PETA offers reward for test tube "meat"

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Corey Graff

PETA offers reward for test tube "meat"

Postby Corey Graff » Thu May 22, 2008 12:23 pm

The radical anti-hunting group, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), may have reached the pinnacle of absurdity: The group is offering a $1 million dollar prize, to be given to the first scientist to "grow" what's called "In Vitro" meat and successfully bring that "meat" to market by June 30, 2012.

According to recent media reports, scientists are busy making "sheets" of the artificial muscle -- yep, you heard us right, muscle (some are calling it "Shmeet") -- and report that the product actually tastes genuine.

Other than the expected exuberent costs to buy a shmeet of "meat," perhaps the biggest obstacle preventing this bizarre idea from replacing deer meat acquired by deer hunting is the fact that most clear-thinking folks should find the idea of cultured meat weird and disgusting.

So what'll it be D&DH readers: A sheet of shmeet - or good ol' fashioned backstraps?

shadow

RE: PETA offers reward for test tube "meat"

Postby shadow » Thu May 22, 2008 1:19 pm

I'll take the backstraps!!  O.K., so when you figure out that buying meat at the store will cost me 1.69/lb for ground beef, and anywhere from 4.99-9.99/lb for t-bone and filet mignon (maybe cheaper if you raise your own), now what will this mass produced meat cost, probably more, and what will they find wrong with it and your risk by eating it 10 years down the road? (cigarettes had no health risks in the '50's and 60's too).

As far as the cost of the deer I get, there is no processing fee, but when you factor in the time spent hunting and the equipment and accesories bought every year, it'll cost me more than the 10 bucks a pound I would pay for store bought but I'll take that anyday over buying this mass-meat.

Risking your health eating mass-meat wouldn't be wise. C'mon its not natural, growing meat in a lab, who do ya know that does that or would want to?
And they think that's O.K., because the flesh thats being grown is for consumption, it will never been confined in a pen or cattleyard, or living in the wild, and its never been alive and breathing so to these people thats the difference. No actual animal to be raised for market to have to be put through what they think is pain,suffering and torture, or for that matter, deer in the wild that we have a passion to be out there with and hunt.
Let bambi live...

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu May 22, 2008 4:32 pm

lets see,this memorial day im cooking a whole side of deer ribs and grinding up10lbs into burger/sausage for the smoker/grill plus assorted kabobs.Im gonna have to go with door #1 bob
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu May 22, 2008 5:20 pm

Shmeet is living tissue too, so we kill it and eat it, right?  I think I'll stick with the natural stuff, thanks anyhow.

Corey Graff

Postby Corey Graff » Fri May 23, 2008 3:24 am

Here's another angle: Why doesn't PETA come full circle to re-create the entire living animal from the test tube? Answer: if they did that, these test tube deer would ultimately overpopulate and exceed the carrying capacity of their environment. Thus, these deer would either die off and go to waste -- how is this "humane"? -- or would have to be culled via an intelligent means of hunting and consumed. Again, it all goes back to deer HUNTING.

Doesn't that demonstrate how far out of touch with reality and nature these folks really are -- what lengths they have to go to -- to try to take hunting out of the equation?

In other words: To get hunting out of the equation, they actually have to take the living animal itself out of the equation!

scotman

Postby scotman » Sat May 24, 2008 4:06 pm

This doesn't surprise me one bit. I agree they are out of touch with reality and nature. If they care so much about animals how can't they justify that over population of animals leads to disease, starvation and over browsing. How many scientific studies do they need to be given. I guess if PETA did agree with the scientific studies then they wouldn't have nothing for their members to do. Vandalizing hunting camps and treestands.

I think Shmeet will be a big flop. The good thing that will come out of it for us hunters is thatPETA will be out 1 million dollars. I think that is just a drop in the bucket for PETA though so please if you all care join the NRA or any organization against these extremist groups.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun May 25, 2008 5:59 am

If they can actually create a living "Shmeet" and it grows so big that it breaks out of its cage and escapes they can call on us Hunters to scout for it,set up tree stands,blinds and try to pattern it by following its trails and what the Shmeet would eat (hopefully it only eats PETA followers) then you can count me in to hunt the wild endangered Shmeet Monster....other wise I'll stick to Deer Hunting! LOL ;0)

Ericsignguy

Postby Ericsignguy » Fri May 30, 2008 11:42 am

Horrible!

Test tube creatures(?) have feelings too. I can see it now, Walt Disney Productions makes a cartoon about innocent little test tube creatures having tea parties in their laboratory, then being terribly exploited by evil scientists and (gasp) eaten.

If I was a true-blue PETA member, I would rather starve to death than eat any other living thing, animal, vegetable, or other.

wack

Postby wack » Fri May 30, 2008 3:35 pm

OK guys, fire up those test tubes and let's see if we can make those PETA members some test tube brains! The scary part is the idea isn't really too far fetched.They already can clone about anything, but it's going to take more than 4 years to study long term effects. It's not funny how PETA puts animals before humans and it would make a lot more sense to me to come up with test tube organs to help with the shortage of organ donors. If you remember it was one of the PETA head honcho's that tried to smuggle his 12 year old son out of the country to try to donate one of his sons kidney's to save a chimp. Now that's F'd up!

scotman

Postby scotman » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:47 pm

If you remember it was one of the PETA head honcho's that tried to smuggle his 12 year old son out of the country to try to donate one of his sons kidney's to save a chimp. Now that's F'd up!

Some people have no common sense when it comes to life. That is the first I heard of that...I wonder how many regrets people like that have at the end of there lives.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Return to General Discussions