how much below max should you set up?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
JOEL

RE: how much below max should you set up?

Postby JOEL » Wed May 21, 2008 1:12 pm

power bands that they use at sports rehab places are excellent for bow workouts cuz you can mimic the bow moves[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:55 pm

yeah, a new bow might help. just got a new Marquis after years with a Mathews VX- Pro and the difference is night and day. I'm shooting the same weight (maxed out at 61 pounds, 65% let-off), but the newer bow feels alot easier to draw and hold.

wack

Postby wack » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:25 pm

To stay warm, it all starts with a good base layer that wicks moisture away from the skin. Good socks make a big difference, you want layers that hold the warmth and get rid of the moisture. Get rid of the cotton long johns and get some of the modern stuff like Cold Gear or Cabela's camo skinz or Xscent base layers....there are a bunch of great base layers out there. Most of the silk weights will keep you cool when its warm also.
  As far as draw weight, if you found out that you can't pull back your bow while hunting, I would think maybe you haven't been practicing enough. You can't stop practicing just because season started. I shoot every day before I hunt, even if it's only 3 shots. When you haven't shot for 3 or more days, that first draw is hard. By the 5th shot, it's a little easier. As you get older, arthritis sets in, it takes a few more shots to loosen up. lol With weather changes may come little bow noises. Before leaving the truck to hunt, I always draw my bow back and hold a draw for a few minutes. Gets the blood flowing, check to make sure nothing is squeaking, get the kinks out and find my anchor point. If you are cold in the stand, it's a great time to do a few minutes of practice. Draw your bow, turn different angles for different shots, while holding your draw till you're good and warm.
 I did the same thing my first year. Stopped practicing and just hunted. I shot 5 deer in my 1st 2 months, then winter season, after about 3 weeks of no shooting, a Big buck steps into range and I can't draw. It took me 3 times to get to full draw, I almost didn't get a shot and had to take a 35 yard shot instead of a 15 yarder.
 A good friend of mine had the same problem but he got a bow flex. Problem is his wife now has the bow flex body, his is still in the closet. lmao If he don't start using it soon, he'll be shooting a girls bow soon too.lol I think 35 lbs is the limit.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:15 pm

The first year I hunted I had the same problem, I found that the more I practiced and built up those muscles the better I got.  As for the temps I wear 2 layers in those temps plus a nice 7-in-1 coat I bought a wally world ( not bulky at all )last year I think it was made by remington but I know I did some of those late season 20 degree hunts in that coat and stayed toasty warm.  Also you may want to just pick up the bow and give it a pull once in a while to flex those muscles while your in the stand and keep the blood flowing.

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting