Dan's Question of the Week: Faith in D&DH

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
Twofeathers

RE: Dan's Question of the Week: Faith in D&DH

Postby Twofeathers » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:14 pm

Dan
I have to completly agree on this. Yes any thing to include hunting can become a God. You are very bold and I love your faith in God. Thank you for standing tall for our father in this world that is trying to remove God. It is men like us that make the differnece.Don,t ever stop being bold for Jesus.
I am very guilty of spending more time talking about bow hunting than talking to people about Jesus.Thanks for the wake up call. He is forever tlaking if we just listen. God Bless you

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:04 am

Like others have said I am not a very religous person. I found the article very good at pointing out how easy it can be to put too much emphasis on deer hunting to the point where it becomes too important in your life. It really was an eye opener for me and I am grateful for having read it.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:36 am

Well the article certain has brought about a bunch of new members and brought out some members to post who haven't been around.

Very impacting article
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:06 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

ORIGINAL: berudd

As I did not read the article I can't make any specific comments. However, what I can say is that I seek out and purchase publications like D&DH because I want to read about deer hunting. I support the right that everyone has to religious freedom but I have no interest in reading religious based articles in a deer hunting publication. I would seek out religious publications if that is what I was looking for.

It's smart to avoid specific replies when we haven't read the issue being discussed -- unlike certain politicians who are against a law that they've never read. But Bruce's reply implies something else that we should be on guard against.

To keep matters of faith out of other matters is an impossibility without interjecting the attitude that faith has no place in other areas of life. We can't pigeonhole issues so neatly. When a person seeks out religious publications, he's not doing it because he's interested in religion. He's doing it because he's interested in how faith intersects with life. Faith that doesn't intersect with life is irrelevant.

Zeke has given us some great food for thought, and that's one thing I look for in anything I read.

Steve

Well said Steve. I would say that if one's religious convictions do not carry over into their public life, then they are not religious convictions at all.

In a moment of anger my teenage son once told me, "If you keep pushing church all the time, you are going to drive me away from it." Rather than respond with my own anger (which is all too common for me), I prayed for the right response. What came out of my mouth was, "So you are saying that the way to get you to live your faith is to stop living mine. What sense does that make?" My son just stared at me. For once he had no comeback.

I don't think the author was trying to push anyone into a corner. I think he was openly expressing his perspective on hunting as a Christian. A person can take it or leave it, but I think it does deserve respect.

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:00 am

I would say that if one's religious convictions do not carry over into their public life, then they are not religious convictions at all.

I agree, like you always say: "Preach the Gospel every day. If necessary, use words."
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DoubleDropTine

Postby DoubleDropTine » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Zeke Pipher article was a breath of fresh air; I agree 100% with him and I believe all Christians should give it some thought and dwell on what the article is talking about.

SCBowhunter

Postby SCBowhunter » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:10 pm

[size="5"][font="arial"][:D] [size="4"]Absolutely one of the best articles I've ever read in D&DH magazine! I hope to see more like it in the future---great job Mr. Pipher! If anyone at all blasts this article, they need a "spiritual" check up with the Great Creator. Also, at of respect for God and the wildlife we hunt, it should be a wake-up call for all we read it, and that began with me! Good work D&DH for not being ashamed to publish it, and for not taking God out of one the the magazines and sports I so dearly love! ---SCBowhunter[/size][/font][/size]

singleshot

Postby singleshot » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:41 pm

It's not often I reply to a post but this one moved me. I was brought up to put your faith first in all things. The only time you will not find my family in the outdoors is during church services. Prayer is part of our hunting and fishing life. Thank you for a great article.

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:07 pm

I think Rev. Zeke may suffer from Bipolar II disorder. He needs to talk to a psychologist. If you get so high on anything and suffer such a letdown afterward there is definitely a problem. Hunting is a sport or maybe a passion, but not a God. I love hunting as much as anyone. When I was working, I'd take 4 weeks vacation in November and another week in the Spring to work on the farm. But once the season is over, we need to move on. If you dwell on the season after it's over, you are living in the "past", therefore not living. Google "mindfulness" to understand what I'm talking about,maybe this will help. The Rev. needs other hobbies too. Go work on the farm, plant some trees, commune with the one and only God, and ask him to help you get a perspective. Hell, if it's that bad just go sit on stand and enjoy what God has given you. While on stand make a list of what you are grateful for. When God said,'You shall have no other God's before me", I think, and I repeat that I think, because I'm not a Bible scholar, God might have been talking about God's from other religions than Christianity. i.e. Buddha, Mohammed, Satan, etc., etc. Wasn't the golden calf an idol and not a false God ? Live for the moment. Yesterday I was seven, tomorrow I'll be seventy. Time Flies. 

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:05 pm

This was an most excellent article.  I don't get out into the woods to hunt or fish or enjoy the outdoors nearly as much as I would like to.  I absolutely love the peacefulness and serenity I experience when I do get there.  I feel that I'm closest with God and focus more on my spiritual beliefs when I have His creation before me and feel my place in the grand scheme of things...  But if that becomes the only thing important to you, then maybe it's not the right way to live your life.

@Bob,  when the lord said have no other gods before me, he meant let NOTHING be more important than Him... Moreso than other actual deities from othe religions, it is necessary to keep God at the forefront of your choices and decisions... when a person becomes motivated by power, money, possessions, etc, that's when you make that thing your God.  If you live your life and make your choices based on the Word and its teachings, that is keeping the one true God at the forefront.

PreviousNext

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features