Buck or Doe?

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
The Rookie

Buck or Doe?

Postby The Rookie » Wed May 07, 2008 4:10 am

[font=arial]Is there anyway to tell the deferent's between a doe or a buck by there tracks?? I had an old timer tell me if the tracks are spread out it is a buck.[/font][/align][font=arial][/font] [/align] [/align][font=arial]Best example I could make..  [/font][/align][font=arial][/font] [/align][font=arial] Buck....   V [/font][/align][font=arial] Doe.......  II [/font] [/align]

DeerCamp

RE: Buck or Doe?

Postby DeerCamp » Wed May 07, 2008 1:18 pm

sometimes a buck will sink farther in the ground becuz of its weight. also a does track will be farther apart than a bucks i have heard. i have heard of what you are saying but i dont know if its true or not.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu May 08, 2008 10:49 am

a track that is 3-31/2" wide is a mature deer bucks have a stagger to they're stride and the rear hoofs wont sink as much as his front hoofs.Does walk in a straight line and leave almost perfect heart shaped tracks
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Fri May 09, 2008 5:06 am

a does rear tracks may be wider than the front due to the formation of there hips, which need to be wider to give birth. hard to tell tho if there are many tracks.

tracer

Postby tracer » Sun May 11, 2008 2:06 am

Tracking deer with snow on the ground

Buck tracks are toed out and their front hooves are larger than the rear hooves. Look at how wide the bucks stagger is on the track from the right leg to the left leg. The greater the width, the heavyer the deer. When this type of track circles a buck is getting ready to bed down. Look at how deep the track is. The back of the track is more compressed than the front tips of his hooves.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:14 am

with all the knowledge in the world, its still extremely difficult to tell what kind of track is what. one can only hope they made the right pick

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat May 17, 2008 3:50 am

I think a buck track is spread out more at the tip,and has two extra marks on the back of the track. Atleast thats what I've been told for years anyway. A doe track has two marks and a closed tip of the track. The bigger,and deeper the track the larger the deer that made it.

chris

Postby chris » Sat May 17, 2008 8:04 am

[/align]I'm with tracer on this one,I've killed big bucks with small feet,Little bucks with big feet,Does with enormous feet.Its a gamble

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu May 22, 2008 5:48 pm

Large, deep tracks indicate a heavy deer.  And hopefully, a big one.  That's the set I'd follow.  Supposedly, big bucks walk off the beaten path, where does and smaller bucks are the ones that make regularly used trails you see in the woods.  Not sure if this is true or not.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Fri May 23, 2008 4:40 am

if you watch the aging deer video on the D&DH website.. it gives a good idea how to tell what tracks are what.

Next

Return to All About Deer Sign