Do You Think the QDM Bubble has Burst?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
SwampLife

RE: Do You Think the QDM Bubble has Burst?

Postby SwampLife » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:50 pm

I stand corrected.

You just gained major 'cool points' in my book.

About land/deer management. Yes a few years ago i started believing in passing does when your neighbors are slaughtering them, just makes sense come the rut. Combine that with good cover, preferred food sources and low impact hunting... you will have the bucks on your property for sure. Unfortunately I don't have a place to practice all of my great ideas, but seems you're property is proof positive.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:33 pm

I got to agreeeee with you on this statment also swamplife. I live in panama city fl. and hunt the swamp, Its like night and day from hunting up north, If you ever get a chance to hunt up north you will love it! lots easier,and INDIANA allows you to spotlight deer at night as long as you dont have a weapon in the truck.... I have seen some monsters up their spotlighting. Its a whole different world during the rut. fun fun fun
ORIGINAL: SwampLife

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt
thanks for ur response swamplife and I do agree with you on that email you sent me... but I haven't figured out how you people get these dang QUOTES posted on this forum lol

What email?

the quote button is at the top right corner of each post.

ORIGINAL: ShoulderNuke!
but if you are not taking mature bucks on a faily consistant basis than you are not doing what you should do or are being misslead somewhere .

I arguably hunt one of the toughest deer herds in the nation. Poor habitat, poor genetics, no sound deer management within hundreds of miles, low deer density, gators, snakes, waist high cypress swamps choked with vegetation, mosquitoes, 90* days during archery(now imagine scent control) and orange visible in every direction during gun...

but I still pull out decent bone every year, off public land.

Those are some nice pictures from deer hunting Heaven but I hunt in deer hunting Hell. I would love to see you attempt to do what I do, where i do it.

But I am still at a loss as to how all of this is relevant to the contradictions i pointed out in my last post. Nice way to dance around it though, with the pics and bragging and everything, but a simple "I was wrong" would have sufficed.

Oh, and don't get me wrong m8, I kinda like you and your super-opinionated posts and whatnot. For the most part I agree with what you have been typing.

Oh, and for the record, some of the hands down greatest deer hunters I have ever known have never killed a 'mature' buck.

ShoulderNuke!

Postby ShoulderNuke! » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:20 am

Yes it is better up here but I would not say easier it has its own challanges as it pertains to mature deer up here . Funny about the spotligt thing though .I am currently lobbying our NRC to abolish it in season .I also do not own one ! I sleep at nite .LOL
35 years of hunting deer and more than I can count down and I still learn something new every year! There are no absalutes with Deer or in Deer hunting

greenihunter

Postby greenihunter » Fri May 14, 2010 1:51 pm

I agree with all about the deer, I live and have hunted in PA all my life, the PA game comission has all but killed off the deer for greed, they continue to hand out doe permits, some areas I agree are doing good but thats the areas were its close to city limits and tough to hunt, they are attempting to correct the problem with only one week of doe in some areas and cutting 121 doe permits in some areas yes 121 what a joke, they are the reason land owners are posting to protect the deer, a total of over 2 miles of land around here has been posted in my area alone no joke, and its not farmers, lets face it farmers are a dying breed so they cant use it

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Fri May 14, 2010 7:08 pm

first of all, 'killing off deer for greed' is not QDM, actually its the opposite. If they gave it a QDM front, then I guess QDM is to blame?

second, their revised management plan has done wonders where I hunt in Crawford and Erie counties.

I heard NC statelands are not fairing so well...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Sun May 23, 2010 5:11 pm

I believe that DDH used it as an attention getter and magazine seller.  I know I grabbed the magazine and flipped to the article immediately.  There really was nothing there that I have not heard before. Having been actively involved in QDM for 20 years, I think I have seen and heard most every possible concern with the concept, with basically none of them standing up. If you have studied the concept from its early days in Texas, you will quickly see that this concept has evolved into a great variety of things, many of them with no real connection to the QDMA ideas.

I know that I personally have never been happier with the concepts. It is truly a 365 day a year activity for my family. The Biology is very solid and as a Wildlife Biologist, this is where I think most people are lacking. The lack of education is still a great concern of mine, and it shouldn't be.  People have had their expectations expanded to a point that there is no way that they can meet them. The uneducated media is part to blame.  They try to sell these "false hopes and dreams" and then blame the concept when it fails. Not every buck is going to be a 180" deer at 4 years of age...... but if you get enough of them to 2-3 years of age the percent that do make it to 4+ increases greatly and thusly you are "telling me I have a chance" at a true genetically superior deer but these are still very rare in most areas.

Most areas in the country are still in the "learning" area of QDM. I know that the younger generation would never consider anything but QDM and this alone will carry it into the future.

WIQDMA

ShoulderNuke!

Postby ShoulderNuke! » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:36 am

ORIGINAL: wiqdma

I believe that DDH used it as an attention getter and magazine seller.  I know I grabbed the magazine and flipped to the article immediately.  There really was nothing there that I have not heard before. Having been actively involved in QDM for 20 years, I think I have seen and heard most every possible concern with the concept, with basically none of them standing up. If you have studied the concept from its early days in Texas, you will quickly see that this concept has evolved into a great variety of things, many of them with no real connection to the QDMA ideas.

I know that I personally have never been happier with the concepts. It is truly a 365 day a year activity for my family. The Biology is very solid and as a Wildlife Biologist, this is where I think most people are lacking. The lack of education is still a great concern of mine, and it shouldn't be.  People have had their expectations expanded to a point that there is no way that they can meet them. The uneducated media is part to blame.  They try to sell these "false hopes and dreams" and then blame the concept when it fails. Not every buck is going to be a 180" deer at 4 years of age...... but if you get enough of them to 2-3 years of age the percent that do make it to 4+ increases greatly and thusly you are "telling me I have a chance" at a true genetically superior deer but these are still very rare in most areas.

Most areas in the country are still in the "learning" area of QDM. I know that the younger generation would never consider anything but QDM and this alone will carry it into the future.

WIQDMA

Once again QDM is not about growning up bucks to 3.5 4.5 or growing any trophies at all its about a balanced herd with every age of deer being take just as they would be in the wild. It is about the keeping the herd within the carring capacity of the land they live on and healthy . That is all it is supposed to be about
35 years of hunting deer and more than I can count down and I still learn something new every year! There are no absalutes with Deer or in Deer hunting

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:49 pm

A balanced deer herd does include deer from all age structures and thusly will hold the potential of older "trophy" deer.  I realize more than any one that getting a few "trophies" is only a by-product of the entire process.

WIQDMA

3 to 1

Postby 3 to 1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:18 am

I think QDM is over rated. In the REAL " middle class" world you try to wait for something nice to walk past your tree stand; but in the end you take what GOD gives you. I wish the web site would get a new poll question.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:03 pm

ORIGINAL: 3 to 1

I think QDM is over rated. In the REAL " middle class" world you try to wait for something nice to walk past your tree stand; but in the end you take what GOD gives you. I wish the web site would get a new poll question.

...and this whole time I thought I was "middle class", what with my civil sevant salary and side jobs to make ends meat. Wait until I tell my wife and kids!

I do like the part where you give credit to God though. Props on that!

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management