Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
postman

RE: Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Postby postman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:14 pm

You can buy patterns and materials at any leathercraft store for a fraction of the cost and make your own.... Good winter project.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:19 am

ORIGINAL: bowman12

Still huntging is an art, no doubt! I've had zero success at it so far.

Good advice! One thing I'll add is I read that you shouldn't ever try to be in a position so you can't shoot, makes sense because you never know when you're going to get a shot. I also watched a guy, video, still hunt a big buck one time and he took his boots off and walked in his wool socks, thought that was pretty cool. You could really "feel" your steps alot better I'd think.

I try to steer clear of heavy thicket and those thick as hell briar patches. Once those pickers get a hold of you, good luck trying to bring your rifle up to shoot. Or the many times I've still hunted through deep valleys only to watch the deer run to the top of the ridge and disappear to the other side. Even on still hunts where i was using everything to my advantage, the wind, time of day, direction, and completely silent as I stalk , somehow I get busted when I try harder at it. Its definetly a tough skill but results always vary.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:11 am

Just thought I would resurrect this thread.
Some good stuff in here, and with our new members maybe more can be added.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:18 am

Good idea Sail.

One observation:

You DO NOT need special physical skills to stillhunt. If you can walk, kneel, squat, sit, and are able to stand on one leg without losing your balance you're there.

The most difficult part of stillhunting is the MENTAL aspect. Most of us are modern humans trying to adjust to an environment of natural rythms which are completely opposite how we otherwise exist. I could write 4 pages on this, but I can simplify it by saying that until to lose all sense of time, and a constant urge in your subconscious that you have to "be somewhere", then you will be seen by the deer first before you see them.

That's literally all there is to it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:24 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I use old fashioned Converse high top "sneakers", that are a full size bigger than my normal shoe. I can get a couple pair of socks on, and/or a Thisulate bootie. They are not good for wet conditions, and I use Bean's Maine Hunting Shoe for that.

Next year, if my work picks up, I have my eye on some Carl Dyer handmade moccasin boots. Not cheap (just under $400), but built FOR THE PURPOSE OF STILLHUNTING, and they can be resoled.

Converse high tops? Now that's funny. Effective I'm sure, but funny.
Perhaps I'll break out my old air jordans and see if I'm lighter on my feet [:D]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:01 pm

ORIGINAL: scottflesher

I use old fashioned Converse high top "sneakers", that are a full size bigger than my normal shoe. I can get a couple pair of socks on, and/or a Thisulate bootie. They are not good for wet conditions, and I use Bean's Maine Hunting Shoe for that.

Next year, if my work picks up, I have my eye on some Carl Dyer handmade moccasin boots. Not cheap (just under $400), but built FOR THE PURPOSE OF STILLHUNTING, and they can be resoled.

Converse high tops? Now that's funny. Effective I'm sure, but funny.
Perhaps I'll break out my old air jordans and see if I'm lighter on my feet [:D]

NO, NO, NO........ not basketball/running/cross training/crossdressing, etc. shoes......old fashioned SNEAKERS!

Of course, if you're under 40, you probably don't even know what they are...damned kids! [;)]

All those other shoes have WAAAY too much foam rubber, and THICK SOLES.

Sneakers are pretty much just canvas and rubber, and the soles are flexible ebough that they will bend, so you can feel the ground. I actually learned about using these for hunting from an old picture and article I read about Fred Bear, who used them.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

KYdeer88

Postby KYdeer88 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:18 pm

I like to still hunt as well as stand hunt. I have only really still hunted for a few seasons so I'm no expert, but have found a few things that work. 1. is that I keep floss tied to the bow so that I can get a wind direction in a pinch. Floss works well because even a slight breez will move it. 2. I always carry a diaphram turkey call when I'm hunting. We have alot of turkeys and the deer are more than used to hearing turkeys in the woods. When turkeys feed they scratch once with one leg than twice with the other and take a step or two and repeat. The cadence is easy to pick up so I make this scratching with my feet while I work through the woods. I also make purrs,clucks, and other feeding sounds while walking like a turkey. I have walked up pretty close to deer before and this has yealded me a ML kill on a doe.
The other pluss to sounding like a turkey in the woods is that in KY I have fall turkey tags:)
I have done this "turkey walk" while hunting with a buddy who was also scratching and calling and we sounded just like a flock of birds in the woods. I can also say that after jumping deer and having them run and stop, after getting out the call and making some feeding sounds the deer seem to calm down..
Good luck

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:49 pm

I have been carrying the Egg call for a few years to imitate fall turkey, I don't think it sounds anything like spring turkey however. 

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:47 am

NO, NO, NO........ not basketball/running/cross training/crossdressing, etc. shoes......old fashioned SNEAKERS!

Chuck Taylors.

Metal roofers swear by them too.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:16 am

I don't buy ground blinds I build them out of concrete wire whitch conforms to any position you put it,( I make a 5ft round tub) then I use palm leaves, small fallen branches, pine branches, anything I can tie wrape to the concrete wire!! it works great.. well till it rains lol.. I also found that if you take abunch of pine needles and rub them on your cloths its better then scent cover that you buy in a store! thats if you have pine's in your area. Im sure there are other trees leaves/needles that give off its own natural scent!

Modeer! About 5 yrs Ago I bought a bottle of Code Blue Doe Estruse well the cap come open in my pants pocket, from walking and spilled all down my leg! I smelled like PURE CRAP..The way I sat that morning was with my back to the path I walked up! I had a buck come up the same path I did, and got with in 20 ft of me before I heard and then seen it. I told my wife the buck had full intentions of trying to rape me lol...

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking