Dan's Question of the Week: Bow Poundage

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Bowtechian

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Bow Poundage

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:12 pm

My draw weight is set at 65 pounds. I want to be able to have a smooth draw no matter what position I'm in and when my muscles are cold. I get plenty of speed at 65, so there's no reason to max out the limb bolts. Maybe with older bows 5 pounds made a more noticable difference, but today's bows are much more efficient. I have a friend that shot a 90 pound BowTech Tribute. When the 82 Airborne came out, he bought one set at 70 pounds. He had to move his 80 yard pin less than 1/16 inch to hit the same spot.

Next to slamming the release, shooting too much poundage is one of the biggest mistakes bowhunters can make. If you have to aim toward the sky or even distort your face to get your bow back, your letting your macho side cloud your better judgement.
Dave M.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Dave, did I read that correctly? 80 yard pin???? WOW.
I probably couldn't hit a deer with my shotgun at 80yds, let alone a stick and string. LOL

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Dave , I couldnt agree with you more . If a hunter is having to jerk , heave , or arc their bow skyward to achieve full draw they should probably turn their bow down . not only do they alert the deer with that type of draw but they also run the risk of a muscle strain that could end the season .

I have never heard of slamming the release . Could someone please tell me what that is ? Thanks
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:14 am

MoDeer, you may have heard it as punching the release. In some cases it's like a drive by shooting. When the pin gets near the bullseye, that arrow has got to go.... "now". Whatever you call it, it's totally opposite from the surprise release you should have.

scottflesher, my friend goes out west every year, so that's why he had the 90 lb. bow & so many pins. He had a sight with 9 pins out to 100 yards, & could shoot well from that distance.
Dave M.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:23 am

Dave, I not only want a lesson from your friend, but I think I want his autograph too.
That is very impressive.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:22 pm

If you have plans on visiting Gettysburg, he's easy to find & he does give lessons. Who knows, you may even walk away with the new bow of your dreams.[;)]
Dave M.

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:39 am

i have a pin for 70 yrds but i don't use it never have too but it's nice to know you can shoot that far with peep i could'nt go past 50 with this new sight it's awsome i could probley go 80-90 but why here's the sight i bought it's great http://www.peepeliminator.com/

ORIGINAL: scottflesher

Dave, did I read that correctly? 80 yard pin???? WOW.
I probably couldn't hit a deer with my shotgun at 80yds, let alone a stick and string. LOL
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:40 am

i started out at 70 lbs. but went down to 60 lbs because i shot better groups.i shoot a darton and reflex with 27 inch draw, speed isn't every thing.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:30 pm

The 'new' bowtech that I bought this off-season is at #70.  My XI Impact which I've had forever was at #65.  Do I think #5 either way makes a difference?  No.  It's kind of like that 1.5% raise you get in the state of the economy that we are in now.  It's nice, but you hardly notice it on each paycheck. 
QDM!

JLS

Postby JLS » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:49 am

I shoot 66# turned down from 72# after a decade or two a few back operations & a bum shoulder, it's much more comfortable to pull back & let down while in the stand. My set up performs just as well as it did when it was cranked up, it's accurate and has good arrow penetration. Without trying to open up a can of worms, I believe if you lower your poundage by 5# & your shooting a mechanical broadhead while teetering with mininal arrow speed it could be detrimental, You need to keep in mind the kinetic energy you are putting out.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features