how much below max should you set up?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
rushboy222

how much below max should you set up?

Postby rushboy222 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:41 am

i shot a lot last year, all was good. late season, about 20 degrees out, couldn't pull back on a doe, too cold, too many clothes, etc.

i can only pull 60 (or so) in good weather. i know you don't want to readjust midseason to account for late-season cold, ie I want to keep it the same draw weight all year. so what should i set up at this summer so i can keep it there and still pull it back when it gets cold out?

GTOHunter

RE: how much below max should you set up?

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:33 pm

I would think you could drop down to 50lb pull and still have plenty of power to kill a deer?Another thing to consider is what is the amount of let-off your Bow has?You may need a newer/better Bow with more let-off instead of dropping down the poundage of your Bow?

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:56 am

higher let-off wont help ya pull it back! If you cant hold your bow directly in front of you and pull straight back without straining, you are over bowed. Shoot more at higher weights, then back it off 5-10lbs for season and you should be fine. Problem with most is they quit shooting regularly once season opens and the muscles weaken.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:14 pm

I had the same problem you did.  I switched to a 60 pound bow and haven't looked back.  Remember that a bow shoots most efficiently at its peak draw weight, so you are better to shoot a 60 pound bow at 60 than  a 70 pounder at 60.  Realistically, shooting 70 pounds may make perfect range estimation a little more forgiving, but you dont need that much to kill a deer.

rushboy222

Postby rushboy222 » Sat May 03, 2008 1:18 am

thanks everybody, i'm going to do several things: 1. get a 60 pound bow (somebody's correct, i had a 70 pound bow tuned way down), 2. get a new bow that's smoother, 3. get it set up for me properly, 4. keep shooting during the season

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sun May 04, 2008 6:45 pm

Sounds like the 4 step process to archery success!

maxhunter

Postby maxhunter » Mon May 05, 2008 7:37 am

Hey Rushboy - hitting the weights might help too!  From July through bow season I usually add a few exercises to my routine to keep the arm, shoulder and back muscles in shape.  Seated row, dumbell flys and dumbell shrugs (amongst others) have helped to isolate areas that are key in pulling back the bow.

Another suggestion for late season hunting - get a Heater Body Suit.  I've been using one for the last 4 or 5 years and it makes a world of difference on those colder hunts.  You can get away with wearing less clothes underneath and still stay warmer than wearing 8 different layers.  I've been out when it is below zero and still stayed toasty warm.  Even when it isn't freezing cold - you can get away with wearing less clothes.  For me it helps to not get sweated up on the way in, which in turn helps from getting cold once you settle in on your stand.  Definitely worth looking in to!

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue May 13, 2008 6:23 pm

Max:  How much do these suits cost?  Your suggestion is something I'd consider, not because of my bow weight, but just to stay on stand longer.

maxhunter

Postby maxhunter » Thu May 15, 2008 8:38 am

They are around $300.  Considering it lets me get out and use the thousands of dollars I have tied up in other equipment a few more days per year - it's worth the price to me.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun May 18, 2008 12:29 pm

maxhunter does what i do.. workout really hard then go shoot. i do it year round but if you dont want to just workout before shooting, hit them hard until you cant lift anymore then go home and shoot.. youll be amazed! also the ladies love it too.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting