tennesse deer hunting

bowboxer

tennesse deer hunting

Postby bowboxer » Fri May 14, 2010 7:07 am

hey how was the 2009 deer season for you.

DeerCamp

RE: tennesse deer hunting

Postby DeerCamp » Fri May 14, 2010 11:18 am

I went down in mid March (non hunting).. I was on spring break visting friends. Had a great time in Nashville! However I didnt see a lot of deer, but I did see a lot of turkeys there in the fields. It looked like a nice place to hunt, are there usally a lotta deer hunters around there? Or Is it more a turkey place?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Fri May 14, 2010 2:08 pm

i have not hunted nashiville,but i have hunted in smith,wilson,counties.they are alot of deer in there but mostly does.i hunt in east tennessee where some big bucks live.however big bucks that i am talking about is about 120 score with a very small amount of bigger deer.if you need any info on hunting in tennessee just post.

shaggy

Postby shaggy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:16 am

It's crazy when talking about how different Tn is. I hunt in the west and it's completly different than the east. I don't know of any other state with three differnt bag limits. I counted 85 deer the other day in two fields. It's just totally different hunting here in west Tn from what I am reading on this site. I wouldn't even want to hunt with that many doe, they would constantly bust you and the bucks would never have to move. I've just moved in the last two months and I've already got does and bucks within 45 yards of the deck.

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:11 am

hey i hear you buddy.but i did work with twra and they are not going to chage anything soon.i have be trying to find some land out west tennessee to lease but know luck.if you really like hunting big deer in tennessee you have to come to campbell county.big bodies and big racks, well 120's.

shaggy

Postby shaggy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:03 am

Yea, I read last year in the yearly guide that they weren't going to change anything. I'm fine with it thou. They know what they are doing and it's working. All the stats say that yearling bucks(1 1/2) are making it thru. Land out here is hard to come by. I've been trying for years to find some for my friends with no luck. This county regularly pulls in 120+. We have one club that only allows you to take 120+. Check it out, it's good reading www.amesplantion.org. I cant afford to pay it thou. We have an annual deer rally and every year and alot make state and a couple are knocking on B&C door. Good luck this year. I'm pumped up already.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:18 am

Nice to read about this..I am thinking about moving down to Nashville once school is all finished. Nice to know some of the younger bucks are making it, and Tennesse has some nice racks coming in. I watched a hunting show the other day of a guy shooting a nice big buck in Tennesse, not sure where at though. How are the bodies on the deer? Whats the avg size?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:44 am

it depends on where you hunt.i hunt in the mountains of east tennessee.the bodies are big in the mountains.i shot a doe last year that field dress 150 lbs.that made three i shot that field dress 150.if you hunt around lakes the body size is around 80 for does and 110 for the bucks. west tennessee has more corn and soybean fields.but the does go about 110 and buck 130 to 150. lbs.it comes down to what part of tennessee you hunt.east is best for bodies and some bigg racks. i help drag a 15 piont, and two 11 point last year. my brother shot a 5 point that weight 141 field dress.if any one needs any info i will try to help.

shaggy

Postby shaggy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:41 am

Yea, bowboxer is right. It just really depends on exactly where you are hunting. We only have corn, beans, and cotton in our area, but one is never far from the other. If you let them reach at least 2 1/2, here in west Tn they will be about 170 on the hoof. I cant say that I weigh every deer tho. Just depends on where I end up cleaning it at. You should have some good spots near Nashville.

Return to Tennessee