what kind of steps

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Spurred

what kind of steps

Postby Spurred » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:46 am

I hunt a lot of public ground and we are not supposed to use screw in steps. What would you recommend to go with my hang on stands?

The Rookie

RE: what kind of steps

Postby The Rookie » Thu May 01, 2008 9:29 am

[font=arial]I don't know how well it works but a friend of mine uses these boots that he could climb the tree, no steps needed. If your interested I will ask him where he bought them from.[/font][/align][font=arial][/font] [/align][font=arial]The Rookie[/font][/align]

Spurred

Postby Spurred » Thu May 01, 2008 10:03 am

I am interested. Ask him if he likes how they work. Are they easy to take off once you are up in your stand?

Big Dave

Postby Big Dave » Thu May 01, 2008 10:03 am

I like the tie-on quick ladders. The Summit Swiftree is good, as are their BuckSteps.

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Thu May 01, 2008 10:31 am

[font=arial]My buddy said he bought them from Cabelas a few years ago and they work great... The tie on ladder sounds like a safer/better idea.. [/font]
[font=arial][/font] 
[font=arial]The Rookie[/font]

scentblocker

Postby scentblocker » Fri May 02, 2008 12:12 pm

I use Lone Wolf Climbing sticks allot.  They are light and easy to use.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat May 03, 2008 6:18 am

I prefer ladders over the screw in steps . I bought a 20' wood ladder and a 16' alum ladder at a garage sale for $35 . It would cost me more than that to make ladders withy pressure treated wood . I need to paint the aluminum ladder but the other is okay .
Be careful with those screw in steps . A friend almost loast a finger when his ring caught on the step and he was hurrying down the tree . He stretched his ring finger and it swelled up bad enough that he had to have a jeweler cut the band . Ouch !

locoman1951

Postby locoman1951 » Sat May 03, 2008 3:28 pm

I fell 20 feet one time in a climbing stand , my feet were in strips and I just had to ride it out . Left a large hole in the ground when I hit bottom .
This was before people started wearing safety harnesses. Never climb with out a harness no matter what kind of stand or steps or latter you use .

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue May 06, 2008 9:28 am

screw in steps are a nono in NY state public land,which i hunt.i use a climber stand or ladder stand.i have an older climber that i dont like climbing with and am thinking of turning into a hang on.gonna get those small ladder sections that stack together and take the bottom two down when im not hunting to prevent theft
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun May 11, 2008 3:08 pm

I like my Summit "Buck Steps",they are easy to strap on a tree and are light weight enough to carry in where your hunting.Mine are a set of 4 Steps and they get you pretty high up in a tree or you can buy an extra set and use a few of them or all of them to climb even higher?You can also stagger them around the tree your climbing as you go up.  

Next

Return to Tree Stands