Land Access Cited as Top Problem

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Gulfcapt

RE: Land Access Cited as Top Problem

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:36 am

lol Im feeling alittle hint of frustration from you Msbadger! I do agree with u tho... I had alot of oppertunities to by land, But let it slip away. So now I lease, but still looking for the perfect piece! of land that is..
ORIGINAL: msbadger

OK....I hear this all the time and ....while seriously biting my tongue ...I'll say yes I don't know ..how old any of you are...or how long you've been hunting...or if you come from hunting ppl...but did you not have ANY thought to the future years ago when... lets say driving down the road and the open fields you use to see were turning into housing developements and shopping malls? Really no one to blame but YOU!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:38 pm

Kreams ...not sure what that was about but if it's what I think...please go back and read all posts written before and after....I don't know how to do those quote boxes and that was a quote from someone else that I posted to answer another posters ?[;)]

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Top right corner of each persons posters there is a reply quote fwd. what ever poster you want to quote on, hit their quote and it will come up and just start speeking your piece... Sorry for that quote of mine..
ORIGINAL: msbadger

Kreams ...not sure what that was about but if it's what I think...please go back and read all posts written before and after....I don't know how to do those quote boxes and that was a quote from someone else that I posted to answer another posters ?[;)]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:18 am

Thanks Gulfcapt.....you'd think by now I'd figured it out[:o]...lol...probably not have much use for it now any ways ...noticed with the exception of a few posters.... my posts are either ignored or buried any how [;)]

You have a great and safe season

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks Gulfcapt.....you'd think by now I'd figured it out...lol...probably not have much use for it now any ways ...noticed with the exception of a few posters.... my posts are either ignored or buried any how

Oh, come on now badgie, you know as well as anyone else that once YOU make a comment on a topic it makes so much sense, that there's not much else that can be said about it! [;)]

The other thing you can do is aggravate people like I do...it works!!! [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:12 am

Ahh....I love  the smell of sarcasm in the morning...hey just called it as I see it....With the exception of this foolish Ted thing...I believe I've pretty much stayed out of the lets say...stirring the pot posts... this summer...so I don't know who until now I would have ticked off...infact I think this is the first response from you all summer...Funny thing with getting older...I let more observations enter the world then I ever did when younger...Oh well[;)]

I enjoy the discourse with those that respond ...friendly and insightful sportsman so I'm good to go....Have a Great and safe season....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:58 am

I agree with you on the Nugent stuff. IMO there's a lot that's NOT being told......like just WHY would he not contest it, and WHY would something so obvious fall "through the cracks" when you are doing it as TV show that will be aired??? I know they have to have staff who's job it is, is to check stuff like this out, and Ted may a lot of things but stupid ISN'T one of them, not by a longshot.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:20 am

I'll agree...stupid he's not ...Complacent is another ? 

stefanie21

Postby stefanie21 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi. I am newbie here.

Watch Friends Online totally free!

Watch Friends
Watch Friends Episodes

Powell1120

Postby Powell1120 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:19 pm

I can not help but give a chuckle whenever I hear a conversation on this topic. Most of the time it starts with a farmer complaining about how much of his crops he loses to the deer herd, then later when asked permission to hunt, permission is denied becasue he has already leased the land out to a small group of hunters at best, only interested in shooting bucks and not controlling the herd. This is a common scenario that involves a lot of land around Iowa. I can not hold anything against those that want to have a place to hunt in this state, it has been know for producing some of the most impressive deer in the country. The problem is that it gets worse every year. In the last three years alone the group that I hunt with in Southern Iowa has lost access to almost 1000 acres because someone offered to pay for privlidges to the ground. The southern most 2-3 tiers of counties in Iowa offer between 2 and 3000 antlerless tags per county per year. The number of tags offered is based on herd population, and is adjusted annually based on previous years harvests and aerial surveys. There have not been many counties that have seen a reduction in available tags in recent years, atleast in the southern and far eastern parts of the states and infact the number seems to keep creeping higher. These parts of the state are also some of the most sought after parcels to lease.

I hold nothing against those that are willing to pay to hunt, I do however have a hard time listening to the farmers complain time and time again about the problems only to make things worse by not leasing the ground by season (bow, shotgun etc) or include stipulations that leasee needs to harvest a number of antlerless deer or they risk not getting the lease in years to come. I am sure that people that would have no issues with that for the chance to take the buck they have always dreamed of, at least I know I wouldn't. Who doesn't need some meat in the freezer!

This does not apply to all farmers, I know a few who do not refuse any group that asks in advance of the season and will tell them, "If you don't shoot enough of them this year, I will make you come back next year to finish the job". Sounds a little crude, but those with that attitude also know that if they do not allow people to hunt, then their crops will continue to take a hit.

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News