New PA Hunter

DeerSlayer12ga

New PA Hunter

Postby DeerSlayer12ga » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:17 am

Hi All,

I have just moved to PA after a 5 year stint in NJ away from hunting. I had hunted for years in NY and had been pretty successful with taking 22 deer in 14 years. Now I am ready to get back in to hunting in my new state and need some advice.

First thing is a gun, I have used my trusty old Remington 11-87 12ga semi auto for years. But this gun is not legal for use in PA deer season. I am currently looking at getting a Browning BLR 7mm Rem. Mag. What are your thoughts on this gun and what type of gun seams to work the best for PA hunting?

Second I have no place to hunt as of yet and I mostly likely will hunt state game land. I live near Allentown, Where is the best state land to hunt in this area?

Thanks,

DeerSlayer12ga

Bowtechian

RE: New PA Hunter

Postby Bowtechian » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:30 pm

First of all, welcome to the forum & to PA. You may want to check the regulations in your area if you haven't already before deciding on what gun to buy. There's State Park land open to hunting that borders the land I hunt on in PA(York County) that is slug gun only. I've never paid close attention to regulations, nor have I hunted that far east, so I can't help you with what state game lands to hunt.
Dave M.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:54 am

Welcome, DeerSlayer.

I'm afraid I can't answer questions about where to hunt in the Allentown area, as I've never hunted that far east.

On the gun question, I prolly wouldn't buy the 7mm magnum. I used to have one of those and I shot an Alaska moose with it as well as a couple of PA whitetails and a coyote. But in my opinion, it's overkill on whitetails. The .30-06 will do everything the 7 mag will do. If it's a gun just for whitetails, there's no reason to go a little lighter, maybe a .308 or a 7mm-08. Lots of opinions, but we all pretty much make our own choices.

Good luck.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

MRHunter

Postby MRHunter » Thu May 13, 2010 7:13 am

Welcome to PA DeerSlayer12ga.

I would suggest checking out the PA Game Commission web site. http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/ Here you will be able to see were the State Game Lands are located in your area. You will also see the Wildlife Management Units (WMUs). There are special regulation WMUs just south of you that require only shotgun (no rifles). There is another special regualtion unit towards Pittsburgh. The rest of the state can be hunted by rifle. The PGC governs all the hunting priviledges in PA. They also have maps of the different state game lands viewable from their website.

I would also suggest checking out the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR). They govern the State Forests for PA. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/.

I live in the southeast corner of the state. I hunt some local state game lands. Mostly, I hunt the Tuscarara State Forest in Perry County (Central PA).

If you have not noticed, maps.google.com is a good resource as well. If you pull up Allentown, PA, you will see the state game lands and state forests labled for you.

Hope this helps.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri May 21, 2010 10:27 am

You dont need a 7mm for any game in Pennsylvania. You can accomplish the same things with a 30.06, or a .270. Plus the shells are cheaper and the kick is less.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Return to Pennsylvania