The NRA is strongly considering Harry Reid!!

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Sailfish

The NRA is strongly considering Harry Reid!!

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:15 am

Kind of scary don't you think? I heard an interview this a.m. with their spokesperson and she was like yes its true. The interviewers were like do you know how many members you will lose. She never even addressed that concern. Bizarre. I see this sell-out happening everywhere. CCA now NRA. Jeez

Multiple sources tell me the National Rifle Association is planning to endorse liberal Harry Reid against pro-gun champion Sharron Angle.
Two weeks ago, I told you about the carveout the NRA received in exchange for their support for the DISCLOSE ACT deal.
Then this week, RedState broke the story of the "gag order" the NRA issued to members of its Board on the Kagan nomination.
Now, I'm getting credible reports that the NRA is leaning toward endorsing Harry Reid, even though the NRA is finally saying it will score a vote on Kagan - something that was not a sure thing.
Why would they do this? Why would they go out of their way to protect a Senator who has demonstrated a repeated hostility to the Second Amendment in his votes and his leadership?
Well, I thought perhaps the NRA carveout in the DISCLOSE Act might be the answer. But, there is more. It turns out, Reid secured a $61 million earmark for a gun range in Clark County, Nevada.
NRA members were recently treated to a three-page spread in the American Rifleman about a visit to Nevada by Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox to "thank" Reid for the earmark. The article even includes a cliché picture of Reid cutting a ribbon with a gigantic pair of scissors. (Every good porker has his own giant pair of gold earmark scissors.) More here.
Here is a video of the event from Reid's youtube site.
At 3:25, you can hear LaPierre touting Reid's record on guns saying, "I also want to thank you, Senator, for your support every day for the Second Amendment and for the rights of American gun owners. "
The American Rifleman article also commends Reid's Second Amendment record noting, "His dedication to this project is just one of the ways Sen. Reid has demonstrated his support for gun owners and the Second Amendment."
Well, that's all very nice. What politician representing a pro-gun red state wouldn't want Wayne LaPierre to come out for a personal photo op at their earmark ribbon cutting.
But, here is the problem. Reid has not supported the Second Amendment "every day." Or ever.

Here is the link to the rest of the article

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2010/07/0 ... arry-reid/
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

bowboxer

RE: The NRA is strongly considering Harry Reid!!

Postby bowboxer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:24 am

i never jion nra for the fact they say onething and do something else.they are in it for the money and thats it.look i am not a reb. or dem. but the nra supported bush and bush gave some money to a anti-gun group. the reason i know this is because i has to do a report on america's money trail in college.it blew me away what presidents say and then do.you think sense i went to college i could spell better.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:12 pm

The NRA is a SINGLE ISSUE organization. It gathers data and makes reports based on one issue.......2A rights. I ran into this very thing with them in my home state years ago. The were endorsing an incumbent who had a "B" rating as far as 2A stuff goes. There was another person running against them who had a FAR stronger 2A rating, who they didn't specifically endorse. I called them and asked why, and they said that what a canndidate's stance was is only part of the "grading" that they give them. The other part is ON THEIR RECORD. If they HAVE no voting record, then it makes it harder for them to give a better rating. The system isn't perfect, but it does work for the most part. Just for the record, I weighed all the data and voted for the newcomer. I like new blood whenever possible.

Look at what they say, and then use your brain to mix that data in with everything else you know about the candidate and then make your own choice.

On another issue regarding Reid.........

Consider this, and this is NOT speculation but FACT. If Reid loses, but the Democrats retain their majority in the Senate, then guess who will have Reid's current job? It'll be the 2A Prince Of Darkness himself.....NY Senator CHUCK SCHUMER!!!! It's the head of the Senate's job to see what legislation even gets to be debated and voted on. Reid, in his tenure, has prevented several anti-gun measures from even being brought forth. We won't have that with Schumer.

Now, speaking for myself, Harry Reid is about as politically palatable as fresh dog poop, but if he's that, then Schumer is battery acid.

I'm not sayin that Reid should stay. In the best scenario the Republicans will have the Senate majority and it'll be a moot point......but what if they don't. Politics is a tricky, tricky game.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:18 am

From another forum.

"They've become much more brazen in their back door arrangements lately. Apparently they believe they are big enough that public opinion is irrelevant.

I've been an NRA member since I was an early teenager, shot competitively on a junior team, and have been a certified instructor for over 20 years. But the writing has always been on the wall and is now about all I can take. I'm glad I never scraped up enough for a life membership.

Few people understand the NRA has always been a very moderate organization when it comes to gun rights. Unfortunately, people listen to their words and not their actual actions. They talk a mean game, but the reality is they're only interested in preserving the most basic firearem ownership.

Are you aware that every single Federal gun law was supported by the NRA? Seriously, do your reasearch. They supported the 1934 NFA, the GCA 1968, the 1986 McClure Volkmer (Firearms Owner's Protection Act), the Brady HVP Act 1993 (NICS), Federal AWB 1994. Each time they argued for changes to the bills that fit their agenda, then supported the signed law.

Are you aware they fought to have the Hellar lawsuit against DC thrownout? It was a group of Libertarian lawyers that brought that case, not the NRA! They've always stated they were waiting for the right time to challenge the laws to insure a victory. How many Americans have lived and died since NFA'34, and never saw their rights restored? The real fact is they have no intention of challenging these major laws as they supported them in the first place. Charleton Heston, their late president was a major supporter of GCA'68.

There have been patriots inside the NRA over the years that tried doing the right thing, most notably Neal Knox. For the most part they become outcast and are blackballed. The propaganda campaign they waged against Neal was unreal.

If we really want change, it's time to jump ship. I'm joining GOA."

What is this GOA? Seems to be getting some talk:

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:48 am

FACT: The NRA is THE biggest gun rights organization in the world, period.

Are they perfect? No. Can they be better? Absolutley. THe membership needs to get INVOLVED, just like in everything else. It's OUR NRA!!!

The GOA is a good organization, and I certainly don't disagree with with them. But the reality is that they are ineffective. It's just math. They don't have the numbers or the influence.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:04 am

Heck the NRA endorsed Rep. Dan Burton in my district and everyone is sick and tired of this no good rotten career politician.  Even though he is extremely pro-gun he has done nothing else for the benefit of the Indiana 5th District. 

Now if only the people who didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of beating Burton in the Primary would have gotten out and supported the second place finisher, we would have new blood and still had a pro-gun candidate (even though he is a weasel).

Your right WW, politics is a tricky game, but with a bunch of dirty players.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:59 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

Multiple sources tell me the National Rifle Association is planning to endorse liberal Harry Reid against pro-gun champion Sharron Angle.

Thank you for your post. I have just fired off a letter to WAYNE asking for a no BS explanation of his comments at the Clark County Shooting Park, and, whether or not the NRA is going to support Sharron Angle.

Sometimes organizations have to make deals with the devil to get what they want, and, Wayne's gratuitous comments may have been nothing more than a polite thank you for the gun range. However, there can be NO DEAL worth supporting Reid who has a clear anti-second amendment record.

Unfortunately there is no other national organization supporting the right to own firearms & hunters rights. Whether, you admit it or not, without the NRA, no one in this country would own any type of firearm; save perhaps a single shot shotgun, and then only after going through yards of red tape.

But as NRA members, we are just like stock holders in a large corporation and it is our job to hold the board members accountable for their actions. It would do well for as many members as possible to write to Wayne LaPierre and demand a clear statement of his intentions regarding Angle vis-a-vis Reid.

Thank you for a valuable and very informative post.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:26 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

AND if you sign up now you get a $25 gift card to Bass Pro Shops!
Check you mail, I got mine today.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:01 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

AND if you sign up now you get a $25 gift card to Bass Pro Shops!
Check you mail, I got mine today.

They only do this for one reason......IT WORKS. Do you and I like it? NO! But we're not the majority apparently.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:01 am

Well, I received a reply already, to my letter to Wayne LaPierre re: Angle vs. Reid. Not surprisingly, they referred me to their blanket letter to the membership regarding this very subject. Evidently, they've received several inquiries.

The letter is HERE. It is self explanatory. Surprisingly, it appears Reid has been a valuable pro 2nd amendment proponent at times. Not enough for me to support him. However, as the NRA states, their recommendations are ONLY based on 2nd amendment issues.

That not withstanding, I'll be sending another donation to Sharron Angle as soon as I finish penning this post. The NRA may be a single issue organization, but I'm not.

Next

Return to Breaking News