Which .308 to Buy?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
wseested

Which .308 to Buy?

Postby wseested » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Ok, set up a little poll here. I am looking into getting my next deer rifle but am torn between the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight and the Remington Model 700 SPS. I do know that I definitely want .308, but I'm interested in your opinion. Thanks!

Dan Salmon

RE: Which .308 to Buy?

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:56 pm

At one point in time, the Model 70 was just a long action with a spacer block in the magazine.  I haven't paid much attention to whether or not that has changed.  If you are looking for a true short action, the Remington is the way to go, but I don't think there is a nicer looking rifle than the Featherweight.  It's your choice, form over function, or something like that.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon May 03, 2010 5:06 pm

I would also check out the following Rifles for their reliability and craftsmanship too!

Browning A-bolt Hunter Bolt-action
Savage Hunter with the Accu-trigger in a bolt-action also.

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue May 04, 2010 3:41 am

It hurt to do it but I voted for the Winchester.  Both are good guns but the newer construction - baseline-- Remington s are kinda junky IMO as far as fit and finish.  I still own a lot of Remington rifles and my deer gun is a 660 Mohawk in 308.  But the Big Green just isn't what it once was.  I am seeing a lot of rusting issues from stuff made in the last 15 years.  Winchester is not what they were 50 years ago either, but the over all Model 70 design is very sound and has stood in good stead for 100 years.  I have not picked up the new Featherweights but I own a pre-64 Featherweight and like that gun more than I do most of my kin![:D]  Both the guns you mention are good guns and will stand good for you for life and you can drop any deer in the woods with a 308 (can't go wrong there).  I'm just a rifle snob and love older rifles.  I plan on buying at least two new rifles b4 i punch out --- both will be 308 winchester one will be a TC Icon the other will be a Sako Finlight 75.  These represent (IMO) the difference between a good rifle and a great rifle in the full production lines available today.  
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Sat May 15, 2010 6:13 am

I own two Model 70s and both are real fine shooters.  I had a Remington 700 that did not have a good a wood to metal fit as the Winchester and the balance was not as good (to me) as the Winchester.  When I throw the Model 70 in .308 to my shoulder, it is like shaking hands with an old firend.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri May 21, 2010 10:40 am

I dont think you could go wrong either way.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

little_deer_aaron

Postby little_deer_aaron » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:17 am

I really enjoy all of my Remingtons.
Deer Hunt'n with an Enfield NO5 303 and a 50 cal CVA
May God bless all of us with a Blessed and Fruitful hunting season

yokelokie

Postby yokelokie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:57 am

I have 4 rifles in .308 WIN. (my favorite deer cartridge by the way) Year before last I bought a Tikka T3 Hunter with synthetic stock and blue barrel. Awesome shooter!!! drives tacks. Not much to look at, but fits great and handles like a dream. The bolt is long action, but the smoothest I've handled by far. The parts are made by Sako, assembled in Japan. I recommend it wholeheartedly. I'm sure the two rifles you are looking at are fine rifles. I never saw a .308 I didn't like.

Return to Guns and Ammo