Poachers Pay After Getting Truck Stuck

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Ben Sobieck

Poachers Pay After Getting Truck Stuck

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:09 am

From wnewsj.com

HILLSBORO - Two men received fines and license revocation in Hillsboro Municipal Court for wildlife violations including taking deer with a rifle and hunting without permission according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.

ODNR said their investigation found that after illegally shooting several deer on private property during the night of Jan. 8, Cody Patton, 20, of Hillsboro and Matt Leisure, 20, of Sabina, got the pick-up truck they were shooting from stuck in a crop field while trying to retrieve the downed deer.

Patton then attempted to have the landowner pull his truck from the muddy field. The landowner refused and reported the activity to Carnes. Upon further investigation, two deer carcasses were discovered in the bed of Leisure's truck and a search of Mr. Patton's residence produced five more carcasses, according to ODNR.

Patton pleaded guilty to seven charges of taking deer with a rifle and hunting without permission. He was ordered by Judge David McKenna to pay restitution on the six whitetail does and one buck totaling $5,122. The buck scored 143 4/8 exceeding the 125" limit and the restitution price of the deer, $3622, was determined under the 2008 revised restitution laws. His sentence also included a one-year hunting license revocation, forfeiture of the rifle used to kill the deer and the antlers of the deer. Patton was also ordered to pay $358 in court costs.

Leisure pleaded guilty to seven charges of taking deer with a rifle and hunting without permission. He was ordered by Judge David McKenna to pay $500 in fines for his part in the poaching. His sentence also included a two-year hunting license revocation and $358 in court costs.
Click here to read the entire article.

Bowtechian

RE: Poachers Pay After Getting Truck Stuck

Postby Bowtechian » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:34 am

Another happy ending. I just don't feel a one year license revocation fits the crime in this case. A year for every deer killed would sound better.
Dave M.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:55 pm

figures that my state would have all the criminals.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine !
Semper Fi !

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:37 am

I say send a message to the other hunters by having a severe punishment for these fools. I think poachers, tresspassers, etc should have a severe penality.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:24 pm

ORIGINAL: scottflesher

I say send a message to the other hunters by having a severe punishment for these fools. I think poachers, tresspassers, etc should have a severe penality.

Use them for TAZER practice ............
Semper Fi !

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:49 am

I the punishment is not enough....unfortunatley...

If i were a poacher would that punishment deter me ...no....

first off they don't care about the license....if they did they wouldn't be killing stuff illegally

if you take away thier license for life it still wont deter a poacher...they don't respect the law as it is...

there needs to be a stiffer penalty...no doubt

yeah the are fined but what is the likely hood the fines are paid...????

jail time needs to be assessed..if you steal 5,000 bucks( no pun intended) you wouold go to jail...isn't this stealing form the land owner???

a year in jail or at least this should be a felony and punishment should be severe....

but our country doesn't belive in a suck things...we give criminals "rights" and leanency.....

mean while these guys are laughing and drinking beer at the bar about how stupid it is they got stuck!!!

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:12 am

right on dtrain. I couldn't agree more.

brow_tine

Postby brow_tine » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:51 am

2 years is not enough. I agree they do give hunters a bad name

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:39 pm

I'm happy that the fee for the buck was high, but more time off from hunting is a better penalty for all of the does.

I hope the local Wildlife Division Officer will be checking in on him.
Don't focus on the destination, Enjoy the Journey

Next

Return to Breaking News