How many deer do you eat a year?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Spurred

How many deer do you eat a year?

Postby Spurred » Fri May 23, 2008 9:14 am

Just looking through the freezer last night and decided we're about halfway through the four deer I butchered last year (donated one and gave another to a family member). My wife and I can usually polish off about 3.5 deer a year if I make the non- roast, steak, and loins into something like brats, polish or snack stix. We don't buy much beef, but every once in a while we do get a craving for a rib eye.

How much do you eat? Do you donate or have friends or family that will takes some if you are doing your part to keep antlerless numbers in check?

loneranger

RE: How many deer do you eat a year?

Postby loneranger » Fri May 23, 2008 12:55 pm

Usually my wife and I,,,,,consume two, though she doesn't eat alot of any meat. About all I eat is deer but I see I am running low this yr. Doe I shot not as big as usual. Guess I may have to harvest more this fall. I do butcher, and package my own too.

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri May 23, 2008 1:14 pm

I will shoot and go through 2-deer a year. One of my daughters and myself are the only ones who eat it, I give some away to a friend who helps me butcher and package it.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri May 23, 2008 1:47 pm

Just one.
This year I am going on two hunts so next years eating total should be two (hopefully).
If I could get 3-4 deer a year I too would make sausage and brats, etc....that would be ideal

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon May 26, 2008 12:23 pm

I usually harvest 2 Deers every year,we make bologna,deer jerky,snack sticks and sausage out them and I save the loins and back straps to cook on the grill.I have shared the products with friends and family members and have taken snack trays with the deer sausage,cheese and crackers to work or partys to share with others that enjoy it too!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon May 26, 2008 4:01 pm

My goal every year is 2 deer, but normally I get one every year.  Our hunting party shares what we get so i usually give some to each other but we can get through almost the entire summer and run out around sept.  We also get sausauge made and other sorts as well.  

Eight_Oak_Acres

Postby Eight_Oak_Acres » Tue May 27, 2008 3:18 am

Around one to two deer a year. Depends on the size of deer I kill, and how many. If I only kill one deer, that's all I eat. :) This past year I killed 4 deer, so I gave some to my in-laws, and donated one to a local food bank.
-Eric

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed May 28, 2008 8:03 am

We consume roughly 3-4 deer per year in our house. I try to fill as many doe tags as I can, so I can afford to be generous with family, friends and neighbors.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:21 am

this year i will only consume one deer and already out, some years 3-4 deer depending on the season and how i do, my girlfriend is great, she likes it mostley in everything, she wont eat steaks  or roast.

I get mostly burger and the back straps whole. We use it for tacos, stromboli, pasta sause, meat loaf, bugers, stews, etc you name it it is usually cooked with venision, if you can use ground meat that is

oh and the best is jerky, got a dehydrator this year...awesome

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:48 am

we usually consume two deer a year. We use everything for anything and we love to get pepper sticks made. I could prbly go thru more than 2 deer in a year, but usually i try not to take more than two deer in a year.

Next

Return to General Discussions