Clover

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
FIRELTTOM

RE: Clover

Postby FIRELTTOM » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:28 am

Two things. That is huge clover; what's the other green in the background? I have a couple shady problem areas myself. Also, does anyone know the mixing rate for Butyrac 200? I bought a gallon and the instructions are all in a pints per acre format. I will be backpack spraying about 1/2 an acre of clover in northern Wisconsin.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:41 am

Google Succra Seed...this is their beef bank...High sugar rye and orchard grass seed mixed with aberdart and I can't remember the other clover....it took off like mad....this is a pretty shady area...I planted it in two other shade spots and the deer and turkey have hit it hard....I chose the beef bank for a reason but they have wild life/deer mixes as well as goat and pasture rejuvenatory mix...I'm very pleased with it...

FIRELTTOM

Postby FIRELTTOM » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:45 pm

I'll check it out. Do the deer really utilize the orchard grass. Are you broadcasting the mix or something else? As for the mixing question; Butyrac 200 is a much cheaper alternative to TWI's broadleaf killer. The one pint bottles fro $40-$50 were killing me! I just want to make sure I'm mixing it right.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:03 pm

The chemical ? I can't really answer...I mow and  have my plots on a three to four year start up plan..sorta speak...that cleans them up with round up and natural  weed suppressants.....The deer and turkey seem to be using every thing in the Succra Seed plots...these are new to me as well..... this spring is my first planting of a commercial mix...though I have used WTI seeds on a small scale in the past...I normally make up my own mix..Good luck...Goose may be of assistance on the chem.

Rackdaddy

Postby Rackdaddy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:38 am

I agree with the earlier post - I would mow to about 3-4 inches in mid- to late-August, depending on where you live. I'm in SE KS, and mowed my clover in mid-August last year. By mid-September (start of bow season), it was beautiful, and the deer were hammering it.

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:39 am

here are some pics of the existing and newly established plots on our farm this early june.  two clover and alfalfa plots were cut and sprayed with grass killer, one soybean plot was fertilized, and the new ones are going to be one chufa, and one alfalfa, and clover.  fall we will spread turnips, and beets in the annual plots.  these pics were 6 weeks ago.  headed back on the 10th.  hope to see improvements.

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:43 am

sorry.  my files aren't supported.  i'll try to post them another way.

Previous

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements