Deprimiming live primers

Disclaimer: This Web site's authors, editors and publisher have no control over the assembly of ammunition, arms it is to be fired in or how the resulting ammunition may be used. Therefore, no responsibility, either implied or expressed, is assumed for the use of any of the loading and reloading data on this site.
fasteddie

Deprimiming live primers

Postby fasteddie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:24 pm

I de-primed and sized some 270 cases for my son with just a regular sizing die . I polished the cases cleaned the primer holes and primed 50 cases . As I was making up 20 rounds of different powder grains and loading a 130 gr Sierra bullet , one of the cases felt loose . I found that the bullet would be loose when I tried it in some of the cases without powder .
It had me baffled and after thing things through , I recall not using the "full size die" because they were all fired from the same rifle . But ........... they were not . My son had bought a 2nd 270 so the brass was fired from two separate rifles . Could I or Should I fire the unloaded primed brass and then run it through the full size die ? Is there another alternative ?
Semper Fi !

MSHunter

RE: Deprimiming live primers

Postby MSHunter » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:24 pm

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

I de-primed and sized some 270 cases for my son with just a regular sizing die . I polished the cases cleaned the primer holes and primed 50 cases . As I was making up 20 rounds of different powder grains and loading a 130 gr Sierra bullet , one of the cases felt loose . I found that the bullet would be loose when I tried it in some of the cases without powder .
It had me baffled and after thing things through , I recall not using the "full size die" because they were all fired from the same rifle . But ........... they were not . My son had bought a 2nd 270 so the brass was fired from two separate rifles . Could I or Should I fire the unloaded primed brass and then run it through the full size die ? Is there another alternative ?

I did a Google search on this. The two most popular solutions are 1) fire the unloaded brass and then deprime  or 2) soak brass in oil over night then deprime.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:48 pm

Thanks for the response ! [:)]
Semper Fi !

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:48 am

I've de-primed live primers after a good soaking in WD-40.  It's a long story as to why, but the short of it is that it worked. 

Having said that, my preferred method would be to fire them off.  That way you don't have to worry about cleaning the oil off.  It's also a bit safer.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rob

Postby rob » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:32 pm

my opinion after 35 years of reloading is there is NO safe way to deprime a live primer. Fire it off.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:17 am

Thanks for the advice . I gave the primed cases to my son to fire in his rifle .
Semper Fi !

Return to Reloading