I wanna lose weight

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
Relentless

RE: I wanna lose weight

Postby Relentless » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:21 am

Thanks JPH.  The nice thing about having my buddy send me weekly workouts is that I don't have to do the same thing day in and day out.  That variation and the challenge are two things that keep me going. 

You don't have any good breathing tips do you?  I feel I could improve slightly on breathing technique.  I try to take big, deep breaths when running.  Maintaining my pace has helped me a little....on the long runs anyway.

Oh, one last thing...the scale...the one I hate, was good to me the other day for the first time in a while. As stated earlier though....when I started in January I could run about 7 minutes before stopping...now I can run at least 47 so something good is happening regardless of what the scale says.
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:53 am

ORIGINAL: Relentless

You don't have any good breathing tips do you?  I feel I could improve slightly on breathing technique.  I try to take big, deep breaths when running.  Maintaining my pace has helped me a little....on the long runs anyway.

No, not really any techniques but I do have a few thoughts on breathing.

If you train frequently in the "anaerobic" range, meaning highly intense activity for sort periods (as in CF workouts), you don't have to worry about breathing technique. You become so hungry for air that every fiber becomes focused of pulling it into your body. This seems to make the demands of breathing during aerobic work (jogging, etc.) much easier.

I might also suggest training with a mouthpiece in or even wearing a mask (as a firefighter, I sometimes workout in my breathing apparatus). This also forces you to really focus on breathing and makes the work done without it seem much easier.

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:17 am

Thanks again JPH.  And you are dead on....I often get to the point of pulling every fiber of tissue for one more deep breath!  I am going on a two hour or so shed hunt in a couple hours...cannot wait.  I will be searching hard for the left side of a dandy 10 pointer.  I found the right side last Friday.  Probably a 145-150 class....I have not measured the first shed yet.  Either way it should be a good moderate workout.
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

biggamehunter4481

Postby biggamehunter4481 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:40 pm

stair master for 10 minutes, then eliptical for 10, then stairmaster for as long as you can on fast!!!. that will help alot especially at the end of your workouts

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:15 am

heck, i'm 6'1" 195 and my Dr told me to lose 10 lbs. I thought about cutting off my foot just in spite of his comment, but then thought better of it. I wonder where Dr's and insurance companies come up with their build charts? Perhaps they should look around and update their charts.

aa009741

Postby aa009741 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:55 pm

Ya like paulie said, I would check that section out..JPH has some real good stuff in there.

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:01 am

Update: I am hovering steady at 230 lbs, give or take one or two at any given time.  I feel better, clothes fit better, but still have a ways to go.  I have actually slacked a little on the workouts since my kids got back in school and the days are getting shorter.  I did manage to run a 7 mile race in late July in 63 minutes and 4 seconds.....along with a couple 5k's...the best being a 23:48.  I have one this Sunday to run as well.  Getting close to the season opener so workouts are going to remain at about 3 a week but, as long as I can maintain until January I should be able to drop the other 20-25 I am working towards. 

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:30 am

That is fantastic news! Your 5k ties are pretty freaking fast for 230lbs.! Sounds like you are pretty darn fit.

I wish you the best. Stay injury free and have an awesome deer season!

Paudavid

Postby Paudavid » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:53 pm

You know, i have had the same problem in my past. Im 20 and around the same height. Im a big boned guy, and all the junk doesnt seem to help. I've lost over 50 pounds in the last 10 months. I weigh about 249. Just cutting out junk isnt really going to help. I hadda cut out all junk and minimize the amount i ate. It sucks, but it helps and makes a big difference.

Work out a little more and give it soem time.
You'll be suprised.

]Boulder chiropractors

Dylan

Re: I wanna lose weight

Postby Dylan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Hit the gym, get in a treadmill and WALK. Don't run. Walk as fast as you want or can. But don't run. Can I say that again? Don't run!
Combine with sensible (doesn't have to be too crazy) diet and watch them pounds peel off.

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness