Dan's Question of the Week: Faith in D&DH

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Everyday Hunter

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Faith in D&DH

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:16 am

ORIGINAL: berudd

As I did not read the article I can't make any specific comments. However, what I can say is that I seek out and purchase publications like D&DH because I want to read about deer hunting. I support the right that everyone has to religious freedom but I have no interest in reading religious based articles in a deer hunting publication. I would seek out religious publications if that is what I was looking for.

It's smart to avoid specific replies when we haven't read the issue being discussed -- unlike certain politicians who are against a law that they've never read. But Bruce's reply implies something else that we should be on guard against.

To keep matters of faith out of other matters is an impossibility without interjecting the attitude that faith has no place in other areas of life. We can't pigeonhole issues so neatly. When a person seeks out religious publications, he's not doing it because he's interested in religion. He's doing it because he's interested in how faith intersects with life. Faith that doesn't intersect with life is irrelevant.

Zeke has given us some great food for thought, and that's one thing I look for in anything I read.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

JonMando

Postby JonMando » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:04 am

Excellent article; I agree fully, and have struggled in like fashion. If you're not a person of faith (per the author's perspective), may I suggest you take what you can from the article? For example: do you value your marriage and kids? Don't let your hunting passion endanger those relationships. Put it in its proper place behind your family and job. (But do look into putting God first! There is life after this life . . .)  Thank you D&DH for publishing this article.

JonMando

Postby JonMando » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:06 am

Excellent article; I agree fully, and have struggled in like fashion. If you're not a person of faith (per the author's perspective), may I suggest you take what you can from the article? For example: do you value your marriage and kids? Don't let your hunting passion endanger those relationships. Put it in its proper place behind your family and job. (But do look into putting God first! There is life after this life . . .)  Thank you D&DH for publishing this article.

Pastor Ted

Postby Pastor Ted » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:18 am

[font="Times New Roman"][/font] Great article..and the truth will set us free from that which becomes an obsession and idolatry in our lifes. Our Lord, our creator, the One who gave us His great outdoors, whether it be on the water or in the woods, He expects us to enjoy His creation and thank Him for all His blessings. I must say 2 years ago I was so driven and obsessed with getting a deer that it had a troubling effect on my walk with the Lord, which needs to be the priority in our life, especially since I am a pastor. Now that my life is balanced the way it needs to be, I am enjoying my time in the woods even more, in fact I got my first deer this past season on Friday Nov 6. I leave you with this from God's Word, "As the hart (deer) panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God." Psalm 42:1 Pastor Ted

vgodenwa

Postby vgodenwa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:25 am

Great article.
I would caution one thing.
We are stuck with the narrow timing of the rut, and we are stuck with the law of a deer season. So, it is hard not to get excited about it because it is only a couple of weeks out of a 52 week year (unless you live in MS - 4 months[:D]). I don't want to worship it, but if I wasn't passion about it, I wouldn't do it. And I can only do it when it is legal, and really productive during the rut.
The point? We can't be too hard on ourselves, IMHO, if we are a little excited during the rut. If this motivates us to work like a dog all year for money and family, my wife laughs about being a hunting widow a couple of weeks per year. She is wise enough to prefer it over chasing women at bars. And then it is back to the grindstone for another long summer.
Von

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

JonMando, Pastor Ted, vgodenwa, welcome to the D&DH forums.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Spike

Postby Spike » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:55 am

A man who asks such a question already knows his answer. Try reading some of Steven Chapman's books while you are on stand. Hunting should not take priority over God. Go hunting with him and bring a friend. Share the hunt and the gospel. Teach an inexperienced hunter or youth what you know about hunting and about God. Fellowship with God can be most appreciated when you watch the sun rise, or smell the fall. All you really have to do is remember where to focus.

That was a great article. The same could be said by golfers, bowlers, etc....God wants you to be happy and to have fun. Let him be your source of joy and go hunting with him. Remember, Jesus hung out with a bunch of fishermen.........
Spike

NatKingJoe

Postby NatKingJoe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:21 am

[font="verdana"]Zeke,

"Stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong, do all things in Love." Well said my brother. We are to be good stewards of all our resources, including time and energy. I personally believe their is a balance that can be had and the time I do spend outdoors brings me closer to God, The God who created all this for us to enjoy. But indeed if a video was shown and bank notes were posted I'd have to say I have been beyond passionate about this sport. Thanks for the encouraging reminder to be more faithful to Him than to it! Our commission is to fish for men and the debt we owe is deserving of that and eternally more!
Respectfully
Joe W Shannon [:)]
[/font]

fairchasehunter

Postby fairchasehunter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:52 am

I am deeply offended by this article. How dare you challenge my priorities about deer hunting. This season when I think about hunting on Sunday morning or spending too much money on hunting. When I day dream of that big buck instead of work, I will think about this article and whether I have veered off the path of balance. Thank-you very much. I needed that.

Wild Bill

Postby Wild Bill » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:20 pm

Interesting thread title, "Faith in D&DH". Yes, I have faith in D&DH to publish some fine articles. The one in question here is also,IMHO, good, even for unbelievers in God.

Maybe it's my age, but, for the last few seasons I've contemplated the possibility of not hunting as much as I have, or maybe due to illness never hunting again. Last season I had a difficult time due to needed house repairs and my wife becoming seriously ill. Though weekly I would get my hopes up of getting out to hunt, one thing or another prevented me from doing so. I hunted a total of three times. Saw deer only twice and missed a gimmie 30yd shot with a 30-30. My troubles soured my time afield, though while there I almost felt normal and enjoyed myself. I normally bow hunt about twenty five days a season and average two or more deer a season. I suffered some serious withdrawal and now better understand the need to set priorities in my life.

I believe God is in my life and I am walking a little closer to him than I had. My wife made a great recovery and my house is in a much better condition. I am truly grateful for the blessings I've had and hopefully deer hunting will be in some of the days of my remaining time in this world. If not, oh well, " eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, nor entered into the hearts of men, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him."

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features