QDM in Michigan

WiredToHunt

QDM in Michigan

Postby WiredToHunt » Thu May 13, 2010 2:49 pm

Anyone out there practicing QDM in Michigan? What are your thoughts on this practice in our state?

It seems like QDM hasn't be as widely adopted in MI as in other areas and I'm curious why that is. Just the overall hunting culture? Thats probably my best guess, so many people are just used to "if its brown, its down" and don't want to deal with any more restrictions.
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

Bowtech1670

RE: QDM in Michigan

Postby Bowtech1670 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:10 am

Here is what I think about QDM, I think it is a good idea, the thing I dont like is when you have these QDM buffs who breath this stuff down people's throat, and ridicule hunters for shooting small/young bucks. Hunting is about doing something you love and putting meat in the freezer, and if you love getting your deer every year, be it a 14 point or a spike you have that right to shoot your buck, and not be put down for its rack size/age. I also hate how these guys say QDM isnt about rack size, because if it wasnt they would shoot doe's not just monster bucks, or when they post a picture of their buck and it has the caption "see QDM does work" that just proves their ultimatly out to increase rack size which is fine with me, but dont lie and say its for the good of the herd!
QDM is a choice, not a law!!!

3tail

Postby 3tail » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:53 pm

well said bowtech i only take one deer because thats all i need i have no problem taking a spike or a doe .plus i dont get much time to hunt so if its a legal buck according to the rules ....then why not take it ?

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:44 pm

A few thoughts...

A.) It has been widely proven that QDM improves the overall health of deer herds and the sustainability of surrounding habitat. I think we can all agree that is a good thing.

B.) Of course big bucks are an important reward of QDM. They aren't the sole goal and benefit of QDM, but they are a very important and tangible result. QDM is about developing better hunting opportunities, habitat, hunters and deer. Seeing more big bucks is a result of healthier deer and habitat and is a key player in making hunting more enjoyable and developing hunters. Don't act like you wouldn't rather shoot a big buck than a spike. I don't care what anyone says, every hunter in the world would shoot a big 10 pointer over a spike, if they were both standing in front of you. So all I'm saying here is that although QDM isn't all about big bucks, it certainly is an important and gratifying benefit of this system.

C.) I agree that QDM should not be pushed on anyone. You are absolutely right, if you shoot a legal deer, by all means you can do that.

D.) When looking at other states such as Iowa or Ohio as examples, you can see that the proliferation of QDM has led to healthier herds, bigger bucks and more dedicated and excited hunters. In my opinion, it is time for Michigan to follow suit. It's time to evolve from "shooters" to "managers". That being said, I won't tell anyone what to do or look down on you for shooting young bucks, hell, I've shot my fair share of young bucks. But my journey as a hunter has driven me to new goals. I would encourage one to consider the possibilities.... If you're a meat hunter, consider shooting a doe and let the young bucks live. When those young bucks come back a year or two later, they'll be worthy of campfire tales and you can still enjoy a delicious backstrap from that slickhead grilling over the coals.
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

namron

Postby namron » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:24 am

Hard to sit there all year praying for 1 shot at a good buck.Now whats the differance between Mi. and Ill. or Oh. Not the habitat,or the food. I beleive too many does,& hardly any bucks over 3 1/2yrs. Because everyone is worried about what will happen when nice little 2 yr.old 8point walks off their property,& onto the next. Also dont like opening day being as close to peak rut as it is.But that will not change here in my lifetime. 

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:44 pm

IMO It just such a waste to shoot a spike or a fork horn or for that matter a basket rack 6 or 8 point. Let them grow up. You would be suprised the difference a year makes. I have been passing up young bucks for more than 20 years. I just can't believe a grown man would get a thrill shooting a spike...

Stump sittin since 1981

IsitInTREES

Postby IsitInTREES » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:39 am

I think too many of us Michiganders ARE worried about not getting a buck.  I also know many people that still look down on, shooting does.

Things have to change.  I think we need a 1 buck limit.  Or even an Earn a Buck program.

I also hunt in Ohio, they have some great policies like oon Buck and Mandatory deer check-ins.

Don't focus on the destination, Enjoy the Journey

motorbreaker

Postby motorbreaker » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:04 am

It seems like QDM hasn't be as widely adopted in MI as in other areas and I'm curious why that is. Just the overall hunting culture? Thats probably my best guess, so many people are just used to "if its brown, its down" and don't want to deal with any more restrictions.

I think the biggest problem in Mi. is to many hunters and to many hunters who that want to harvest something, Anything.
If a person is new to the sport then i'm ok with them harvesting a small buck,
but for someone to continue to harvest small bucks year after year, There
are enough does around for meat,
I havent hunted Mi. since 2004, I now live and hunt in Ohio. QDM is working
here, Because more people practice QDM. And the one buck rule,

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:55 am

I agree, I feel that there are to many hunters who dont want to go home with out a deer. So they will shoot anything and everything till they get one. I feel an earn a buck would be a nice start to things, and I like what they have done in regards to the UP with the point restrictions. However QDM is about the overall herd and not just big bucks, that would be Trophy Buck Mgt (TDM.)

I get what you guys say about Iowa having big bucks, but take a look around..What do you see there? CORN EVERYWHERE! Those deer have food right there and they can hide out in it. This allows them to grow old, and mature. Yes Michigan does have corn as well, but not like Iowa does. Creating santuaries would be a nice start, for deer to hude out in.

Overall I do wish that the Michigan DNRE would do something more to protect the younger deer, wheather it be a rule that it has to have 3 points on one side, (unless the hunter is under the age of 18 or a first year hunter.) Or just putting some other kid of protection plan in place to help our young deer.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

westmibow

Postby westmibow » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:23 am

I personally practice QDM. I have set my own personal antler restrictions and I stick by them. 4 points on a side and he has to be at least 2.5. If he is 2.5 he has to be a nice 2.5. I also strive to shoot 2-3 does a year whether its me or friends I have come and help me out. Why do I do that? I am not going to lie I like seeing big bucks. Quite frankly if anyone says to me that they shoot for the meet and they just shot a fork or a spike it doesn't make any sense. Especially in bow season. Just shoot a doe if you want the meat. Let the 1.5's walk and you will notice a difference in the years to come. Your neighbors won't shoot all of them.

Return to Michigan