What Ruins your Hunt?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Cut N Run

RE: What Ruins your Hunt?

Postby Cut N Run » Wed May 12, 2010 11:30 am

Yard dogs.  I had a great piece of woods (48 acres of mature oaks that had huge cutovers re-planted in pines bordering it on 3 sides) with exclusive permission to hunt it. Deer would come out of those cutovers and move into the oaks looking for acrons in droves.  At the start of bow season, these scroungy yard dogs would come bustin' through the brush running the deer ahead of them a little after daylight & just before dark (I thought the dog owners were probably leaving for work or had just come home & turned the dogs out).  It turns out that the people who owned these dogs would stop and pick up any stray along side of the road they saw and add it to the pack.  The woman was living off a trust fund and didn't do anything close to work and the man was sponging off the woman so he could live off her money without having to work.  I asked them to put the dogs up so I could hunt undisturbed, which they did for a few days.  One morning one of those dogs ran a huge buck I'd been hunting past me too far and too fast to shoot.  I climbed back down, went straight to the house, and told the owners if they would keep the dogs up I would share some venison with them.  That worked for a week or so. Next time I just called animal control on them and the dog owners were forced to build a fence to keep the dogs in. It took the dogs about 3 days to dig out of the fence & it started all over again. Before those people moved in with their pack of dogs that piece of woods was as good a place to hunt as you could ask for. Since those people and their dogs moved in, I saw fewer and fewer deer. The deer turned nocturnal to feed in that oak grove and keep away from the dogs.

Sadly, the landowner passed away and his family had the land logged.  Now, there's not a tree big enough to hunt out of and it is being developed into a subdivision. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed May 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Tresspassers tick me off . Most of the properties I hunt are posted and we always get folks tresspassing .
1) They didn't know it was posted . Signs are 50' apart in plain sight .
2) Said they had permission but are lying . They don't even know who owns the property .
3) After I am set up in my stand early , someone comes by stinking up the area and ruining my hunt .

I don't hunt a property unless I have permission .........
Semper Fi !

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Sun May 23, 2010 2:03 pm

The only thing that would ruin my hunt is hot temps.
If you can find it you can kill it.

metrx

Postby metrx » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:55 pm

I find it interesting to see people in different parts of the country have different issues.  Some of which are a non issue for me.

Mine is other hunters.  Whether on private or public land.  You got up early, busted your butt to get into your stand nice and early and some yahoo comes walking right by you at a quick pace because he's late around 7:00 am.  Better yet, the guy who waves to me on the way by, so I know he sees me...and posts 50-75 yards from me.  Where's the f#$%ing etiquette?

B1gbuck

Postby B1gbuck » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:33 am

[size="3"][font="arial"]How do you add  any of these ring tones to my cell phone?[/font][/size]

PhillipW66

Postby PhillipW66 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:54 am

Solution for bugs, thermacell every since i got one i have had no problem at all with them, but the one problem i do seem to have is a dang deer dog..and its really not the dogs fault its people that are to lazy to get out scout a piece of property hang a set and get up and go hunting..i dont see how standing by ur truck/on top with a gun waiting for a deer to run out in the field could be fun..but thats lazy hunters for you. 
BearAtkMan

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:21 pm

The absolute worst thing to find is another who does not have permission to be on the property sitting in your stand.  This happened last season to my brother who was hunting my stand.  He was late getting to his stand that morning because he forgot something at home.  He had to turn around and go back.  By the time he got to my stand, he could see a figure in it. When he got there the guys had the balls to ask him if this was his stand.  No he just wanted to watch how it is done you moron.  My brother and I are the only ones with access to this property, so that has to be my biggest problem, other hunters near.
Andy

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:30 pm

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

Tresspassers tick me off . Most of the properties I hunt are posted and we always get folks tresspassing .
1) They didn't know it was posted . Signs are 50' apart in plain sight .
2) Said they had permission but are lying . They don't even know who owns the property .
3) After I am set up in my stand early , someone comes by stinking up the area and ruining my hunt .

I don't hunt a property unless I have permission .........

I couldn't agree with you more. Last year we had a tresspasser walk right past the no tresspassing sign and down our trail. He knew that he was breaking the law, because he turned tail and yelled to his buddy "He's in here"
as he ran back to the road.

I'm thinking about taking one for the team and looking for tresspassers all season this year. What has the world come too

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Here's a category not in the poll. Let's say a guy hunts in a state that only allows one buck per season. Let's say this guy went, oh perhaps 3 years without a chance to take or even seeing a decent buck. Let's say on the last day of his hunt on the 4th year, he gets kind of antcy & takes a nothing to write home about buck. Let's say on the way back to his vehicle he now has to pass up an easy shot at the most beautiful B&C class 12 pointer he has ever had a chance at in his entire life.

Don't you think that would ruin his hunt? I would guess he might even give up hunting for maybe 3 years after that. Of course, I'm only guessing. I mean who has such bad luck, and maybe during the same year he blew a $7,500 jackpot at Atlantic City. Nah, stuff like that doesn't happen in real life.
[:(]

wolfcliff

Postby wolfcliff » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:30 am

I voted high temps that shut down activity, but almost hit barking sq- s now I keep a wrist rocket in my pack and have actually nocked em' out of the tree just trying to scare them off.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting