Do You Think the QDM Bubble has Burst?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
dtrain56

RE: Do You Think the QDM Bubble has Burst?

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:07 pm

I don't think the bubble has burst...for anyone who has practiced some QDMA...even at the small scale like myself...the results have spoken for themselves and you would never go back to hunting any other way...

I do think some have been turned off to the idea of QDMA by TV.... since they only shot deer that most "middle" class guys don't have access to or the time to hunt that much to actually kill a true monster...

but in my small neck of the woods, even with  a lot of hunting pressure around it i have seen better deer and gotten a "good" buck for my area each year...though so have the guys who crowd my land. and i only hunt less then a dozen days a year now...a far cry fro m the 60 or so i used to spend way back when.( not so far back but long enough)

it is amazing how a little sele restraint and some small habitait improvments can improve the deer herd around you.

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:35 am

The QDM bubble hasn't burst for me and I don't think it ever will. I have seen what it can do for your hunting. For many years I tried to kill every buck I saw no matter the size. Antler 1 inch above the hair line the minium here in Fla. I joined a club in Ala. in 1990 that practiced QDM and my hunting changed so much for the better. We had antler restrictions. 12 in spread and 6 point min and a 3 buck limit. We were targeting 2 1/2 year and older bucks and also got 2 doe tags.
I had never passed up a buck for any reason. I passed up better bucks than the best I had ever taken the first year. I don't ever expect to kill a booner on this property,but I get to look at alot of bucks. I saw at least 1 racked buck everyday I hunted last season. I killed a 17 inch wide 8 point on the second day of gun season and he was standing in a food plot with a smaller 8 point when I shot him. I know that I can sit anywhere on this lease and see deer everyday. I enjoy watching deer and I feel I have a much better chance practicing QDM.
Stump sittin since 1981

DieselBuzz

Postby DieselBuzz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:39 pm

Hello, all...QDM has made me a better hunter overall, better appreciation of the game. I try to understand the four cornerstones and realistically do "my" individual part with what I have. Is it a perfect, probably not, but it has awakened many to the study and promotion of whitetails.  And it's FUN!  Let's not loss sight of that![:)]
"...To err is Human, To forgive is not SAC policy..."

bhovika

Postby bhovika » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:26 pm

The largest and hardest part of a deer that will survive time is the pelvic girdle bone structure. The sex and age of a deer can be fairly accurately determined from the pelvic girdle. Examination of these left-over pelvic girdles provides an accurate picture of the sex and age distribution of the deer the Indians were harvesting.

furrowoutdoors

Postby furrowoutdoors » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:18 am

Def don't think the bubble has burst. Hunters just need to make sure they have set goals that are achievable for their property. A hunter def can't think they can manage a herd if they only have 50 acres.

Furrow Outdoors - Quality Outdoor Equipment including Hunting Gear, Hunting Apparel, Archery Equipment, Camping Essentials and much more.

NorthernoaksHunt

Postby NorthernoaksHunt » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:18 am

Ive seen the best results from just shooting the oldest bucks and letting the younger ones pass and by equalling out the sex ratio and leting nature grow the deer.
Hit Em Fast And Hit Em Hard

NorthernoaksHunt

Postby NorthernoaksHunt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:38 am

yeah its taking way to much time, effort and money when over at my uncles house we have seen some 180 class deer by simply killing certin deer and letting others walk and reach full potential

Rmewrench

Postby Rmewrench » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:26 pm

I live in Northeast Ohio, and I dont think most hunters where I live even know what QDM is!!!!

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management