on sunday 04-25-10 i went scouting with sam accessing the hambden orchard wildlife area which borders my property we went over what sign to look for with a focus on rub lines ,using trail marking tape and bright eye tacks to locate the treestand area and stand placement. because of a prior disabling injury sam must use a sturdy ladder type stand because his mobility for climbing purposes is limited precluding any type of climber or loc on type stands.we spent about 2.5 hrs scouting and found a suitable stand site with good sign and trails surrounded on three sides with trees that had several signpost rubs made over several years of successive rubbing on the same trees. we worked together and found a pair of trees grouped together to lean a ladder stand against.we marked the area but did not place a stand there just yet. ODNR allows you to place a stand on their property but it must be removed every year and cant cause significant damage to the tree. we will probably make more scouting trips into the area and we will most likely secure the stand in late august with a cable and lock.when he hunts sam can use my property to access the wildlife area making for a nice 15 minute walk to his stand.SAM IS VERY ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT DEER HUNTING AND WILL CONTINUE THE TRADITION STARTED BY ALL THE OHIO HUNTERS WHO CAME BEFORE HIM. he is the future of the sport and a brother to all ohio hunters    

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:21 pm

Sounds exciting. If I were Sam I'd be excited about the prospects too. Hope springs eternal, as they say. 
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

epd68

lets get sam into the sport

Postby epd68 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:43 am

an update on sams progress we placed a ladder stand on a good rubline in the hambden orchard state forest ...sam will access the state land thru my property ...he is looking forward to hunting the area and began switching to unscented detergent and body wash ATSKO NO SCENT about 2 weeks ago ....i have introduced sam into the way of the bowhunter and will continue to mentor him....we come from different cultures sam is from india ...i was born in ohio ....sam is a hindu ...i am catholic....we share a common bond in deerhunting and i believe he is the future of the sport ....i have never met a more enthusiastic hunter PLEASE MENTOR A FUTURE HUNTER WE MUST RECRUIT OTHERS TO ENSURE THE FUTURE OF DEERHUNTING

mah712rn

RE: lets get sam into the sport

Postby mah712rn » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:17 am

I see the youth hunts, and mentoring programs but I wish ODNR. Or OBA did some type of adult mentoring. I justice started last year and the learning curve for someone who didn't come from hunting family is steep. I sympathize with you same. Good luck. Keep us informed. Im actually in a tree now, praying form a deer to stroll by

Next

Return to Ohio