ETHICAL WOUNDED DEER WITH GUN OR BOW

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Gulfcapt

ETHICAL WOUNDED DEER WITH GUN OR BOW

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:28 pm

There was a artical in D&DH under the CHATTER column (Is a 1,000 yard shot an ethical choice?) I considered myself a pretty good shot with a bow! Or at least I thought at that time I was. Practice, pratice, pratice... and I got to where I could group at 40 yards. Opening week of bow season I found myself in a tree looking down at a doe... like always my heart went to thumping and the adrenalin was running... I pulled back got her in my 30 yard sight and released!!  Well it wasn't a pretty shot!

I went and got my son and we tracked her for 45 minutes through brush and palmetto's. When we finally found her she was 10 feet away, laying down looking at us!! I will never forget this image. Her mouth was open, she was pantin and every time she tried to move she made a weird sound. I ended up putting her out of her misery.  That night I thought to myself, how much longer would she have suffered if I hadn't found her? And, no I don't consider a 30 yard shot long.

What I'm trying to say is a long shot, being it with a gun or bow, do you still think its ethical if you lame a animal and never find it?

How many people who actually practice with their weapon of choice, pushes a longer shot in hopes of a clean hit?

No matter how often you practice the likelihood of you being off your mark in a long distance situation is greater then not. Especially when your heart is racing, adrenalin is pumping, with that animal in sight.

I guess a person can argue that any shot that dosn't hit its mark is unethical being short or long.

badtoys

RE: ETHICAL WOUNDED DEER WITH GUN OR BOW

Postby badtoys » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:17 pm

it happens to everybody.
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

berudd

Postby berudd » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:12 am

ORIGINAL: badtoys

it happens to everybody.

This is my thinking as well. Sounds like what you did was perfectly fine but sometimes shizzle happens. For a question of eithics it does not matter to me if it was a quick kill or not. A quick kill on a questionable shot could just be luck. Are the odds high that you would have the same results over and over again? Probably not. But on the other hand the shot, like yours sounds, could be completely reasonable but something goes wrong and it is not a quick kill. That does not mean it was an unethical shot.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:43 am

IMO, any ethical bowhunter would know where his/her maximum effective range is on a target, and then for hunting you reduce that by 1/3 to 1/2. You can group out to 40 yards? Fine. Confine your shots to 25 yards or less. Taking only HIGH PERCENTAGE shots that are in your personal most effective range is what defines "ethics" for me as a bowhunter.

Hunting conditions, not to mention that with a bow your penetration point of the arrow is VITAL (and in low light, shadows, distance this is much harder to tell), plus the increased ability of the animal to move before the arrow strikes as the range increases dictate this.

Save your 40+ yard pins for the 3-D course. A bow is a short range hunting weapon. Period.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:18 am

Hey Gulf don't beat yourself up over it.  This sounds more like remorse and pity more then it does ethics.  I shot a Doe on opening day with my slug gun and instead of the bullet hitting vitals it went through and broke both her shoulders.

She lamented trying to get up and run away before I could get to her and put her down for good.  The thing is (like you) you made eye contact and could see the pain and fear in her eyes.  To this day, I still feel bad and upset over it.

I shot a button Buck last year and it hit the same spot but that bullet hit the shoulder and went straight down into the heart.  Like berudd said, shizzle happens and there is not much that can be done. Like WW said, practice, practice, practice, and even, then you can't be guaranteed that next shot will be 100% right on and quick kill.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:47 am

I shot a button Buck last year and it hit the same spot but that bullet hit the shoulder and went straight down into the heart. Like berudd said, shizzle happens and there is not much that can be done. Like WW said, practice, practice, practice, and even, then you can't be guaranteed that next shot will be 100% right on and quick kill.

Exactly. You alone will know in your heart of hearts if you acted ethically. And no one else but you can judge you either. And it does happen to all of us. The best you can do when it does (and you know that you acted with the best of intentions, even though your judgement may have been off) is to LEARN FROM IT, and do your best to use the situation to your advantage so it doesn't happen again.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:26 am

As a lifelong hunter I am a card carrying member of the "doo-doo happens club". For me these moments seem to come in clusters, and those clusters often come on the heels of high points in my "career". I killed my first large buck with a bow in 1997 and got pretty full of myself. In 1998 I lost two buck and failed to fill a single tag! In 2007 & 2008 I killed several large bucks and enough does to feed several families. Again I was feeling confident (albeit with less arrogance than what I had in my 20's). In 2009 I wounded and lost three does! It would be easy to point a finger and say that I was became cocky and began to do unethical things. Believe me, I laid awake and accused myself of that many nights. But...

As I examined my actions I did find errors. I rushed shots, I failed to follow through, I misjudged yardage and I shot under conditions that were unfavorable. I offer no excuse for these mistakes and I really regret them. But as I examine my heart, I find no trace of evil in my intentions. Yes, there were times that I wanted to kill a deer too badly and it lead me to poor choices. But there were never times when I acted out of anger, greed or malice. Had I been able to freeze those moments and really study them, I would have never touched the trigger. Following both clusters of bad events I embarked on some serious soul searching and went back to the range to correct the problems.

I guess what I am trying say is that very few of us go out with bad intentions. We are, for the most part, hard working, God fearing, nature loving, family men and women. The bad ones don't waste time on forums like this (very often). The unethical thing for most of us would be to stop searching our actions and our hearts after every sot we take and to stop learning and growing from what we see in that examination.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:52 pm

The scenario with my shot from my earlier post just depicts how practicing for months every year is not enough for a humane kill every time.. let alone some 1000yrd shot that is chance at best. Like my wife told me when I ask for her opinion.. Is that deer being injured and not killed wasted and not harvested worth that shot!!

JPH I need a membership to that DOO-DOO club lolol...

Im already a member of the booger club

metrx

Postby metrx » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:25 pm

I wouldnt say that any shot that doesnt hit its mark is unethical.  I would describe an unethical shot as one that is taken recklessly or with some degree of negligence...and there are countless examples of that.  Many of us have cleanly missed our mark and many have hit deer marginally that we could not recover.  I wouldnt describe that as unethical in and of itself.  If you are only accurate out to say, 40 yards at a target with your bow, but took a shot at a deer at 50+ yards expecting to hit your mark , cleanly and accurately, well, I would say that was an unethical shot.  Also, it is measurably different for each individual.
Don't beat yourself up...it happens.  Use the experience to learn and grow and become a better hunter.

JLS

Postby JLS » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:15 am

All of us that have spent anytime in the field have one or more of those images burnt into our minds, unfortunately. My thought on that is if youre not a ethical hunter you wouln't care, at least you recovered the deer and put it down to the best of your ability.

I liked Woods Walker's advise by reducing your shot by 1/3 to 1/2, I've had a lot of crazy things happen at close range over the years A large part of archery hunting for me is all about the close encounters.

JPH said it well in his response,well said. Actually everyone that responded to your post gave sound advise, They all sound like a bunch of decent guys.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features