Are the prices keeping you from buying a safety harness?

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Goose

Are the prices keeping you from buying a safety harness?

Postby Goose » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:03 am

As some of you know I recently took a fall while hanging a tree stand. If you haven't read the story here is the link to it. Please read it and learn from my mistakes. http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=39769

After taking the advice of another poster on these forums, I went and saw a chiropractor to see if anything was wrong that I couldn't see.
After xrays and one adjustment I have at least 2 more to go. My neck took a pretty good beating and he said that if i would've landed harder or differently, I could've been a quad. He says that the same disc that Christopher Reeves (abc?) damaged is the one that I also strained, right by the brain stem.
Thank the good Lord above that all I ended up with is some lost skin and sore shoulder and neck!!!!

Luckily my wife had a coupon for free xrays and a consultation from her chiropractor.($250)
I had one visit today and for sure 2 more to go yet, so at $41 a piece that already comes out to $123
About the same price for a top of the line safety harness.
I am very lucky and blessed because this could have been much worse, so remember next time you cringe at the prices of one of these vests, one prevented fall (even if you land just right) it has paid for itself.
Please buy a harness, and wear it per the directions.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bucktale

RE: Are the prices keeping you from buying a safety harness?

Postby bucktale » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:13 pm

Glad to here you didn,t get too messed up Goose. Somebody for sure was with you. I know I should buy one but haven't as of yet. Been climbing trees for over 40 years and never fell out of one yet but it only takes once. I guess I should look into buying one. I usually am out in the woods by my self and nobody really knows where I am, although I finally did get a cell phone this year but the phone is not going to stop me from falling. Thanks for the advice. I have a good friend that fell out of a ladder stand and really screwed up his back. He tells me he is in pain all the time.
Dave

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:52 am

I bought a Hunter Safety System a few years ago . I thought it felt heavy but got used to it . I don't sit in a Treestand without it !
How much value does one put on his life ? Bruises and scrapes are one thing but death or being palalyzed is another . Every once in a while we hear about a hunter falling to his death or becoming an invalid due to a fall that could have been prevented . Let's be safe out there !!!
Semper Fi !

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:20 am

Initially the high prices did keep me from buying a decent harness and the strap contraption they include with the stands themselves were too difficult and cumbersome to put on in the dark by yourself. However, one day I was pushing myself to "keep at it" stayed too long in the stand and fell asleep. Startled awake and had a split second of terrifying vertigo as I was about to fall head first right out of the stand. That did it. Got lucky and didn't fall. Took that as my "Hey, Stupid" sign. Just like Goose said the math just does not add up. A good 70.00 to 80.00 vest style harness is nothing compared to 700.00, 7,000.00 or even 70,000.00 in med expenses not to mention the strain it will put on your family to care for your crippled stubborn butt when you are laid up. Buy and wear the vest. No exceptions.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:36 am

ORIGINAL: 8uck5nort

A good 70.00 to 80.00 vest style harness is nothing compared to 700.00, 7,000.00 or even 70,000.00 in med expenses not to mention the strain it will put on your family to care for your crippled stubborn butt when you are laid up. Buy and wear the vest. No exceptions.

That is the part that has bothered me the most in hindsight. If I would have broken anything, Id be off of work for at least 6 weeks.....that would not cut it. Its more than just your body out there, its everything that is depending on you making it home safe.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:38 am

I use the Hunter Safety System as well.  Yep, it's expensive, but given what I'm protecting it's worth the price - at least my wife tells me so [:)]. 

Most treestands come with some type of harness, but I only used them occassionally because they were just too much of a pain to untangle and put on each morning.  The vest system makes putting it on and wearing it easy, plus it gives me additional pockets, another reason to buy one. 

Don't leave home without one.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:37 am

This will be the first year I hunt a whole season with climbing stand so I will be buying a Hunter Safety System vest before the season starts regardless of it's cost. If anyone has the newest model vest I do have a question. I know they made the vest lighter but is it true the pockets don't close? I notice the old one had velcro closures but there is no mention of how the new pockets stay closed.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:26 am

I've fallen as well putting up a tree stand a few years ago.  Not worth it!  I use Loggy Bayou's harness system.  It's not bulky at all and very easy to put on and take off.  Are some safety harnesses kind of spendy?  Yes.  But what price do you put on your life?
QDM!

TrapperJohn

Postby TrapperJohn » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:10 am

I have been wearing the HHS vest for a couple of years. I will not hunt from a treestand without it. I know of too many people that have been severely injured from falling. If you intend to keep hunting: WEAR A VEST !!!!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:48 am

For those on a budget (like me) you can find the 6 point body harnesses on E-Bay for $25 and in some cases less...yeah I know what everyone thinks of them but its better than the alternative.

Next

Return to Tree Stands